Who likes the .32 caliber?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by JD57, Jul 9, 2010.

1. JD57

JD57 New Member

I just got a S&W model 632, it looks like a very well
    made gun and will shoot 5 different calibers.

The other .32's I have are Beretta Tomcat, Ruger Single six,
    Walther PPK, S&W model 31 and what I think is a French WAC.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I like the idea of the 327 being able to shoot a number of loads but I personally can't find any use for it over my 357s. Ammo is also a bit pricy for the 32s. The only plus I see is that the 327 in most revolvers is that you get an extra round over my 357s.

Not bashing your choice, just my $.02.

3. Dave T

Dave T New Member

No one I know, but then I'm an old fart and all my friends are old too. We tend to like handgun calibers that start with a "4". (smile)

Dave

4. IDVague

IDVague New Member

I like it a lot...BUT...I like it for recreational shooting and as a possible back-up weapon or an easily concealable emergency gun. Unfortunately for the recreational thing, the ammo is rather pricey, so my .32's mostly just sit. I like the nostalgia of them, as most of mine are older, the type of guns you see cops carrying in old gangster movies. But as for a primary CCW or home defense weapon, the venerable .32 would be way down my list.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's a novelty of antiquity.

I own a Mauser 1914 in the venerable caliber 7.65x17mm Browning SR, 7.65 mm Browning or the .32ACP.

I own it for its provenance, not its efficacy.

[​IMG]

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I would love to get/build a .32 in a longer barrel Single Six/Blackhawk with adjustable sights and load it with cast bullets. It would be a dandy small game gun and not tear up much meat.

7. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I have two .32's, both semi automatics.
    A Keltec P32, which is my BUG, and a CZ model 70 that I use as more of a plinker.

8. Missileman

Missileman New Member

My wife has a Ruger SP101 in 32 H&R and loves it. She mostly shoots 32 S&W Longs in it, and we can usually find them for about $13-$15 a box--it's very pleasant to shoot and a fun gun.

9. flcracker

flcracker New Member

My wife inherited her mother's like new small frame 3" bbl S&W revolver chambered for the .32 Long round. It had only been fired a few times by her uncle, no more than 12 rounds according to him. According to a S&W book I read it was made in the early 1960s, but that small frame model was discontinued not long after this one was built and was superseded by the J-frame models. I have fired it quite a bit and it is quite accurate if you can see the very small sights, which is getting to be a BIG problem for me as I get older. I even bought a set of Lee dies for it and have reloaded several hundred rounds with cast lead wadcutter bullets. My wife has severe arthritis in her hands and can't tolerate much recoil, so she has given up her .22 rimfire former house gun in favor of the little .32 loaded with Fiocchi ammo. Fiocchi loads the .32 Long to higher velocity than the American ammo companies (98 grain @ 835 fps vs 705 fps) and although it's still far from an ideal self defense round it's probably better than a .22. My wife can handle the mild recoil for one or two cylinders full, which she can't do now with the Rossi .38 spcl she used before her hands got bad. It's a fun little gun to shoot and is an excellent example of the guns with the superb high polish blue finish that S&W USED to build.

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I recently shot a Ruger SP101 chambered in .327 Federal Mag. With .32 S&W longs it was a joy to shoot, with little to no recoil. Great little gun.

Like previously stated it does give the shooter one more round than the .357, but I still prefer the .357, just personal preference.

11. Gortok

Gortok New Member

The I-frame 32 long hand ejector is an exceptional pistol for those have problems with recoil. Virtually non-existant... Mine is nickel finish.

I also have a CZ 70 all steel tackdriver.

(I only wish both had better sights...)

12. BigT

BigT New Member

my dads favored handgun caliber was the .32 H&R magnum. And his favored rifle was hist Nylon 66. His favored shotgun was his old H&R topper. A lot of people may laugh at this, but he didnt shoot big game for one thing. He found deer and the like too much work to bother with. Rabbit is good eating and besides that he shot for pest control around the Mushroom farms my family owned way back in the day. Pigeons, Foxes, Rabbits, Squirrels, and Possum were a problem that had to always be dealt with. These guns more that did the job. Aside from that he did exhibition shooting for fun and never needed big calibers. He proved his worth when he out shot 4 US marines at a local carnival. Being the first to win the challenge of shooting out a perfect star. lol he mastered calibers from .17-.32.....hand him anything with more recoil than a .38 and im sure you will win!:D

13. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  14. lkd

lkd New Member

I just inherited my dad's Walther PP in .32. It's a cute little gun, but definitely needs cleaning and re-bluing.

15. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I own one, but if I run out of heavy sinkers this fall during striper season, this Cougar might find a purpose in life. I broke it in after approximately 40 years (NIB with the original ammo) in 2 closets, and it's a PITA to operate after the 5th round is downrange. Saturday Night Special or a piece of Americana, I don't care for the round.
    [​IMG]

16. IDVague

IDVague New Member

Send me a PM, gorknoids, I'll give you a couple of pounds of sinkers for it.

17. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

It's in backup stash on the way to my bail-out spot right now (Damned tri-level homes) but I'll keep that offer in mind!