Whos inot M1a Rifle here?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by M1arifles, Oct 14, 2009.

1. M1arifles

M1arifles New Member

I really love this type of rifle the power and stability is just amazing.... Who's into it? :D

2. M1arifles

M1arifles New Member

cool men... show some pictures of your baby..

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Had an M1A Scout, had to sell it for financial reasons. I miss it. :(

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I'm a fan. Best all around rifle ever made. Of course I MAY be a bit biased. I've got some pics posted around here somewhere already.

5. CA357

Yeah, I've seen those pics. You've got some gems, you have every reason to be biased. ;)

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Thanks. I have never been able to resist a nice M14. One of these days if you make it down to the LA area we'll go spend a day and burn some powder through them. We have a range with 650 yard steel (200yd paper) about a half hour from Chez Rock.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The M14 has the benefit of having a serious, knock down round behind it's performance.

The M14 is an op-rod driven, wood stock based weapon that has serious drawbacks on the drawing board.

Yeah. You can spend $2500 and get a tack driving M14. Yes. You can take an M-14 and get it's receiver and barrel done up and be able to perform good shooting groups.

Facts being facts.

The M14 has the same benefits as the AK-47. The M14 has a much, MUCH better round out of the barrel, but the operation is just as reliable, and a little bit better in accuracy, but it has the same basic platform...

I am not convinced, from an accuracy versus dollars standpoint, that this platform is worth my life....

JD

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Awww. You have to admit they're alot of fun to shoot. And So what if they cost up to and beyond $2500.00 to make them a tack driver. It's only filthy, dirty, rotten, money.:D

IMO a bit more than fairly accurate for a semi auto and very reliable as well. The one I have up and running now shoots about a 1" to 1-1/4" at 100 and its a cheesy stock SAI with a near worn out barrel.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Don't sugar coat it JD. I'm guessing you are baiting MattG? Ha.

I have box stock M14's that will shoot MOA. So, while it is easy to spend $2500+++ on a nice M14, it is not necessary.

And the M14 does have AK reliability, as well as the best sights ever fielded.

For a guy who is such a fan of the 1911, I'm surprised you don't have the same affection for the last great battle rifle. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

10. CA357

I've gone really old school because of budgetary considerations. My battle rifle is now a '43 SA Garand. It's only 8 rounds, but it shoots them with authority. ;)

11. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Yes -- but the same could be said for the 1911 as well. ;)
    (Getting my nomex underwear on now......)

I like 'em ALL (well... except maybe Glocks) :eek:
    so you really can't count my opinion. :D

[​IMG]

12. CA357

Dammit HP, now I have to wipe drool off my keyboard.

13. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I guess I could swing an M1A, but the Garand is my "heavy" section. My CMP H&R Garand was less than $500 and will hold it's own against anything on my local range (that's iron sights vs. iron sights). If you think a .308 speaks with authority, try a little more powder in a 30.06:D.

14. CA357

Quoted for truth. ;)

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I cannot argue w/ the M1A/M14 platform. I have shot several over the years. I just happened to fall into a REALLY sweet deal on an HK-91 followed by a CETME. They have become my battle rifles of choice by default.

16. CA357

Robo, I had a DSA SA58 FAL carbine for my MBR and sold it to buy the M1A. I found the M1A a much sweeter shooting and ergonomically better feeling rifle for me to handle.

17. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Sorry my friend. Two words -- Saran Wrap.
    I finally figured out that putting a sheet over the keyboard is most helpful any time I start browsing member's pics here, especially 1911's, .50 cals and anything NFA. :D

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

With dirt cheap mags, no gas system to foul or clean, the HK serves me well. I have grown to like a protruding pistol grip even if the butt stock is a bit short. I would have to find a DTA Mil-brake w/M-14 threads. I happened upon one that works unbelievably well on my 91. ZERO muzzle rise in rapid fire.

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have a couple of the old Fabian Bros, DTA Muzzle Stabilizers for AR's. They work great. I think they went belly up several years ago, and I don't remember seeing them for M14's.

However, Smith Ent has a muzzle break they designed for the USCG that is very short, and outstanding.