Who Uses Improvised Tools

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Mercator, Nov 17, 2019.

1. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

C3, have a similar batch of those guys nesting in a split cedar. Queen must be in there. They are attracted to light in the barn at night but so far, have not been aggressive. In the cold AM, many are pretty much in a trance on the barn floor. Rather than stomp them, I sweep them into a dust pan and toss them outside, where they eventually warm up and go back to their hive. A compassion I can't and won't defend. Maybe that's why they've left us alone...

In the next few mornings (when it's cold), I'll spray a few cans of expanding foam in the gaps of the cedar tree to encase them. More of an "area denial" weapon, but hopefully equally effective. I derive no pleasure killing much of anything (ticks, black flies, horse flies, etc. excepted). Were there a way to just discourage them to hang around here, I'd go with that.

2. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Most improvised gun tools are in fact hooks. The philosophy here is that pushing something in is no big deal. Pulling it out is what truly mobilizes your resources.

RJF22553, locutus and PeeJay1313 like this.

3. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

I always thought of a wire coat hanger as a tool. If you twist the strands of three or four of them together, you get a very stiff support wire.

towboater and winds-of-change like this.
  4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I use cotton swabs a lot when cleaning. They are cheap but short. I took some 3/32" id tubing cut it to size and beveled the inside ends. Cut cotton swab in half and insert into tubing.
    Cotton swabs.jpg

primer1, RJF22553, OLD Ron and 3 others like this.
  5. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Great idea JTJ. I carry Q tips in my rang bag for cleaning the action in my 22 semi-rifles. They get me up and running again.

JTJ and Rifling82 like this.
  6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Who uses improvised tools?????

Doesn't everybody???:p

7. JTJ

8. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

To clean the inside of a Stanley thermos, use those foamy tablets people clean dentures with. Coffee eventually stains/coats the inside. Denture cleaner tablets leave the inside almost shiny.

If you run out of handcuffs, use cable ties.
    .38 or 9mm cartridges substitute for ear plugs.

Old leather belts kept me going several times - remove/tighten oil filters, cut up for washers, pellet gun pistons, dog collars, rifle sling once, securing stuff on 4-wheeler.

primer1 and RJF22553 like this.
  9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I knew a retired army medic back in college that used coat hangars to..........uhhhhh...... probably shouldn't go there!:(

10. JTJ

I was thinking of a 90* bend on a piece of tubing to get in through the ejection port. Probably have to heat it to get it tight without kinking.

11. JTJ

I just made these up out of aluminum. Not strong enough so I will have to pick up some brass. Cotton swabs 2.jpg

sheriffjohn, primer1 and locutus like this.