Who's a Fisherman?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by SGT-MILLER, Jan 9, 2009.

1. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

We all know we're all certified gun nuts...lol. I'm curious how many of us tend to sneak off to the local lake/stream/river to catch some fish when we are not at the range?

I am an avid fisherman. I like to spend my springtime and summertime on the rivers and lakes in Montana relaxing with family and taking in the scenery.

Maybe a thread can be started on basic fishing type stuff (fly fishing versus bait fishing, types of lures you have, etc....)

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I drift fished the Madison two years ago with a guide. Wet fly with a trailer, Northern White fish and a couple of Rainbow. Great fun and something the entire family can become involved in without too much expense. Sorry to say, not much fishing to be had where I am :D.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I fish nearly every day, got a lake in the back yard. Usually catch bass and when I do the dog goes nuts. Release every one and quit for the day.

I have the ocean 11 miles East of me and the Everglades 2 miles West. The Keys are just over an hour South.

Yea, I fish some. [​IMG]

cane

[​IMG]

4. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Newbie..

I was an avid hiker and offroader, I love outdoors, almost 2 years ago I had a terrible work accident, a quarry truck tire crush my pelvis and legs (just the tire... not the entire turck) since that I have to learn walk again, no more heavy loads on my back.... so... bye hike (I continue offroading), some friends start talking abut fishing... and here I am... learning to fish.... here in Venezuela, the trophy is the Peacok Bass, called Pavon... I still can't fish one but soon I will :D that's the fishing about... patience

5. gun guy

gun guy New Member

like ti fish for bluegill and crappie in the spring with my daughter. Try to fish for catfish just cant find the time anymore. Used to go 3 to 5 nights a week. Ran a few net and lines in the river. No better way to relax.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Does having more fishing polls than guns and 4 tackle boxes packs full of stuff make me one? I don't fish as much as I would like. But I like to fish I like to watch the kids fish more than fish my self.

7. CCW357

CCW357 New Member

We have some great fishing here in Florida.Caught some nice Specks last week, the largest was 15" long and 2.25 lbs.

8. CCW357

CCW357 New Member

Heres a pic of the largest one.[​IMG]

9. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Ice Fishing

Ice fishing is my second passion. I just love those cold water gills. I was out yesterday and I'm having fresh gills tonight. Yum, Yum.

10. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I mostly fish bass on Lake Shasta, but if I get the chance, I'll hit Sacramento or Trinity River when the salmon and steelhead are running.

3 or 4 times a year, I'll head over to the coast for some surf fishing.

11. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I am.

[​IMG]

Heading out into the ocean tomorrow morning in fact. At $12.00 per lb for rockfish, a guy would have to be crazy not to.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Oh man do you ever fish trinity lake (Clair Engle)? There are some big small mouth and salmon in there. ALong with Rainbow I landed a 20" rainbow at stewerts fork one year many years ago. Back when the lake was 50 or 60' low.

Hey gork is a guy from stafford happens down to the VA beach whats the chances of hooking up for a fishing trip in the summer. My job allows me the entire summer off and still pays me.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

My last count on poles was 22. Most are species or type of fishing specific. I lived and fished Lake Erie and the tribs for a long time. Gotta have poles to troll walleyes and steelies in deep water, fly fish the tribs for steelies, muskies and pike in nearby lakes, and then there's the bass gear. Smallies on Erie and largemouths on many lakes. Plus, I have a pond and I live off a state owned lake. Lotsa panfish! Yea, I'd say I fish a little, too bad it's less than I'd like. :cool:

14. matt g

There are some big fish in there, but Shasta is so close that it's doesn't even take an effort to drag a boat out there. Lake Shasta bass tend to be a lot more sporty during the season than Trinity Lake bass are. You can fish Trinity all day long and get one or two lunkers or you can fish Shasta all day and pull in 1 to 2 pounders every couple of minutes.

You should see both lakes now. Shasta is over 200' down from capacity and Trinity hasn't fared much better.

15. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I'd be happier'n hell to make that happen! As a landscraper, I work pretty long hours in the summer, but the weekends aren't bad. The best bet is a nighttime trip for cobia. Nothing more fun than pulling a 40lb, pissed-off fish into a boat and trying to whup it into submission without hurting anyone else!

16. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Got skunked today. Painted fish in ridiculous numbers, but the bite never turned on. I'm in the middle of cleaning gear and putting it up until I heal up from Tuesday's shoulder surgery, and will sorely miss the smell of a trashcan full of fish carcasses!

17. matt g

Hope you heal up quickly and cleanly. I'm not so sure life would be worth living if you weren't able to dip a line every once in a while.