Who is getting ready?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Ghost1958, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I haven’t gone all out crazy preper but I have about 4 weeks with out rationing of canned goods, mre’s, and bottled water. Couple life straws I could use in the crick if it came down to it. Have about 6lbs of honey from the local bee keeper. Keep enough dog food to last the same amount as my own. Considered getting a couple chickens. Picked up one of those Coleman propane stoves I keep stashed away with a good amount of the little green tanks full. My buddy runs a garden every year and I know he’d do some trading for a rifle/ammo which I’m pretty well stocked on plus components to keep reloading. Keep a good med kit around also. I always buy ahead a month or 2 on things like deodorant, body wash, shampoo, toilet paper(unaffected by the shortage lol), paper towels, aluminum foil, zip lock bags. Just simple luxuries that will never go bad, easy to store and could make a good barter item.

2. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

And Austin, you are very wise in what you have done. Let no one take that away from you. Kudos to you my friend!

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Sherrifjohn, I have a grandson at Mizzou in Columbia I am worried about. I dont think he has much in the way of firepower since he was in an apartment. He is in a house now but has not been able to get his guns from home. Not a lot of extra money either.

OLD Ron and sheriffjohn like this.
  4. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Columbia has always been/will always be a place of demonstrations b/c of the colleges. It has a violent side b/c it has a large transient population of Kansas City and St. Louis people (not homeless but criminal types) who go there when things get hot at home. I went to M.U. as did both daughter and son. When things get rowdy in Columbia, best get out til it calms down. It's to the left of anywhere else in Missouri, by far.

Caveman Jim, Ghost1958 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  5. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds to me like the University of Iowa in Iowa City.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Of course, if you find that we have reverted to the barter system, it is nice to be able to make change.
    [​IMG]

7. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

Something I hadn’t thought of, thanks for the idea!

Thank you sir!!!

Ghost1958 likes this.
  8. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Let's see......

17kW generator
    A few weeks of food stuffs in the pantry
    Lots of TP
    A few weeks of bottled fresh water
    A few days of water for the toilets (depending on how often we flush)
    Guns & ammo & other weapons

This is like a normal year for us based on past experience, sans the toilet flushing water. That came about when we had a water main break nearby and we realized a glaring omission.

But pardon me if I ask, what is it I'm supposed to be ready for this time? I live in the second largest city in the state and we have a single digit annual murder rate.

It's really very quiet around here. We had a couple of days of idiots stomping their feet downtown after Floyd died, but the cops took care of business. They weren't from around here and didn't come back.

Maybe the real question should be "Are your cops getting ready?"

ellis36, OLD Ron and locutus like this.
  9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I stay ready for weather events, floods, and maybe transportation strikes by labor unions.

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

You just can’t prepare for everything but we have at least 6 months of food and endless supply of water. Can’t really tell how much ammo I would need but I think I have plenty. Probably ought to pickup some liquor. Really just hope this is like the y2k panic where nothing happened.

11. Notrighty

image.jpg This is a really handy item to have. It fires on oil and requires no electric. Can use for heat and cooking. With my 500 gal supply of oil it’s probably good for a year.

12. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

I too live in a very quiet very rural place.
    The protestors came here 5 times now. A few from local most from Ashland and Louisville bused in.

The cops got ready by being smart and requesting help from militia .
    So each time the "protestors " came they were met with 200 to 400 hundred heavily openly armed citizens and militia.
    Most protestors turned around and went back. A few stayed and were very peaceful.
    The last time busloads of protestors came armed out of Louisville. Again they were met with overwhelming numbers of heavily armed milita and citizens. The armed protestors and Antifa had a cookout.
    Only really touchy moment was when some local drove by and threw an m80 into the area.

Get ready for what you wish. But IMO after the election , especially if Trump wins , the worst protests riots we have seen so far will look like practice. And will spread to places not touched as yet.
    Because the left, including left gov will encourage and fund the riots more than they are now.
    Cops will be in many places irrelevant if they try to handle things on their own.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  13. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I've been ready.

locutus, Rifling82 and Ghost1958 like this.
  14. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Awesome, good to hear!

OLD Ron and Ghost1958 like this.
  15. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

That was merely a good number of people being uncertain of how things might go, and concern about shortages in (primarily) the cities causing some to "wig out" for a time.

This, however, now, is a little different. Thousands across the country feel empowered, emboldened by the weak-kneed and prissy responses by towns/cities/LE so far, and there's a legitimate "movement" and formal coordinating and organizing structure underpinning it all. With fairly serious funding, apparently.

That's a powderkeg waiting to happen. All it'll take is for the "right" match to be tossed into the pile, and it could go. If those types don't get what they profess to want, I strongly suspect thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, are going to head out to "get theirs." Looting, robberies, burglaries, arson, probably worse ... all to retaliate against what they see as having been taking from them, as what's standing "against" them.

They've no idea. They're playing with fire. Even a few tens of thousands simply have no prayer of survival if 100M+ people finally pull the finger out, individually, and refuse to cooperate. They won't survive in most places where a great majority of people refuse to back up another inch, to the point they forcibly defend their lives and properties. No matter how seemingly "justified" the cretins feel they might be.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  16. Notrighty

I know of far more people who thought y2k was going to shut down their electric and water than think that this election will cause riots. We are already living in a time of civil unrest and almost any police action can lite the fuse. I just don’t think the civil war is less than a week away. Then again I could be wrong.

17. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

There were 30 years of virtual civil war here, power cuts, attacks on transport, riots, etc, people just got on with it. I think the same will happen in America, i wouldn't be heading to the bunker just yet. There will not be a civil war America, some disturbances yes but hardly what most would regard as civil war.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    sheriffjohn, 7point62 and locutus like this.
  18. Notrighty

That sounds like a real sanitized definition of civil war possibly from the past. The kind of civil wars we have today are a little less organized like the one in Syria.

19. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

what we have: 5 counties in central NM share the same DA, because that's how little crime we have.

20. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

More maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.