Who's Ready For A Garden?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by TLuker, Feb 26, 2014.

1. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

It's still a little early but spring is just around the corner and it's just about time to start planting (April 1st for me). I'm hoping my ground dries up enough for me to till it this weekend. I put a few cool season things in some starter trays Sunday and the radishes have already germinated and started to sprout. I even started a few tomatoes but I'll put them in larger containers for a little while after they germinate. I guess this week will be a good time to order a few extra seeds and some small fruit trees.

So who else is itching to get out in the garden and what's on the agenda for getting ready? :)

2. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393454148.651197.jpg pulling the tractor out this week. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393454186.000606.jpg this is only half. It's one acre big. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393454246.415198.jpg this is a July picture of the pantry. It doubles in August. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393454463.131336.jpg teaching him right. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393454490.626170.jpg headed to the market.

3. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Sorry for all the pictures. Haha. I'm excited. It's a lot of work and I'm ready to give up fighting weeds at the end of July but to be able to eat from your garden year round is great.

4. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Nice Pictures! Do you sell stuff at the local farmers market?

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Oh, I am so ready.:)

6. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Yeah. I've been doing a market for three years now, four this year mostly summer I suck at spring and fall.Haha. We are homesteaders and put away most of our stuff and sell once a week at a health food store.Its a blast. I love gardening.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Were ready, unfortunantly our weather is not the high today was 10 deg with a -4 windchill. This time last year I was in the garden with my tiller . :(

8. Jimski

Jimski Member

I'm chompin at the bit to get my garden started! But it will be a while before I can start puting plants in the ground. Here in northern Illinois were at risk of a hard frost till about mid May. My mouth is starting to water just thinking about them juicey garden tomatoes!

9. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I'm in NC. My garden goes in first of march and ends mid November. We have a long season.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Garden, what garden? All I see is a foot of snow :(

11. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

we plan to put in some strawberry & tomato plants, maybe a pumpkin or 2 if we have room. we're not going big, just gonna use a few spaces already tilled & landscape blocked that the previous owner did. she had a garden too, had fake flowers planted all over :confused: we've got a trellis between the house & the garden shed & i may try to get a grapevine starting on there.

but the ground is still froze down about 5 feet & it's gonna be -15 tonight.....so no gardening anytime soon

12. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

An 8'x8' will feed a family of two all summer easily. All you need is squash tomatoes peppers cucumber and eggplant. Just keep seeds in the ground every three weeks and pull out the oldest. Three of everything should be perfect. I'm organic but if you keep Miracle Grow on it once a week it will be healthy and productive all season. Don't use pesticides. No need to bugs aren't as bad as you think. I've never sprayed and I have never had problems with bugs till fall. That's when they eat.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have an issue Trying to grow: we are in the desert, at around 3700 ft. Elevation. That makes for an early and short season. Right now I'm at: 6 plants each of Kirby's, bananna peppers, romaine, and Several cactus( pear & finger)...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm too busy with feed plots and tree transplants.

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am in transition so I might start some stuff indoors and plant it in pots so I can take it with me when I move by June 30th. I have been planting flowers and stuff though. What we don't have here in CA is rain. Plenty of sun and plenty warm to grow stuff- the trees are blossoming to beat hell. Its going to be a strange year here.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Every sat morning between 9:00 -9:20 am we have 3 fly over and the fly back before dark . Like clockwork every weekend

17. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I'm still getting settled in myself. Moving, working, and remodeling last spring really put a damper on my garden plans last year. That's in part why I'm so excited about this year. I've got a lot to make up for. :)

18. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Mowpower, it sounds like you're right about where I want to be. My plan for the last couple of years has to been to produce almost all of my own meats, veggies, and fruits. I'm good on the meats but work and moving really set me back on the veggies and fruits last year. So I'm ready to go this year. The big thing I'm keeping in mind now is what to plant when so that I can keep stuff coming in all summer. I also figure I'll do a large crop in late summer of stuff that will store well to carry me through the winter like onions and potatoes.

My grandmother used to sell stuff at the farmer's market when I was little but I haven't gown anything on that scale in years. At the moment I don't have time to sell at the market even if I produced more but I'm hoping to be producing enough to be able to sell some things in a few years.

And for all ya'll stuck in the cold, it won't be for much longer! Daffodils are blooming here now and spring is just around the corner. Ya'll won't be far behind. And on a side note, the further north you are the greater your change in the length of days. Because ya'll are further north when it does warm up you'll have longer days than us. That means more sun light and more productive gardens when you do get to plant. :)

19. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I am so ready to get outside in my garden. Our soil is horrible so I plan to build raised beds and bring in a few truck loads of dirt. I also wanted to build a cattle panel green house. Sadly we're still under about 15 inches of snow and winter is not letting up anytime soon.

20. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I think I am gonna build a small raised planter (were renters) and plant some stuff this year. I grew up on a farm in NY and we always had our own little food plot too so I think I will just start off really small and see what I can do.