Who'd like to opine on a .260 Rem AR-10 Project?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Dillinger, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

While shaking a fist at bkt [​IMG][​IMG] for getting me started on research I didn't need to be doing.... LOL

I started doing some reading on the AR-10 platform again, because I had planned to build a lower and buy a Larue Upper for it next year in .308, I started reading about the .260 Remington cartridge. BIG MISTAKE!!

So now I am thinking about building an AR-10 in .260 for the very nice long range ballistics. There is quality ammo available from a couple of manufacturers for off the shelf capabilities and then I can get set up for reloading later on.

I am thinking Magpul PRS, fully adjustable stock, or going custom if pull length isn't capable. Flat top upper with a machined in rail to get me 20MOA off the gun and then adding a good quality piece of glass in some Badger Ord mounts. (2) Rail fore end, free floated with a sled for a bipod attachment. 20" or 22" barrel. Hmmmm. :cool:

DPMS Upper or if LaRue comes back with good info on the future of their OBR line to include some wildcat cartridges perhaps going with them....

Custom lower, something with my own personal flair.....;)

*pondering, pondering*

Anyone got an opinion other than "Yeah, do it" or "That sucks" ??

JD

2. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Do it, cuz I wanna see range reports! You'll like the PRS stock too. The stock for the AR10 is 10mm longer than the AR15 stock, which will allow you to use the charging handle if you have the cheek piece adjusted up, plus you get the extra pull length if you are a taller guy. The two stocks are interchangeable between the two weapons as well. Just a tidbit of info for anyone out there. Stay away from the AR15 variant of the PRS.

Why not a 24" barrel though? I think Remington makes an upper for .260Rem. and a complete rifle as well, but I forget what they call it.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

What kind of mounts did you say? :D

badgers - Weebl's Stuff

My scrawny nephew likes his .260 boltgun. Midwayusa had some variety of ammo available.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I keep hearing such great things about the .260 Rem that I am seriously considering looking at it myself for a fun long-range setup.

However, I know that factory ammo is hard to find. I can't remember, JD....do you handload?

5. Squirrel_Slayer

Just get a bolt action upper for an AR10 lower in 6.5 Creedmore and call it a day J.D.! That would make you the envy of everyone at the range, no doubt. I think DPMS makes one if I'm not mistaken.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I worry about you 'gello. I really do. :D

Federal makes their premium line in several weights, Fusion has several weights and I believe Remington themselves have serveral weights. The guys over at Snipercentral have a deal they are working with another maker in the same caliber for customer long range applications as well according to my recent search.

I have a very nice, one operation at a time set up that is used for loading custom long range rounds in a couple of categories, so I definitely can reload should the need arise. To start I would probably buy some quality brass and figure out what she likes, then load from there for a stockpile.

Negative. I have an ultra long range boltgun already and it's off the sheld for ammo, so I am covered there. I want something that is a true 800 yard semi to have. You know, just in case. :cool:

7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Whiskey
    Tango
    Foxtrot

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I say again,

9. Squirrel_Slayer

If you want a long range semi, save the money and build an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. Just an idea...AR10's are crazy high priced because only a few manufacturers have the entire market cornered.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I can say that, in the short time I've been handloading, I would MUCH rather play with my own recipes to get the best performance from each of my rifles. I doubt that any of the factory loads could touch what you could crank out yourself for your rifle. But, then, you know that!

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

[​IMG]

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I say go for it JD! ;)

After I got my 458 completed I immediately got the itch to take on a custom AR10. Unfortunately the economics of it will not be doable this year, maybe not even next year. :( Even if I sold my DPMS - which I had intended to anyhow - I don't have another $2-$3k to complete it. :mad:

Looks like I'll have to scratch that itch some other way :eek:

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

OMFG its the state song of wisconsin!!!!

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

J.D.,I'd try to go with a 24-26 inch barrel in order to take full advantage of the ballistics of that round.You'll be selling it short with a 20 inch barrel.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

On the surface I would agree with you. The difference would be having a high quality factory load like Winchester Gold Medal Match and having a chamber cut SPECIFICALLY for that round.

But, I do know that I will eventually have to break down and get a full blown Tango set up and begin to mad scientist everything I shoot. :eek:

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

TxH - I don't normally subscribe to the longer barrel theory after having a go myself with the 26" barrel in my .308

I intend on doing some serious research before I buy, but I don't want to pack a 26" if I don't need to do so.

No doubt the round has "legs" for days, and I want to take advantage of that, but I don't want to put together another 20# gun. :eek:

I'll look into the numbers though and definitely let you know what I come up with. I already have Brett running a scenario for me on an AR's effectiveness at 800 or so yards, down angle, in PNW conditions. :cool:;)

17. spittinfire

Why must you go to the AR10 platform? I have nothing against it and I would LOVE to build one for my dad as he is fond of 308 but for the expense....the same performance can be found within the AR15.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I mean no disrespect or have any intent on making anyone join me on this strange journey. :eek:

But the ballistics for the .260 are greater than the .308 ( in several people's opinion that I really respect ) and this round will flat get it done all the way out to 1,000 yards with the ability to drop a man sized target at that range.

There just isn't a medium to long range round in the AR-15 class that I could recommend for bkt, and as I did some more research I realized I didn't have a project for next year. :cool:

19. spittinfire

The truth comes out!!