Who is the best gun safe manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by ArmyGuy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

Who would you all say the best gun safe manufacturer is? I have been thinking about getting one, so I have been doing some reading. It seems like everyone says pay the extra for a Liberty safe. Are they really that good? I have no problem paying a bit extra up front. I would rather get a good quality one than have to buy a second one a couple years later, unless I have too many guns for it :D

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'd say Liberty, Fort Knox, Winchester, Bighorn, Browning and Rhino. Not in any order, but I bought a cheap Sentry beccause it was what I could afford.

3. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

I have also purchased a Sentry as that is what I could afford.

I like the Gunvault safes just because of the nice entry mechanism. They mostly make quick access pistol safes (of which I have his and hers), but do have a couple of full size safes (somewhat hard to find - even on their site).

No idea on "best" safe. Check out gunsafes.com - they have a pretty wide selection.

4. FAS1

FAS1 Member

Here's some info that you should consider when buying. It could get very expensive and most people find a compromise they can live with. Make sure you consider a good place to put where it can't be pried easily and anchor it appropriately. Good luck.

http://www.zykansafe.com/ratings.html

5. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

Well, I should hope that with the thickness of the steel discussed there that those would be QUITE tough :)

6. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

I guess I should have also mentioned that I move every couple of years because im in the military. So while I want something that is safe and secure, it still needs to be somewhat mobile.

7. FAS1

FAS1 Member

Maybe search for a modular safe. There are a few mfgs. of them like Dakota, Snap Safe and Zanotti which is the cream of the crop. They won't have the fire ratings that a traditional safe would but they are secure and you can take them apart and move them easier.

8. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

How many weapons do you have? The one I have is pretty light and fits all my guns because it is a 10 long gun safe so it is pretty small.

This one would seem to be pretty light at 234 lbs - electronic lock and 1/2 hour of fire protection.

9. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

I currently only have 5 firearms, none of which are really worthy of needing a safe. I am buying a couple rifles from WWII in excelent condition (don't have them yet) so I wanted a safe to be able to put them in along with my others.

10. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member