1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I'm failing to understand the employ of 380 as, well, anything.

With the size of modern 9mm, there's not much more snap or size to a 9 these days.

Is it the width? That's the only measurement I could see making any difference at all...

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Then again, this coming from the guy carrying a 25.

3. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

.380 is shorter than 9, giving manufacturers the ability to produce smaller more concealable firearms. Some people have the need for such a small, slim firearm, and don't want a .22, or .25, or .32. So they get a .380.

4. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

You can't build a 9mm as small as you can a .380.
    The .380 overall length is shorter.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The Kel Tec 380 weighs 8.3 oz and one can easily conceal it in the pocket of wool slacks that show anything in your pocket. About the only time I wear a suit is to wedding or a funeral. That tells you how often I carry a 380.

6. Mouser

Mouser Member

uhh...just because. Sometimes it does not matter really that much why...most of the weapons I own, I own because I like to shoot them and they make me happy to own and operate. I'd like a Walther PPK and it will be a 380 when I get it. I don't need it, I just want it. That is enough for me. I likely won't carry it concealed as like the op said, I will carry my 9mm shield but I will still own a .380 if I want to. I'd really love to get my hands on a Browning.380 one day. Presently, I do not own a .380 but I think that will change in the not too distant future.

7. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I had a PPK in 380 once. Then I let my Dad shoot it. Now he owns it. Some things are just fun and fit right. It doesn't have to make sense for ballistics and self defense.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The smallest 380 I know of is the KelTec: 5.2 x 3.5 x 0.8

Rohrbaugh R9: 5.2 x 3.7 x 0.8

Kahr CM9: 5.3 x 4 x 0.9

I can't imagine weight being at all a factor in pocketable guns, I mean come on. Maybe a person's own weight had something to do with it. I don't even need a belt with my pocket guns and they weigh up to 23oz empty.

I guess a big belly pushing down from above might make a difference. Couldn't possibly have thought of that, having zero personal experience. But yeah, okay, validity achieved.

Thanks for the help fellas. So 380 has none for me, hopefully never will. But it could for some, depending on their body dimensions. Huh, what a wild world.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

When I wear my everyday clothes I consider a G19 as a pocket pistol. But there are times a 380 comes in handy. Just like your 25 comes in handy for you. Not saying I don't have a belly but my belly never stops me from concealing a weapon.

In a pinch I have no problems concealing a Blackhawk with a 6" barrel. There are people in this world that are so off the hook you can't carry enough weapons if you are forced to confront them. I am not one to be intimidated.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A .380 is a much lower pressure round. Most guns in .380 use a fixed barrel, blowback action. A 9mm needs a locked breech (or very heavy slide in the case of the high point) to safely operate.

It is a matter of economics. A .380 can be had for half the price of a comparably sized 9mm.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

AND, before people start to decry the .380 as anemic, it was designed by God (AKA John Browning). Any disparaging remarks are sacreligious

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it like any other cartridge has it's limits. once you learn it's limits and respect them, it will perform as it was designed to do.

it's not a long distance target or hunting cartridge. it was designed for up close and personal usage.

13. Mercator

Mercator New Member

There are more current locked breech models in 380 today than blowbacks: all Keltecs, all Rugers, all Berettas, all mini-1911's, Glock, Bodyguard, DB, 738, Kahr, MDE, etc. Vs PPK, Bersa, sig 232, guardian, that's about it.

I think there are two reasons why the .380 round is competitive. One, the pistol will always be a tad smaller and lighter than a comparable 9mm. A tad grows into a big difference when it spends all day in your pocket. Two, all 9mm Para ammo is banned for civilian use in many countries.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  14. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

One of those doesn't seem to fit into the comparison. Money buys smallness haha.

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I moved from carrying an LC9 either in my front right pocket or IWB at 4 oclock to mainly carrying an LCP in my right front pocket.

The reason for the change is that on Labor Day weekend of 2013, I had some sort of spasms in my colo-rectal juncture that caused a constriction at that connection. The colo-rectal juncture is just above your left hip bone right on the belt line. I find it uncomfortable to cinch a belt down tight and do not want to cause any more constriction at that point for obvious health reasons.

The LCP loaded with Fiocchi Extrema JHP allows me to carry a very lightweight SD pistol that meets FBI ballistic protocols with no discomfort or concern for my long term GI health.

16. indy36

indy36 New Member

I carry a Sig P238 in a leather holster on a belt with my shirt untucked quite often. When I do I often forget it's on my hip. I've never said that about any 9mm gun. The point is to carry a gun you'll actually carry and the Sig fits that bill for me. I like that it has night sights and I carry it cocked-and-locked. I use the mag with the extended floor plate so I get all my fingers on the grip. This thing is well made and I'd trust my life to it in close situations, which is what it's for. I think, many times, people think if you can't kill 8 people from 35 yards with it then the gun has zero use but most encounters are close and don't involve you pulling a belly gun to take out a movie theatre shooter from the back row. I carry this little .380 because I will actually carry it, I am prepared for close encounters, I know it will go bang and I feel comfortable controlling it and my round placements, and I like it. For a random day it's a better choice for my belt than my HK or my full-size 1911. I have something for close and if the threat is way away then I'm out the door anyway. That's why the .380 is still a valid round, even if people question it.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403783708.284142.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

I own a .380

I also own 3 9mm. My .380 is the Bersa Thunder 380. For about $300 you can own a 380 caliber (Bersa) that is a PPK clone, is very fun and easy to handle and makes a perfect concealed carry or glovebox gun. With JHP ammo for carrying, it has MORE than enough punch to stop a bad guy.

Try one out...

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Why not the 938? Weight difference not even noticeable...

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Love the information and replies here fellas! Good stuff

20. indy36

indy36 New Member

Honest answer, because I was at the range one time with friends. We all brought various guns and it was an 'open' shoot, you see something on the table you are free to shoot it. At the time I had owned several small guns (9x18, .380, 9mm, and .45) there was something I didn't like about all of them. The Makarov pinched my little finger and the Ruger felt cheap and was really snappy on recoil and the sights were terrible. My compact 1911 in .45 was nice looking but heavy and it wasn't any fun to shoot either. Tiny 9mm guns weren't any better. At this point, John, a buddy of a buddy, asked me to try his P238. Instantly I knew that I liked it and when I shot it that was reinforced. It's the best .380 on the market. Not 2 minutes ago I read an email newsletter from Gun Auction that said the same thing so I'm not alone. They liked it too. To date, I have yet to shoot the 9mm version. Who knows, maybe I will love it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk