Why .45 acp ammunition?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Gojubrian, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

With the lack of availibility and cost going up up up is it worth it to shoot .45?

Most of the shooting will be done at the range anyway for most everyone, even LEO's.

9mm and .40S&W rounds are more than capable of taking down bad guys.

So, what's the logic behind getting and shooting .45? You just have money to waste? :D

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It's not the ammo - it's the platform that shoots it. While there are 1911s pattern guns in other calibers, a true 1911 is in .45 ACP. I picked up the Para P16 in .40 just so I have options if .45 becomes hard to find...

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I kind of thought so. The 1911 is truly a sought after platform, but at the cost of .45acp...... I've seen them as high as $45 for 100rds of winchester white boxes....that's insane.

Wouldn't a 1911 shoot .40's and 9mm just as well? :confused:

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

There are 1911's in 40 and 9mm made by a number of manufacturers. I haven't seen prices as high as you mentioned but the price of all ammo is climbing. The cartiridge itself has been around for over 100 years and is still the bench mark that handgun rounds are compaired to. In the world of semi auto handguns, 45 acp IS the round to beat and so far, it hasn't been.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Sure they do and I've had a 9mm and currently have a .40 right now. While I can pick up a decent 1911 for $500, it's very difficult to find a decent single stack 9mm or .40 1911 for anywhere near that price. A fella I know has a Kimber Classic Stainless II in .40 and I've been after him for months to sell it to me - no joy...

6. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

The need to handload.

Goju, with your post in the Pros/Cons on hand loading, this answers some of the questions. I can shoot my Govt. Model .45acp. with my hand loads cheaper than you can shoot .22Mag,.32acp,.380,.38Spl.++on+on. There is NOTHING like the mass of lead that a Big Bore puts on the target, and .45acp. has proven to be one of the best!!:);)

7. layton

layton New Member

I take it you are questioning why just burn up the higher priced rounds at the range for the most part, am I right in that assumption?

Layton

8. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

My answer is bigger is better and I stock up on bulk 45 acp reloading supplies whenever there's a sale.
    P.S. I was regretting not getting a .40 for a while,........

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What did they tell you over on the firing line?

MotivationalPosterfor191145ACP.jpg

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Hmmmm Cane, now I have a question:

Who's tougher to bring down, crackheads or zombies?

As for me, I'll continue to shoot the venerable .45 at them until it's proven that there's something better...

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I dislike forum jumpers. :(

What was the response on the Firing Line by the way?

Why shoot the .45?

What do you care what I shoot?1?

Why have a rifle chambered in .50BMG when those rounds are $5/piece.

Why have more than one pistol?

Why study martial arts when a knife and a handgun will do you a lot better?

Why drive when walking/riding a bike is better for you?

Why eat 2400 calories a day when you can get by on 1600.

Who are you to judge?!

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Borrowed this pic from the thread on TFL, and it does show that a picture is worth a thousand words - this is why I like .45 ACP:

Attached Files:

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, we have no Zombie Empirical Data I am afraid.

But, in the case of Black Hawk Down, in Mark Bowden's Excellent Book, it was stressed OVER and OVER again the indigenious personnel, who were high on kawt, where impossible to bring down with, small, fast moving, projectiles from both the AR-15's and the M9's.

Based on what I have seen and read, and that excellent picture above, it's a pretty easy choice to me.

Don't we have a firearm's trainer here, and isn't one of his MAIN RULES to train with WHAT YOU HAVE?? :rolleyes:

JD

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  14. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

If you reload its not that expensive to shoot 45acp. If im not mistaken wasnt the 45 acp round developed during our war in the phillipines because the 38 cartridge did not have enough stopping power. I love shooting my rock Island 45 acp I feel like it would stop anybody even jason or mike myers.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I shoot .45 ACP because J.M. Browning designed it for my 1911 pattern pistol. I just love total system engineered assemblies!

1Federal Premium Law Enforcement HST.jpg

If you want to shoot the 9 mike mike, buy a Browning High Power. Another outstanding system engineered assembly.

Please note; the visionary John Moses Browning felt it necessary to equip the Browning HP with extra rounds (almost twice) over the M1911.

I'm just sayin'. [​IMG]

And what do you shoot? I'm not interested.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

zombie-cat.jpg

^ ZOMBIES...be afraid......be very afraid!

17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

One more, pretty much covers it:

Attached Files:

18. orangello

orangello New Member

I chose a .45 (not a 1911) because i wanted to be launching the biggest chunk of lead my aging arms could handle to improve my chances of stopping whatever i was shooting at. I don't have a great understanding of ballistics, but i get the general idea that being hit by a big rock carries more force than being hit by a smaller rock if they are travelling at similar speeds. After some time together, i must admit that i am quite fond of the large lovin of a .45. :)

I was not aware of the ammo shortage/situation/cost and am currently considering other ways to get practice ammo and am finding other ways to satisfy my need for plinking fun.

Maybe when i'm old & have nothing better to do with my time, i'll learn to appreciate a pistol that can be fully customized functionally speaking like a 1911 pattern pistol. Until that time, i'll just have to shoot "off the rack".

Like a pretty lil flower, a fast-moving, deadly flower. :D

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

the box of 5000 bullets and the 6# of powder in my reloading room say 45acp is not going to be scarce for me for a long time.

I thought we all shoot the 45 because we have small wankers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Besides, the variations in the platform are each beautiful in their own way. The S&W got some enhancements this evening.

I guess since I have five 1911s, I must be making up for a lack of something - MONEY!

[​IMG]