Who knows plumbing?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by MisterMcCool, Mar 18, 2014.

1. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

My electric water heater is running constantly. There is a conduit that drains to the back yard and it is flowing, not pouring, but flowing. The conduit is attached to a valve on top of the water heater. What's going on? ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1395185879.385616.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1395185902.625397.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1395185920.959459.jpg

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I think that is the pressure release valve. How hot you got the water. You can shut the circuit breaker off to see if it settles down. How old is the HWH? It will have a 2-pole breaker.

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

You might have mineral build up on the pressure valve, keeping it from fully closing :D

4. MisterMcCool

I just opened the breaker.
    The water heater is ten years old.
    The temperature is set at or near 135°F.

5. MisterMcCool

It is sorta dusty up there. :eek:

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Have you ever opened up the nozzle thinghy on the bottom and let it drain out to clean out the minerals that build up?

7. DP03

DP03 New Member

Yea, I would release (open) the valve and let it re-close and see if it shuts off. Spray some WD on it when you do it.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Your pressure relief valve is shot. Replace it. Easy to do.
    (And I believe that there is a YouTube video).

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Home depot might have a pressure release valve for like 15 bucks or so. Id change it for ya on exchange for my negatives :p

10. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

There is a lot of knowledgable folks on one of our sister sites.

If interested, post your question over on there, I'm sure you will get the answers your looking for

www.plumbingforums.com

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Mmm. Not an expert in that plumbing.

12. MisterMcCool

Should I wait for it to cool or close the main valve before doing that?
    If the valve is doing it's job, I don't want to cause a catastrophic failure. :eek:

13. MisterMcCool

Not a chance ;)

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

If its a pressure valve, it might be a little like removing a radiator cap, ask the pros here, or let it cool a bit.

15. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Just pull the little spring loaded tap on top of your pressure release valve just might clean up the seat and make it to where it won't leak water.
    If that does not work then yes replace your pressure release valve.
    Super easy to do but you gotta keep in consideration that its 10 years old and I have to close to its life expectancy. But also suggests draining to clear out settlement as previously noted

EZ

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Kill the circuit breaker before doing anything.
    Turn off supply water.
    Open a hot water faucet inside the house to relieve pressure.

17. MisterMcCool

I didn't know about that until I started this thread. Then it suggested similar threads and one was notdku talking about acquiring the plumbing forum. Who knew there are people passionate about plumbing? They just blog about plumbing like we do about guns and rights? Now I understand why people question my participation here. :eek: not really ;)

18. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

You need to leave the water on to the hot water heater so it can flash out through the pop off valve when you lift the spring-loaded lever only need to probably do it like 3 or 4 times for like 5 seconds each

EZ

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The valve is the PTR- Pressure/ Temperature relief valve. Keeps from blowing up your water heater if the thermostat sticks.

1. Valve may be bad. replace
    2. Incoming water pressure may be REAL high, causing it to open. Fix the pressure reducing valve (PRV) for the house.
    3. Thermostat might have stuck in the ON position. Water would be VERY hot, steam would be coming out with water. Replace thermostat.

Most likely #1. Read label on valve for temp/pressure, get same rating. Turn off power, turn off water supply before removing old valve. If you have not soldered copper pipe before, this is not a good time to learn. Have a plumber do it.

20. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Is it heating constantly??? I had the thermostat go out on one one time and it wouldn't shut off!!!! And if you think the water coming out the pressure relief valve is bad wait till you get the light bill if that is the case!!!!!:mad: