Who makes the strongest scopes?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by icallshotgun88, Jan 28, 2016.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I'm looking for a scope I can hammer nails with or drop off of a skyscraper, etc.

I want a scope that can take extreme abuse and still perform

I've heard NightForce makes THE most durable scopes...

Is this true?

Who else makes a scope that is overly built and can take extreme abuse?

2. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

NIGHTFORCE is an EXCELLENT scope, but it's $1,799 !!!
    Try Super Sniper 10x42 30mm Rifle Scope

Matte
    Mil-Dot
    30mm
    Side Focus
    OK for .50 cal

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Gonna be a REAL pricy hammer.

You might start by checking with some of our vendors here that sell optics.

Leupold Vari X- about $500

Nightforce- about $2,000

US Optics SN-3- about $2,500

ALSO- if you put a $1000 scope on a $30 set of rings, that will not end well.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

trijicon acog is definately the most durable second is nightforce. acogs are simple with few moving parts. they are also the best optic in low light. i use one on both my ar15 and scar17. my scar has dropped from about shoulder height by accident onto concrete with acog taking the full force. zero did not shift no damage other than a slight scuff mark. shot a nice doe later that evening.

the downside of acogs is they are not target optics and lack target dials. this is also a plus depending on misuse or use.

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Super Sniper Scopes? You've got to be kidding us.
    You evidently have very little knowledge or experience with real world optics.

Nightforce,S&B,U.S.Optics,IOR Valdada,Steiner,Hensoldt,Tangent Theta and a few others sale Military grade optics that will take almost anything you can dish out to them. But,All of them will break at some point.

Nightforce is really at the cheaper end of the scale when you get into this grade of optics. They start off around $2k,some of the better brands will cost you well north of $5k.

6. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

US Optics has a heck of a reputation as far as durability goes.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

+1 on the ACOG.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

S&B PMII series may be the best scopes available and with a 34mm tube its the strongest be it some nut case civilian are dropping them from skyscrapers or in the military .

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I DNK about the rest of the folks here, but I have

to live in the real world, where heat, roofs, cars,

and food for the family are competing with scopes

in the household budget.

IME, Leupold and Nikon are a pretty good value for

the dollar.

BUT, it's also been my sad experience that most scopes

don't handle any abuse very well...

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can buy anything by saving. its an unfortunate lost art. for example i have an account for things i want, instead of buying that soda or beer or mixed drink or going to a football game buying the cheese doodles put that money into your toy account.

i buy my guns and gear saving pocket change and money i would spend on junk.

anyone can have really good stuff just save. my current saving is aimed at the new fnh m249s saw.

11. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Agred jonm! I have a couple change jugs. About once a year I sit at a table for several hours and roll change. It usually nets me about $750-$1,000. Then I have some extra money for a gun, ammo or accessory that I want. I also have a separate bank account that I put a few $$ in when I am able. Saving toward a nice scope right now for my 18" DMR rifle.

12. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

look at any scope that is used by the military or contractors, and has a military rating. those are probably about as tough a scope as you would ever need, but be prepared to spend some serious money, because they ain't cheap. expect to spend $1000 at the very least and probably even twice that.

making a scope that has clear optics and precise adjustments and that can take massive amounts of abuse in hostile environments usually amounts to very expensive.

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

As Jon said, We all have to save money in order to buy most of the toys we play with. I have a bunch of what most call expensive optics,but I always try to find them used when I can. You can save 50-60% off the new price when you find them,and most don't have a mark or scratch on them.

If you can only spend $300-500 on a scope,it doesn't hurt to look for a used $600-1000 used scope. You will end up with a whole lot better quality scope for the same price,and most all scopes come with a Lifetime warranty now days so if it happens to break it will be covered for repair.

14. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

I have a Weaver steel tube 3x9 variable from 76. Three people have cut their foreheads/eyes and bent the Leupold scope rings over the years on the Wby.
    Scope still holds zero.
    Haven't tried building a deck with it though.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I while some guys looking for some break proof high super duper scope I'll do like a few others here and keep continue to use a couple very average mid level scopes on my rifles .