Who is getting ready?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Ghost1958, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

A little over 3 yrs ago there were violent riots over the results of the election.
    This was before, BLM Antifa etc. Before LE had become public enemy number one to a large segment of the population and overwhelmed.
    Should the results of this election be the same does anyone really think all major cities wont be on fire? That smaller towns wont see protests and unless prevented by their armed citizens violent riots?
    That said who's putting back food, water, ammo , upgrading firearms , etc etc in preparation for what is extremely likely to be protracted upheaval. Upheaval that causes major shortages of most needed items.

Personally , where I live I've upgraded a bit on my firearms, stocking ammo and some items I cant make.
    Stocking some can food but food I can hunt if it comes to it. Fresh water is nearby on my property.
    Gasoline I'm going to store some of. Salt. Flour, cooking oils. Get 90 days worth of bp meds put back.
    For myself now I probably wouldnt have bothered, but if things go hard south until the citizenry wakes up and stops the craziness , as I expect it will , my kids and grandkids, possibly a friend or two may all be living here.
    My place is in the country, defensible , and natural food sources plentiful .
    Hope I'm wrong . But pretty sure I'm not.

RJF22553, Bigcat, PANDEMIC and 3 others like this.
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Re: Food- if you are planning to live on what you can hunt- it's been good to know you. Human type people run on carbohydrates, not meat protein. Yes, you need some- but carbs are what keeps yer ticker ticking.

I have always been a bit of a semi-pro paranoiac- comes from living in the country. Our AW CRAP stash includes rice. dried beans. flour. corn meal. pasta. barley. oatmeal. dried potatoes. sugar and honey. A few cans of soup, spaghetti Os and ravioli will go a long way.

There are ethnic groups in the Arctic that can live on almost a pure animal diet. Unless you are named Joe Anorak, and grew up in Kotzebue AK, you probably are not one of them.

PS- we have a nice electric range- but also have a two burner propane stove and plenty of propane. And a wood stove.

3. mrm14

mrm14 Well-Known Member

I was raised in a rural area, then I moved to Los Angles and then San Francisco for work back in the 80's. Since then I've moved back into a flatlanders rural area and am now having a house built in the lower hills of California. Call me crazy, but, I have the means to stay in this state. The cities will probably go to **** from civil unrest, but I don't care, because where I live and where I'm moving is not where they are going to show up unless they want the pig farm or backhoe. They tried out here, a unincorporated part of the county, in June this year, and all I can say is that it didn't work out for them very well. Where I'm moving is even less desirable for the dumb asses to go to raise hell.

4. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

My "carb" sources include: beans, corn meal, pasta, oatmeal, honey, fruit. Milk as well, with the "natural" sugars, though it's likely to become hard to find in a true SHTF situation. Powdered milk works, though it's a bit "off" as compared to the real stuff. Otherwise, it's seeds, nuts, veg, fruit, and fish/meat.

Amazing how dried, canned, fermented, along with hunted sources, become important when the local grocer isn't up and running. "Older" skills most folks in cities have long since forgotten.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  5. Ghost1958

Everything one hunts isnt an animal.
    And there are other things available to be gathered here if one knows what to gather . Honey is one available here close to me. One can survive a long time on honey alone as a food source.
    But as I said I'm stocking flour, salt , some other staples as well.
    I heat with only wood. Put to it I can live quite well with no power and no utilities of any kind indefinitely. Have for as high as a couple of months several times due to ice storms .
    My only real need is bp meds but I imagine I can survive without them if I had too.

6. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Though with the GoodRX or Walgreen's type discounts, a "cocktail" of BP meds might cost ~$50 for a 90-day supply. Four of those'd be a year's supply.

As for local honey, have you seen any of the "Africanized" bees around? I'm all for sourcing my own honey, but I suck at it. (And have none of the tools to do it without ticking-off the residents.) Can't imagine those puppies would meekly allow what "normal" honey bees can be cajoled out of. I can see it now ... puff a bit of smoke, don the nice little mesh headdress, and get walloped by 2000 bees that have learned how to laugh at such things. Yikes.

PANDEMIC, Ghost1958 and Rifling82 like this.
  7. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Getting ready is an interesting concept .
    Usually it is the unknown that hits us & being ready usually doesn't happen . Being prepared for the known possibilities usually is a life style that was handed down to us for generations .
    So as others get ready ...... we just live our normal lives . :)

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

For many years, I have kept a 2 months supply of damn near everything on hand. Including fuel for the generator. As long as the generator is keeping the freezer going, I can eat rib-eye instead of rabbit!:p

Getting too old to cut firewood, so I keep lotsa propane on hand to keep the house warm.

RJF22553, PANDEMIC, Oldoutlaw and 2 others like this.
  9. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

landlord does not like wood stoves, so I am preparing a rocket stove for when the power goes out.

16 AR mags stored around the house, so I don't have to get to a specific spot to reload.

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Ghost1958 likes this.
  11. Ghost1958

Havent seen any africanized bees. Just the normal European bees.
    Couple of bee trees near here plus two of my friends have bees and plenty of honey.
    I've got a couple months worth of BP meds . That will probably do it anyway.

12. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Should just invite the li'l darlin's in for a spot of tea or warm cocoa.

14. Ghost1958

Grayson Ashland, Olive Hill, Hazard, Pikeville all have had BLM antifa protests along with some even smaller burgs.

There are " chapters " of both in all those towns in E KY .
    Like you it's unlikely they would venture out to my home. That said, allow the towns near me to be trashed and there'll be a permanent active presense there making life even more difficult.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Well, I live in a county that HAS no towns. One zip code for the county. And a bunch of folks that have an independent "leave me the hell alone" streak about 6 ft wide.

Comfortable place to live if you have some manners. Real uncomfortable if you don't.

RJF22553, alsaqr, Mister Dave and 5 others like this.
  16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am too old to put up a 25 year supply of anything. I do have some rice, beans, lentils, pasta etc. I keep a good stock of canned foods that can be eaten right out of the can. I also keep vitamins. If you are stuck on a weird diet you will need some help. Wife does not want to believe we need to stock up but I have been doing it anyway. We have a lake and I know some of the local natural food sources. My kayaks dont need fuel. Problem is getting it 1 mile to the lake and back. I would have to dig up batteries but I have 5k solar. The motor home has a 5K generator if it get down to needing it and we could live in it. We have lived in it for 2-3 months at a time. Pool holds quite a bit of water.
    I have my guns and a good bit of ammo. Big plus is a couple of suppressors to keep noise down if I need to hunt. Also a 22 pellet rifle. I have several calibers so I am not limited on what I can utilize.
    Mostly retired people here. There are a few neighbors that will probably band together but there are also a bunch that wont last a week past their meds. Most are in denial and are not willing to plan. Being in a small out of the way city they don't believe anything can happen here. Not even after the markets were raided during the panic by people from CA and NV. Oddly enough it is the people recently moved or moving here from CA that are more up on what is going on and most are armed conservatives that never registered their AR's.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  17. Ghost1958

Pretty close to the same here.
    My county is one of the largest if not the largest in the state.
    But only contains 2 small towns one east and one west . The entire county, heck most of the state have the leave us alone attatude.

OLD Ron likes this.
  18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ghost, if the doc will give you the prescription Good Rx is cheaper than my copay.

19. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree and have pretty much the same as you do.

Rifling82 and OLD Ron like this.
  20. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Daughter lost 3 teaching jobs on one day due to covid. Moving around 30 plastic "totes" from her St. Louis apartment to our N.E. Missouri farm. I have no need for sandbags as fortification as the barn will soon look like the Alamo. Grumpy geriatric dogs for alarm system. Chickens laying 18-24 eggs a day. Freezers full, cellar full, two bridges out. I've not seen a diverse looking human here in 16 years, let alone a "protester". The only "election rumble" occurred last week when the county clerk cut a 100-year-old table in half to remodel her office. There will be no problems on Spencer Creek although our farmer got caught with someone else's wife. THAT is a problem. He may draw fire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.