who remembers slots cars?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bobski, Jan 12, 2013.

1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

as i approach spring cleaning and begin thinning out all the boxes of life's stuff, i stumbled across my old slot cars that i use to race back in the 60's. long before r/c, these old cars were quick. anyone still have theirs?
    i also found a wind up set from the 40's i was given as a child. and who can forget motorifics?

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Wow. Old memories. Used to build my own, and was on the team for the
    local slot car track for a couple of years in the mid/late 60's. Pretty
    fanatic at the time---might explain some of the arthritis in my right
    thumb now.:)

3. bobski

ahhh the old slot car parlors of the day....
    were equal to video parlors of the 80-90's.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

HO or 1/8 scale?

Yep, I remember them, they were around into the mid 80s at least because I got my son a set for Christmas one year.

5. vincent

vincent New Member

I do!! I had a set in the 70's, simple circle or oval track, changable rubber tires, working headlights and all. Night racing was a blast! I remember using it so much we wore holes in the contact rails on the underside...had to wait what seemed like an eternity for replacement parts. And of course I've no clue what became of that set...:( Great memories though...

6. bobski

man scale.....1/24 and 1/32.

HO....wussys.

7. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Still have all of mine in the basement. My son played with them. Soon my grandson will.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I remember the slot car set my parents got me for... I think it was my 8th or 9th birthday. Desert dunebuggies.

I was never that good at keeping them on the track.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My brother was very into slot car racing. He would build one then show it to me (the little sister) all excited.

Back in the late 80's-early 90's. there was a hobby shop that specialized in slot cars. They had a couple huge tracks and you could rent cars and run them. It cost about $3.00/hour/rented car. I would take my kids there for an hour or two of fun. I was a broke single parent and it was cheap entertainment.

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

11. VikingGuy

VikingGuy New Member

I got a track and some cars for one of my birthdays, I loved it. then one day i had a "great" idea. i thought it would be awesome to put ketchup on the track and have the cars go thru it like it a mud pit. my beloved track never worked again.

12. bobski

revell and aurora were the hot names back then.
    anyone need some curves 1/32? i got some i'll trade for gun stuff.

13. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I wish my son got into those slot cars in the late 80's and early 90's instead of those damn RC cars. I used to pay $150 per battery pack for him to race on dirt, carpeting and concrete. The motors and tires weren't cheap either back then. Now I got $3000 worth of crap in my basement. It was fun I guess but too damn expensive and I blame a friend of mine who owns a gas station and races cars. Those 1/10 scale cars had to be set up like the real thing and I left that up to my son and others to do. I just watched.

14. bobski

i never could understand the attraction to an expensive hobby that smashes things often....namely r/c.

15. JSStryker

JSStryker New Member

Had Strombecker 1/32 scale cars and track (still have the cars somewhere), moved on to Aurora AF/X 1/64th scale cars and I still have them in storage. Also collected Hot Wheels, have my complete set of original issue 1968 vehicles.

16. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Built and raced slot cars back in the late 60s for several years. Our team traveled to other tracks twice a week for league racing. Wound all my own armatures for my motors. Even held the track record on the front track at Hobby House Raceway in San Bernardino, Ca. for a couple of years. That was my home track. Was lots of fun back then....

Jim..........

17. bobski

it use to be big. the new generation doesnt realize how big it really was.

18. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I remember having a set. One car would always spark, they were fun.

19. db_xds

db_xds New Member

I remember my buddy and I building our own track on 3/4 inch plywood. Routing the slots and using contact cement to attach the conducting tape. We used batteries in the braking circuit. We would take the track to the YMCA on Saturdays for the kids. Good memories from the middle 60s.

20. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

There was a place in my old neighborhood (church ave in brooklyn) called buzzarama. I spent many hours there. Owned my own cars controllers etc. lots of fun and lots of $$ spent there.