Who tumbles with walnut?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by spittinfire, May 1, 2011.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've been thinking about getting a little walnut to help clean up dirty brass. Anyone use it? What kind of results did you have?

I would then change media and use corncob because I like shiny brass. I know it's not needed but I like it.

How do you guys get your dirtiest brass clean?

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I usually use walnut to clean the heavy dirt and tarnish from range brass, then polish with corn cob to shine it up.:cool:

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I use treated walnut hull. It's the only thing I use. For the dirtiest cases I'll use some media "reviver".

4. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I only use walnut, Shiny brass isn't really all that important to me.
    I get my walnut from the pet store, Its usually for Iguana habitat, Usually saves a few dollars.

5. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I use walnut with some dillon polish and they come out clean and shiny. Used corncob before it never seemed to get things clean.

6. jeeptrash

jeeptrash New Member

Try the hornady one shot media. It's a blend of cob and walnut, its all I use. The price is the same as other media. Eight bucks for two fills for my tumbler. It shines up nice!

7. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

All I use is walnut and a little Dillon polish. Comes out clean and shiny. Also use the large Dillon vibrator.

Jim......

8. Desdenova

Desdenova New Member

We just use treated corncob media.

Works great, and I rarely change it

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Walnut! no corn needed. It goes much further also.

10. EJS54

EJS54 New Member

I have been using walnut media that is sold at pet stores for 9 years. Never had any issues and lasts a long time. I will add some Flitz additive if I'm polishing rusty pinball machine parts. Then throw the media out and start over when I switch back to brass.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

EJS54, is it cheaper at a pet store or just easier to come by?

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I use walnut to knock the dust off. It works good for pistol brass as it leaves a light film of walnut oil on the cases. I use corn to polish everything up real nice and shiny.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I like treated Lizard Litter (walnut) for cleaning and treated corn cob for polishing. I use Midway liquid to treat the walnut and Flitz for the corn cob.

I am really cheap and wash my media about once a year. Fill nylon hose or tube socks with dirty media and tie the open end in a knot making a large sausage looking thing. Several in the washing machine with plenty of soap and HOT water. Double rinse and spread in cookie sheets. In the oven at about 250 degrees for a few hours to dry. Voila! clean fresh media. I store in 3 lb coffee cans til needed. Add liquid treatment when it goes into the tumbler.

Used dryer sheets help keep the dust down and absorb much of the dirt for regular maintainence.

14. EJS54

EJS54 New Member

If you going to save money by buying it online I doubt its going to be much. This is probably one of those cases where tax beats shipping. I did a quick price search and some places its cheaper some places its more for both online and in store. Walnut media sold as bird or lizard litter seems to be a little cheaper. One complaint I have heard is some brands like to lock themselves in the flash hole in 223 brass. I've never had this issue, hey, just unprime it again :D

Oh yeah, much easier to come by.

15. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Hey Robo, how is the new tumbler working out?

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Frankfort Arsenal tumbler seems to be just fine. I have not run it more than 10-12- hrs total yet, but everything is A OK.