Why .22`s are going up in price

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by BtDoctur, Jan 12, 2014.

1. BtDoctur

BtDoctur New Member

From a gunauction site I visit that had the Bucket of Bullets case of ammo for auction. Average selling store price is about $63.00 a bucket .Times that by 4
    and its around $252.00 .This guy bid $690.00 for the case. That's $172.50 per bucket.
    THAT IS ONE INSANE BIDDER THAT WILL NEVER SELL AT ANY PROFIT.

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

That is 3x the normal price. If someone is making good money and they really wanted the ammo that is no big deal. Hell, if I had a good night playing cards and I had no 22 LR ammo I would have bought it. You have to figure your gas and time. If you make several 50 mile plus trips looking for ammo, end up late for work a couple times you have paid that much for ammo, just not all at once.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I bought a brick of Federal .22 for $5.30/ 50 rd box by the time shipping figured in. Idiots who pay as much as that dude did are definitely not helping to get the price back to normal.

4. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

About a month ago, I stumbled across a 555 count brick of Win LR. at the local WallyWorld. The price was what these things should be sold for - $21.77.

Of course, it's a free market and any seller is entitled to sell for whatever he can get from a willing buyer........

I'm in no pinch for 22s, so no inflated prices for me.....Those sellers can keep their stock.......

Bayou

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Ridiculous price. The fact that someone is bidding that high is a sign of one of two things, either the market is still ridiculously tight and some folks will pay anything OR the seller has a shill working with them on the bidding.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I just bought a tin can of Federal bulk 325 rds for $17.99 @. Our LGS is getting .22 ammo in every week now.:)

7. vincent

vincent New Member

Simple supply and demand, you have a LOT of new shooters, as well as the panic buyers...

The supply has remained static while the demand has risen exponentially. It's been happening for a few years, but only now are we seeing the effects...

It'll level off (hopefully) sooner than later as the manufacturers are cranking them out as fast as they can.

I hope, but doubt, that prices will come back to 'normal' levels someday...

If someone is willing to overpay for an item, then that's what it's worth...technically...

I haven't bought any .22 in a couple of years, haven't needed to, but I always have an eye out for it and it's pretty dry in this area...

8. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

As eatmydust suggests this may be bogus bidding. The seller may also be the bidder and just trying to inflate the market.

You can't fight the true effects of Supply and Demand. It does really work.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I was at the Golden Spike Gun show in Ogden, Utah this weekend. The "Hoarders" were trying to sell off all kinds of ammo and powder etc. There were dozens of CPM Garands and AR-15s for sale. Prices will drop, demand and sanity are replacing panic buying. ;)

10. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

In the January 2014 issue of American Rifleman there is an article about the ammo shortage. I glanced over it but nothing to write home about. Lots of new shoorter - especially women - up like 46% over previous year.

11. BtDoctur

BtDoctur New Member

Because of bidders like this on gunauction.com
    1 Remington bucket of Bullets $179
    2000 ronds of 22 mag $595.00
    1000rnds of Win .22 $150.00 buy for $200.00
    2000 rnds of M-22 $257.00
    Case of bucket of bullets(4 buckets) $675.00

12. boredintr

boredintr New Member

It is the availability and production of lead that is dropping off lead is a good investment right now believe it or not just planning for the future

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

13. Colby

Colby New Member

I know a gun shop owner. He tells me that the industry production numbers for 22 ammo are currently much higher than pre-scare - like 2-3 times higher. He tells me where it is going my state - and it is a lot of ammo!

He also tells me that as soon as he gets any 22 ammo in - which is not often due to high demand by the various retailers - it is sold off his shelf usually that same day .... often by one or two individuals, whoever happens to be there when the ammo is put out.
    This, he agrees, is hoarding.

Prices will likely remain high - with hoarding.
    And it could go on for quite some time. It has been since 2011, already - and going strong.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

It's simply supply and demand.

Birdbrain mentalities are at the bottom of it.

Preppers, like Chicken Little, who, somehow, think

500,000 rounds of 22 ammo is going to save them

from Armageddon; and Flippers, like Vultures who

are opportunistically picking the meat from the bones

of the chronically impatient.

Until we ALL take a much more casual attitude

towards buying 22LR, prices will rise, and

supplies will be poor.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

From what I understand we are going to see an increase in the price of 22LR ammo once demand dies down. Manufacturers have purchased new equipment to boost production and the quality of 22 LR ammo. Naturally the cost of equipment is going to be passed down to consumers.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The cost of ammunition is sinking faster than the "Titanic'. I was at the South Town Gun Show in SLC. There were all kinds of ammo at marked down prices. Even the idiot "Hoarders" had rented tables were trying to unload the .22 rim-fire. I think manufactures and retailers are going to be fighting a Hugh surplus of ammunition. :)

17. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

therewolf is right - supply and demand. Some are paying those kinds of prices.

Hopefully those buying and trying to resell at outlandish prices are also paying outlandish prices.

Hopefully the market will very soon settle down, mfg's flood places like Walmart with boxes of 325-555 rounds and the greedy ones get stuck with them at their prices.

18. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I like the way you think - truly hope it becomes contagious. In my area, it's really bad - I'm down to 22 subsonic fodder I never was impressed with but mysteriously takes on added value when it's all you 've got or can get.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  19. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

Gander Mountain has 22LR in their current ad for about .05 a round.

20. coonbait

coonbait Member

I feel bad for the young and the new shooters who want to enjoy the shooting sport and because of greed and hoarding can't buy or afford any 22's.