Who will you call when EMP shuts down U.S.?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Bigcountry02, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

If anyone has read the book "One Second After", here is an article that is another eye opener. Remember we have had two warnings already in the last two months - power disruptions from mother nature:

Washington D.C. and the surrounding areas

India

http://www.wnd.com/2012/08/whom-will-you-call-when-emp-shuts-down-u-s/

Experts on a panel assembled by Florida-based The United West have warned that the aftermath of an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) attack would be devastating on the United States, with up to 90 percent of the population dead or dying.

According to Fritz Ermarth, chairman of the National Intelligence Council, “A significant EMP event would bring about the prompt and early delayed death of millions of people.”

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I find this statement hard to believe :cool: ... 2/3'ds to 90% of US citizens require electronics to survive today? :confused:

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I wouldn't call anyone 'cause the phones wouldn't be workin'.

The refrigerator is the most important invention of the 20th C.

Transportation is kinda useful too. Reginald Denny thinks that, with the traffic lights not working in all the urban areas, darnit, the all-important subsidized truckloads just won't get there anymore...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  4. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Well one thing is for sure. All these anti gun, no hunting fruit smoothies will be the first to go. It will just make things easier on us.

5. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Look behind you. There's a growing entourage of just such people now following you to safety. :D

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Which is why we stockpile ammo and have alliances already formed for our "bug out" groups.

It's also why I live in the PNW and in the shadow of some very tough country. Our machiato sipping tender foots would not make it to the foothills let alone into the mountains.

Those of us who can survive, will wait 3 months, which should be ample time for the dependent souls to perish and the decomp/disease to pass. We can then re-occupy areas worth inhabiting and re-establish agriculture on a small local scale.

Given the path of oppression we are currently on, ^^THIS^^ seems preferable to me.

Don't fear the reaper...just get out his way and let him work.

Tack

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^
    I know a few places I will stay away from and the few people going with us have skills that I and others do not ,I would consider myself a jack of most trades, from construction ,engine building , farming , metal working , electrical ,hunter , butcher, archer and marksman. Now bring something else to the table that we dont have an you will probably make it in . Otherwise move on or you could be dinner ;)
    Oh one more, I have slingshot skills like no other :D

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Im calling the A-Team. Since im going to be the only one to do it they will show up and build me a moonrocket out plywood and legos

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Jon is stuck with the A Team because I've already got dibbs on McGuyver! He's building me a Mars lander out of cotex, paperclips, and my old refrigerator...:D

10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Yea for about 5 sec.

Attached Files:

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Let's be honest guys; we would all be on the phone to the cable company (or celly providor)
    bitchin about the interwebs goin down.

12. downsouth

downsouth New Member

In the book " 1second after" I believe there were three blast needed to cover the contintial US. Be all acounts the author did very good research on what would happen if emps were detonated.

It would be on ! Those in urban areas that didn't bugout asap would die in place. Suburbs alittle more time. It would be very ugly.

Don't forget about CMEs from the sun. If big enough could do the same thing. We are overdue for a huge blast of plasma. Not only is it solar maximus, some scientist say the sun has been changing since 1992. The planets are warming, not just earth.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

"who will you call when EMP shuts down US?"

Um... nobody? Cell phone no workey workey.

14. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I was thinking the same thing...

15. bkt

bkt New Member

Yeah, that is kind of a goofy question: "Who will you call when all electronics are fried?!"

Uh, no one...because all electronics are fried and my phone and the phone system is electronic.

It's not dumb to make Faraday cages to hold some extra items. A metal tool box with a grounding wire attached to a water pipe should be sufficient. Stick whatever you think you might want in there. Watches, radios (CB, HAM, receivers), GPS, whatever. If you're going to store these things on a shelf somewhere anyway, they may as well be in a grounded metal cage. It wouldn't hurt to wrap your generator in copper mesh and ground that, just in case. Condensers on freezers and refrigerators will probably be unharmed, so having a genny to keep your food fresh is a good idea.

A hard-core EMP really would wreak havoc with a big percentage of the population. If your car dies and you have to walk home 30 or 40 miles you'd better be in reasonably good shape or you may not make it, particularly in extreme heat or cold. Most folks in hospitals probably won't do well. People who literally cannot cook - no store of food, water or even knowledge of how to cook - who depend on restaurants will be in bad shape. That accounts for a disturbingly large percentage of urban-dwellers, rich and poor.

A catastrophic EMP would be a heck of a reset button.

The first couple weeks would thin the population considerably. What would worry me is the next round of gangs and would-be warlords seeking folks like us who will be sequestered here and there, calmly living off our stores.

Having a good exit strategy isn't a dumb idea. A vehicle with a carburetor or owning (or living near) horses and being able to ride aren't the dumbest ideas going....

BUT, an EMP attack doesn't seem particularly likely. It's more likely we would suffer a series of extremely strong solar flares that would knock out our grid than that we would suffer a 150 megaton nuke going off over southern Saskatchewan at 65 miles up and frying our grid and all our electronics. Not too many nations have that kind of weapon and even fewer can carry it 65 miles straight up.

16. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Will be breaking the radio gear (Ham) and batteries out of Faraday storage.

Jim.......

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Would my steel gun safe bolted to my garage slab provide sufficient grounding to act like one big faraday?

I'd sure hate to loose my electronic sights.

Tack

18. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I have read that foam insulated ammo cans make good faraday boxes. They did not mention a ground. Hence the insulation ?

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

"One Second After" is a good book. I read it last year, and it was very disturbing, mostly because even though it it fiction, I did not find anything in that book that did not make sense, or sound like it couldn't happen.

Anyone have a definitive source on Faraday cages? I was under the impression that it had to involve copper mesh, and something slightly more complicated than just grounding something. Everything in my house is grounded, but I think you'd still loose it all.

I have actually seen a huge faraday cage. It was maybe 12' cubed, and the company my father worked for was using it to test some electronic equipment, or something. I was maybe 6 at the time, but I remember him showing it to me and telling me what it did. Not until only a few years ago did I realize what it was called, or what exactly I had seen.

20. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Why would people die in urban areas? what would kill them besides lack of knowledge ?