Whoops, wish I would've

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Rifling82, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Mauser model 1914 chambered in 7.65 browning

If and when I buy one again it will be about the 6th gun I've bought, sold, then repurchased later

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

L1A1 heavy barrel. Sold $500.00. That's what I had in it and about what it was worth back then.

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.

3. Texgunner

Texgunner Member

I sold both of my Browning Hi-Powers about a month before FN discontinued them.

Wish I had held off on selling those.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member Supporter

S&W 439 & 469
    I miss them terribly....:oops::oops::oops:

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

Wow that a beautiful Dan Wesson .357 Mag.revolver.

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. leadcounsel

leadcounsel Active Member

I've not got many gun buying or selling regrets. Been collecting and trading for decades now and generally pretty happy. Overpaid for some, underpaid for others, made out great and not so great here and there. I've generally taken the advice not to sell unless you really don't want it and don't think you ever will, or buy one for a good price if you're mildly interested, and that has served me generally well. There are two exceptions.

I mildly regret trading off my first handgun, a Beretta 92FS. I made out about even with a gun that became my carry gun for the next decade or more, a Glock, so I don't particularly mind the trade economically or practically. I'm not much a fan of that design and the value was about even, it's just the sentiment.

I foolishly passed on a $600 blued Cold Python just after Obama's election in 2008-2009 timeframe. It was "assault weapon fever" and anything else was crushed in value. Some guy in line at the gun show was ready to sell or trade his Python for cheap and I so stupidly passsed on it... gun probably went up four fold in value in a decade, and many of those "assault weapons" collapsed in value. Hey, at least I wasn't the guy selling, and he must still be kicking himself! And I didn't get suckered too much on overpaying in that era. I bought a few overpriced lowers but I also made out well too so it's about a wash.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  7. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Every firearm I've purchased, I still have... Oh, every inherited firearms as well.. Is this a problem?? Lol

8. leadcounsel

leadcounsel Active Member

I often wonder of the history of certain guns. For instance I recently bought a deer rifle from a guy who inherited it from his dad, who passed. We talked and I wanted to make sure he was good with it. No regrets. He was, and said he had kept other guns from his dad and was okay letting this go and believed his dad would want him to spend the money on something else... I definitely won't buy from someone who might be emotionally connected or under duress or economic hardship for reasons folks here have mentioned - regret.

9. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

My father has several firearms, he's at a point to pass things on.. He gave me first choice.. My question to him was, "what means the most to you".. He pointed... I chose the one he pointed to.. Value is nice, but it's not always about value. Its the meaning and history behind it..

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  10. crash11049

crash11049 Well-Known Member Supporter

Whoops, wish I would've...
    Looking back 40 years or so, at all the "wall hanger" Damascus shotguns I saw.
    They could be had cheap, everyone was afraid of Damascus barrels.
    The name did not mater Parkers , LC Smiths all types of high end doubles,
    They were too dangerous to shoot, and very cheap.
    Then came the revelation that with the right loads, they were still great guns.
    So the market went up and along with it the prices went up too.
    But now the pendulum swings again, and the market has come down.
    Not for the dangerous Damascus reasons, no for a age/culture thing.
    Less of the younger buyers look at the classic double, preferring synthetic stocks and the semi auto.
    Not many of the younger buyers have shot clays or hunted, and their only thoughts are of self defense uses.
    I understand the mentality, ya got to have the coolest thing at the time.
    The start for me when I was young was the Walther PPK, yep 007 that's what started me off.
    I spent years as a pistol man, and yes Pee Jay there are others that keep them all lol.
    But me being old and lets say... "set in my ways" I love old sxs shotguns.
    At this time in my life I only wish I had bought when cheaper...
    sorry rambling...I blame it on the Jameson.

Rifling82, OLD Ron and towboater like this.
  11. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Over the years I have bought a few guns . Traded for some . Inherited a couple . With all the gun grabbers out there now could loose them at any time . Took the fun out of owning . Used to be the worry of some mut breaking in & taking them . Now it's the law & muts wanting to take them . Add to the mix how dangerous the streets are getting & you can pull your hair out over thinking ownership .
    I just keep aware of what's going on & don't let them change the fun I am having . :)

crash11049 and Rifling82 like this.
  12. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

My dad's, (RIP), Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag. He was into SA six-shooters, I wasn't. Besides, I already had a S&W M29, didn't figure I needed two 44's. When he was alive, he told me many times the Ruger was a better, stronger gun, (He was right about the stronger part). Anyway, I needed the money at the time, let it go. Too soon old, too late smart.

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

To me bottom line is ...... Buy smart .... sell smart ...... keep what you like & have fun . You can change your underwear but you can't change the past .
    :p
    Always let others have regrets while you have fun !

crash11049, PeeJay1313 and Rifling82 like this.
  14. rock185

rock185 Active Member

Several, but mainly a 98% Pre War National Match Colt with the Stevens adjustable sight. Looked just like this photo of one I found on the internet.
    Pre War National March.jpg

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  15. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Browning Hi-power with 5 digit serial # (suicide gun given to me by widow). Didn't sell, cut up and thrown in river with a witness. Webley revolver with single-shot adapter, Winchester model 43 .22 hornet, 219 Savage .22 hornet, several others. Oh well..

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Well-Known Member

Ruger #1 in 22-250. Traded a PSA Freedom AR for it and later traded it to my cousin for a 28ga Wingmaster I had to have. It was fincky about what it shot and I didn't take the time to find a load it liked. It is now shooting bug holes.

Rifling82 likes this.