Why 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by anthonymartinez138, May 29, 2012.

1. anthonymartinez138

anthonymartinez138 New Member

Why is it that 1911s are just flat out sexy? Sorry I know this is just a ramble but if I go to the glock or xd forum they will do me anally

2. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Old guys tend to gravitate back to what they carried when they were in BDUs.

That's why I love the 45ACP cartridge.

But the 1911A1s have certain flaws that you can best overcome by moving on, to CZ Ruger or Sig, such as double action.

If you think a gun is "sexy" then you are doing it all wrong. Has nothing to do with sexy. Has everything to do with combat performance. Right now the CZ's are making the most and selling the best around the world.

That looks like an el cheapo glock in your avatar Tony. Note therefore that there are much better guns available. But they are not cheap.

You can even spend a ton of money on a gussied up 1911A1 and even chrome it up. But it will always be inferior to a CZ Ruger or Sig.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2012

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

A 1911 is just a real man's gun........

Tupperware is for the kitchen.

(Now, for those of you who aren't sure, this is meant to start some ****):D

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The 1911 is a thinking person's firearm.

It provides observers the image that the owner knows how to handle it and him (or her) self.

Very unlike all the others

5. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

The 1911 is a very rugged, relatively simple design, the fact that its basic design has gone unchanged for over 100 years speaks volumes about the gun. Wether or not another design is better just because it's DA instead of SA is purely a matter opinion, NOT fact.

This creation of John Moses Browning is beautiful because it's simple, dependable, rugged, and deadly. The same can be said for many other handguns, but for me personally, nothing sits in my hand as comfortably as a 1911.

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I love holding a 1911 because you know that you have something. I can shoot good with a polymer framed gun too but the weight takes me back to being a kid shooting a plastic gun with the suction cup darts. I love the weight and accuracy of a 1911

7. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Here is my accuracy with my CZ 45ACP at 25 yards, benched (on the left), and offhand (on the right) with Remington factory ammo.

Let me see yours so we can compare. I am guessing there is not a lot of difference. These are 8 inch (small) paper plates. I like them for archery practice because they are about the size of the vital zone of a buck deer, so I use them for pistol and rifle as well.

Although I will agree that the 1911A1's are extremely well suited for competition shooting, for self defense I would want a double action instead.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  8. anthonymartinez138

anthonymartinez138 New Member

I like SA because if the hammer isnt cocked then it's safe ^_^ well either way I only point my gun at something I plan to shoot

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

These are 10" targets at 20yrds with my High Standard 1911A1

ForumRunner_20120529_175504.jpg

20111020_203613-1.jpg

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

That's some decent shooting!

But doesn't the CZ allow the option of the first shot being double or single action, and the rest single action (ala 1911)?

IMO, if I am shooting most of my rounds single action, then why do I need a double action pistol for the first shot?

11. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Your groups are about the same size as mine. Your ammo may be a little better though. I can't tell what is offhand and what is benched.

Nice shooting.

12. PlaysWithZombies

About the same? I better get my eyes checked :rollseyes:

Nice shooting Wray.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I didnt do offhand, my offhand is "alright" but it could be alot better. Both targets are standing,stronghand. I used some of my Hornady TAP ammo

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thanks brother, i kept quite a few targets.those are my best two from that day.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

MrWray's groups are a third to half the size of shoobee's groups! yes shoobee needs his eyes checked, or needs more pratice!:eek::D

MrWray, good groups!

16. PlaysWithZombies

I'm sure shoobee made all of those shots in DA though, if he'd fired SA they totally would've been as tight as Wrays' ;)

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thank ya axxe, im better at 20yds and in,i dont practice much past 20 anymore.

Here is another target at 20yds, it was about 3 magazines before the other two. The pattern isnt as tight and i actually threw my last shot out somehow. I think i lost my proper sight picture

20120529_181619-1.jpg

18. kycol

kycol New Member

I'm not going to, no I'm not. Momma said if you don't have something nice to say...................any way nice shooting mrwray

19. kycol

kycol New Member

Samuel Colt was a great gun marker, and Colts are top line some of the best firearms around. Even they recognized the brilliance of John Mosses Browning, hence the 1911 Nuff said

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

most of my pistol shooting is done at 10-15 yards. personally if i need further range than that, then it's time for me to go to a shotgun or rifle! still nice shooting MrWray. :D

Kycol, go ahead, you know you want to!:eek:

Zombie, shoobee is a long range target pistol shooter and much better trained then we are.:rolleyes: