Who shoots after hours with night vision?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by SaneMembrane, Dec 17, 2014.

1. SaneMembrane

SaneMembrane New Member

Been looking into nighttime hunting and NV gear, specially for bolt action rifles. My ideal gun to run it on would be a suppressed Desert Tech SRS-A1 Covert in .308, though I don't know if I'd have enough rail length for a scope and NV. Anyone have experience? Any military shooters who did night ops?

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Savage FV-SR, Liberty Kodiak TL can, Aries 350 NV scope. Not state of the art by several magnitudes----but good out to about 50 yds and dead quiet with
    sub-sonic ammo.

3. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Well for nighttime shots I had to ghetto rig my SDM weapon lol it involved acquiring a certain sensitive item from a sister unit that they wouldnt miss for a while lol and adapting that heavy piece of crap to what amounted to a moderately upgraded Vietnam era M14 so thats my experience. Now if I were constructing what I would love to use on the Rifle you named you are talkin boucoup dinero. So SRS-A1 $4500 with a surefire socom 762rc $1800 not including NFA, and an ATN Night Arrow 6X with WPT technology(Images are black and white not green which gives you better contrast and clarity) at $1900

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

How about one of these with a 1,600 lumen light mounted in it. You can create daylight for around 100 yards. Not to mention predators tend to freeze when you put a bright light on them. You will be ready for night hunting for less than $75.

[​IMG]

5. seancslaughter

If your gonna use it on pigs though you don't wanna put a light on em. Even the "red or yellow" beams they are not supposed to be able to see. I have seen too many spook as soon as the beam hits them. I prefer NV.

6. SaneMembrane

SaneMembrane New Member

What's the different advantages between thermal and NV? What is used in the military on precision rifles?

7. seancslaughter

depends on what type of unit your talking about. Super high speed low drag snipers from the Seal Teams and stuff probably use the ones that are either/or NV and thermal lol and then you get to a line infantry unit and yi=ou get situations like mine where NV wasnt an option unless you were creative lol. For the most part the night optics I saw mostly were all NV units only time i saw a handheld thermal unit in service was by the West Point Fire dept when 2 cadets got caught on a cliff face during the winter and the FD was standing there like "dem boys so cold only heat i see is from a cell phone battery!"

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

After you shoot them a few times at night any animal will run as soon as the light hits them. That is conditioning the pigs, not their normal reaction.

9. ironmike0311

ironmike0311 New Member

check the paladin mk390
    has worked pretty well the few dozen times I've used it, honestly prefer my 7 bravos and iron sites at night

10. Catfish

Catfish New Member

I have a gen. 1 Russian scope that works. Problems with it are it trackes bad and is hard to sight in, and you get past 100 yards you need a good IR lite. I also have a set of gen 3 goggles and use them with a lazer sight. No suppresser, but I watch the sheller shelling corn at nite and have yet to get a coyote at nite, but have taken some coon with this set up. I like this set up so I don`t have to point a gun at someone to tell if it is a person.

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I hunt coyotes at night. I like my A-bolt .22WMR with the old Bushnell Trophy scope with amberglow optics. Not the firefly. The Reticule is light colored when you use it at night. With a full moon or close to full it works well. I've used a Hensoldt scope with an illuminated reticule. It really did not gather enough light and if the reticule was to bright, you could see nothing. You also needed a filter in front so the red was not visible.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Any Howa HB has enough for a rail mounted in 3 places to accommodate 17" of rail.
    2 on the receiver, 1 on the barrel.

13. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

In combat training we did a little bit of night shooting. We used the PVS-14 mono device along with a IR beam coming out of our PEQ-15. It worked pretty well for shooting paper, and my instructors praised the gear for combat ops. I only shot a 100 rounds or so that night, but I liked the system. Only problem I see for you with that is that we attached the PVS-14 to our kevlar, but I'm sure that they make some civilian monos that work pretty well and don't require a kevlar helmet. Goodluck!