Why am I more accurate at 15yds than 7?

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Dizzll, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

I've never really been a technical shooter ( I could use a lot of schooling) but for some reason I consistently have tighter groupings at 15yds than at 7. Both 2 hand, strong supported with fixed stock sights on my Glock 19. Anya dvice or logic for this?

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You think maybe you could be a little farsighted?

Possibly you are not getting the same sight aim picture of the target at these two distances?

LOL..Maybe it's due to the handgun just being a Glock? :D

Jack

3. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

maybe it means you're far-sighted. (your eyes, not the gun ;))

4. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

dang it, you beat me to it.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Perhaps you are a better "Full Picture" person. Or have a condition with your eyes were the sights are clearer when you are focusing beyond the front sight??

The same way people can't drive in a straight line if they watch the hood ornament?

Can't say for sure brother unless I could see you shoot and see what your groups look like and how they got that way.

Have you considered finding an approved instructor?

JD

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Is it maybe possible that since you're closer to the target and can see the bullets striking the paper, you are looking for where you are grouping instead of concentrating on form/sight picture and not following through on your shots?
    Just a thought

7. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Probably this, I am 20/20 eyesight. I'm thinking it's because I can't see the rings,numbers etc at the farther distance and I really just trust the sights. At closer distances I have to admit I'm watching the paper, I just don't know how to not lol...I had to qualify with my g19 today and the guy was cracking up cuz i was 5" at 15yds but had a few strays at 7...

8. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the concept of "More Accurate". If you find out what causes it, I'll buy it!

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

We have something in common. I am 20/20 hindsight. :D

10. utf59

utf59 New Member

I've seen people shoot more poorly either when they are at shorter distance or shooting at larger targets. They are either distracted by what they can see happening to the target, or they are less concerned about hitting it because it's so easy. I've watched a friend of mine tighten groups by over an inch when he started shooting at a smaller target — same distance, same gun, same ammo — but he had to concentrate on what he was doing.

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Can you show a picture of the target you are using? I am more accurate on a target with lots of lines and marks of distinction than I am on a big black circle.

12. Car54

Car54 New Member

I think just as utf59 wrote, you are probably concentrating more because the target is further away and more of a challenge to shoot better than having the target closer to you.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

With today's fashions for females, it is hard not to be. :p

14. hey um im sorta new to the forum and ive noticed a few people hating on glock and i dont understand why. is it because they are made of alot of plastic?

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Aim Small/Miss Small

I think you may be focusing on the holes your making at closer range rather than focusing on your sight picture and sight placement as you do at long ranges where the holes are harder to see.

I've noticed the same thing while checking the zero on my deer rifle at 100 yards. If my scope's dialed back to 3, I shoot tight groups, If I crank the scope up to 10 and can actually see the holes as I'm make them, my groups open up.

16. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

It's all a matter of personal preference, some people like GMC trucks and others like Ford and Dodge. Glock owners seem to "glorify" the firearm to the point of fanboy worship, and yes, they are polymer guns and some people do not like that.

I have shot them and used them in the past and I do not like the way they fit in my hand or their ergonomics, so to speak. A handgun should fit in your hand, feel comfortable and fell like a natural functioning part and an extension of your hand when you engage it. If after you have tried out and shot various different makes and calibers of handguns, and the Glock feels that way to you every time you shoot it, then by all means, get yourself a Glock.

People can recommend all makes of handguns to you, but what you ultimately choose, should be based on your personal, intimate and ultimate decision of what fits and feels just right for you. :cool:

Here is just one of many, many links on the Interwebz concerning Glock dislike. I think this guy does a very good job, and presents his own opinions of pros and cons very well of why he is not a fan, and he presents some interesting factual descrpencies.

Not a Glock fan

Jack

17. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

I have seen this before. Try shooting at a smaller bulleye at 7 yards. Some people have a harder time getting a good sight picture with a larger target. Try shooting at a 2" bulls eye.

18. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

All in good fun. Just personal preference. You want to stand up with the boys just give us an elbow back, just keep it in good humor. :p