Who is the BEST?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jimbobpissypants, Jan 22, 2010.

1. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

Many of us have our favorite pistol manufacturers. I wanna know, which is your top three? Which is your bottom three? I am looking for experience. I really don't want to hear about something you read about on the internet. If you (or a close friend) have experience with a manufacturer, that counts. I would like to keep this to mass production guns. No very high end, custom built guns. Most of us can't afford them, anyway. I realize opinions are like aholes, but this will help some of us in our next purchase.

2. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

Glock
    Glock
    SIG

Does that surprise you? Yep....I own a SIG P220 SAO in 45acp. IMO...Glock can't top it in their 45s. Just my opinion.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I owned a Sig P220 and LOVED it....until I fell in love with 1911s.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Obviously, these are my opinions. However, I currently own or have owned all the handguns that I speak of.

In pistols:

Dan Wesson; excellent quality, Ed Brown parts, underpriced for value and now has CZ customer service

Colt: The Prancing Horse had some QC issues, but they're long gone and it's LMB's anointed manufacturer.

Les Baer: Nothing to say except that they are generally just awesome

In revolvers:

Colt: The old ones. They're so smooth that you could accidentally shoot off your pinkie toe and not care. ;)

Smith & Wesson: The old ones. See Colt.

Ruger: Not the smoothest triggers, not as graceful looking as a Colt or S&W, but built like tanks, dependable to a fault and like a Timex, they just keep on ticking.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ithaca M1911 A1 (sentimental favorite)
    Current Colt series 80 1911
    Browning High Power (older ones)

See a common thread running through the above.

[​IMG]

Next year makes it 100!

6. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

Is it politicly incorrect to list bottom three?

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Glock
    Glock
    Glock:D

8. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Springfield
    Smith
    CZ

Just from guns I own/have owned.

Bottom three, even though I have only owned one of these, I have worked on the others.

Sterling Arms
    Lorcin
    Accu Tek

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

CZ is the best 9mm pistol I have owned.
    XD's come in best for polymet in my experience.

Have you priced DW's lately? I should have bought one last year!! :eek:

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yeah, they wised up and raised the prices. I'll never be able to afford to replace my CBOB now.

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I've got limited experience with handguns, and there are lots of brands that you just can't get in Argentina, I also tend to stick with what works for me, so I haven't tried many companies' products.

So far, I'm really happy with Smith & Wesson (I just LOVE their revolvers), Ruger (also for their wheelguns), the third one is CZ (their semiautos are awesome for the price).

I've got other weapons I love but I know they aren't even close to being the best in their class (like my ParaOrdnance 1911, it's my favourite semiauto but it's not even close to the top when it comes to 1911s).

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

1) CZ- First rate 9mm at a medium range price. I'm thoroughly impressed with the 75 line.
    2) Springfield- Quality work (XD and 1911), fair enough pricing.
    3) Sig Sauer- Great work, lots of tacticool guns, but a little rough on the wallet.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

In a production run series, from one manufacturer, top to bottom??

I would have to give SIG and H&K slots in the top three. They aren't MY personal top three, but when they put out a product, generally, the damn thing is worth it's weight and flat gets the job done. Yes, both are more expensive than other like models, but you get what you pay for.

The same could be said, in my mind, for Ruger and S&W revolvers. I have never fired a bad one to be honest. And all the ones I have shot over the years, were weapons that guys I knew and respected had bought and helf onto.

I think CZ is coming along and will soon be a hot pistol for a lot of people. They have made some great strides and they have officially broken through the whole "They are from the old Commie EU" thing that is hard for some people to stomach. I think CZ is turning out some real quality guns right now in both handguns and rifles.

At the opposite end of the spectrum?

I would list Beretta handguns for their crappy customer service and basic refusal to stand behind their products. They are a nightmare to deal with if you have a problem and their pistols are expensive because of the Beretta name on the side.

Lorcin is a company that takes a lot of shi*ite, and probably rightfully so, but for a cheaper handgun, they aren't awful. They don't dress up their weapons as SHTF, so if you can live with more than a few problems, they aren't terrible.

Sterling Arms would be in my bottom three. Just never seen anything positive about them to be honest.

Hi Point is another one of those budget gun companies that doesn't dress up what they are selling. Lots of people will poo-poo them because of their cheap construction, but on a budget? Eh. There are worse choices...

Now, suprisingly, one of the WORST customer service experiences we EVER had through the shop was with Springfield Armory. Man, they were a nightmare to deal with, just plain arrogant. The customer had purchased the gun through one master dealer, had problems with it, brought it to us because he lives about 3 blocks away and has work done all the time, we gave it a basic look over and said it should go back. We packaged it up and sent it in for him. Springfield balked and said we had monkeyed with the weapon, it was a 1911 that wasn't feeding, and refused to honor the warranty. This went back and forth a couple of times before the customer just took the weapon back to the Master Dealer and bought a Les Baer.

As for me personally, there is no semi or full custom house putting out a better caliber pistol than my beloved Nighthawk Customs. That company is built on service and knowledge from top to bottom and they will continue to be pimped by me and other owners for years and years to come if they keep their current buusiness model.

JD

14. speedo

speedo New Member

1. H&K--definitely the best handguns in the world
    2. Sig Sauer
    3. FN

15. RK23

RK23 New Member

1.Sig
    2.Les Baer & Wilson Combat
    3.HK

I love Beretta 90series but there's too many haters:eek:

16. colmustard

colmustard New Member

1.colt
    2.s&w
    3.ruger

17. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Well, I havent owned an extensive amount of handguns, but I've shot enough of them

my top

1. Beretta
    2. Glock
    3. Ruger

18. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I have a long list of handguns that are from all different makers. The only real problem with asking this type of question is there are so many good manufactures and different opinions from different people with different experiences.

It is like asking who makes the best truck, Chevy/Ford/Dodge/etc. Do you get what I mean.

The best for me in my opinion is:

Springfield
    Sig
    Ruger
    Colt/1911 style
    Taurus

19. SigGambler

SigGambler New Member

Best
    Glock
    Sig
    H&K

I can't really help you with the worst pistol, because the worst pistol I have is a Kimber Custom TLE/RL II and the only reason I say it's the worst gun is because it took a little longer to break in (had two jambs & that might have been my fault), other than that it is my favorite gun and most acurate pistol for me to shoot and I carry it during the winter months.

20. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Best:
    HK
    SIG
    Old Colt (best handgun I ever had was a Python)

Worst:
    I've never had a pistol I didn't like--had some problems with some real cheap imports, but then again, they're really cheap imports...