Who made this gun

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by mitchell, Feb 19, 2011.

1. mitchell

mitchell New Member

This gun has me stumped. I cant figure out who or where it was made. I know it was made to look like an old remington. if anyone can help me out with this it would be of great help. thank you

Attached Files:

2. gschnarr

gschnarr Member

There is some writing on the top of the barrel. With some very thin paper, you might try the old trick of putting the paper over the barrel and lightly rubbing the side of a soft lead pencil over the paper to try to see what it says. When I magnify the picture, it looks like there is a CSA on the barrel.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It looks to me like a badly mistreated Uberti 1858 New Army.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

The grip scales have either been replaced or it is a recent reproduction made to look like an antique.

What does the bore look like? Did you find it out in a shed or burried somewhere? How did you come by it?

5. WDB

WDB New Member

I didn't make it...swing by the new member introduction thread and tell us a bit about you.

I'm thinking it's a reproduction made to look old but this is't my area of expereince, some parts look in good condition while others seem distressed.

6. mitchell

mitchell New Member

it does say CSA on it i have tried to rub but am unable to get anything. I got this gun in a trade from a deceased gun collectors wife and said that he got it over 30+ years ago.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

its a remington model 1863 44cal percussion. which in turn was a plagerized copy of the colt navy 44. most liekly it is a reproduction or a faked civil war replica. the Confederate States of America (CSA) didnt bother stamping it on firearms. there wasnt time and it cost money. usually if you see CSA stamped on a civil war item its been at sometime between the civil war and now faked to sell to people as a confederate artifact. since real confederate items are very valuable the fakes out weigh the real by the thousands.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Despite rumors to the contrary, these dated to before my time in the Army. i do know that Remington was quite proud of their products, and marked them prominently- usually seen as a "3 line marking"

Remington.jpg (click the pic to enlarge)

I agree that the CSA mark is dubious. I have taken the liberty of sending a link to one of, if not THE most repected man on antique US firearms I know of, and have asked if he can take a peek, and share his thoughts.

9. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Remington never made a brass framed 58. This is an inexpensive import. These brass framed guns can be loaded with light loads.

DK

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Definately a New Army, but the brass frame isn't right, but they were made. I'll do some more research.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Got a response- this is a gent that writes the entries that are used in Flayderman's Guide to Antique Firearms, and Blue Book of Gun Values-

Hi Curt, good to hear from you.

I don't know for certain, but my guess would be the same as the other forum members -- likely an artificially aged &/or abused reproduction, roughly resembling an old Remington. -- Jim

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You now have your answer from one of the finest experts in the field. :cool: