Who here shoots IDPA?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by RustyShackleford101, Aug 30, 2012.

1. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

I'm just curious who here shoots at IDPA competitions other than me. Thanks.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Have shot informal local competitions, but will be going to my first actual IDPA shoot this weekend. Did IPSC shoots when I was on the West coast.

3. RustyShackleford101

I think you will like IDPA it is a lot of fun. It is my favorite competition because it is much more practical and can even be used for training. My least favorite thing, on the other hand, is the mag capacity limitation, but it's not a big deal.

4. g23shooter

g23shooter New Member

IDPA in Comal county, Texas at Cedar Range. Texas Tactical is the name of the site. Once you have become a decent shot at punching holes in still targets at known distance this is the next logical step in proficiency. You should love it, but it will be a humbling experience at first.

5. RustyShackleford101

I remember my first match. I was in CDP using a springfield 1911. I was definitely the worst guy there, but I still had a blast!

6. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Idpa twice a month for several years now :)

7. rubikees

rubikees New Member

I have shot IDPA, USPSA, and LSSA.

8. RustyShackleford101

How's uspsa? I've thought of trying but haven't yet. I've heard people saying about how it's more equipment oriented. Is that true?

9. SundownRider

SundownRider New Member

Have a shoot coming up this weekend as a matter of fact. Love it.

10. RustyShackleford101

You and SSGN_Doc better let us hear about it. I'll be outa state this month so no IDPA for me:(

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Well it was a fun match. There were 5 stages and I shot with a group of shooters who had not done IDPA before. All in all a fairly challenging set. I had one complete miss on a plate and I did hit a "no-shoot" in the shoulder. That was actually one of my best times and runs until I hit the no-shoot target. As they say, "You can't shoot bad, fast enough to win." The chopped Glock ran great for the match. I like having the long sight radius of the 17, but the abreviated grip. The stippling proved it's worth on such a hot and humid day, like we had today.

I don't have any pictures of myself shooting, but my buddy Ken said he took a few, along with some videos of me shooting a couple of the stages.

After the match, we hung out and fired some of Ken's NFA toys. He has a couple SBRs and a few supressors. The Doctor hadn't done much shooting at all, so we were letting him try several of our guns.

I also got to do some quick pattern comparison of 4 different 00Buck loads. Remington Express, Federal Premium, Winchester Super X, and Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck with their Tite Wad. The Hornady load is pretty impressive with regard to how much tighter it patterned at 15 yards out of my 870.

All in all a fun day. Hot and humid with a heat index of about 105 or so. But fun anyway.

My hat is off to the First Coast IDPA folks for running a great match, and having a relay dedicated to folks who hadn't shot IDPA before. They were patient and clear with their instructions. Safety was always a priority. and they made sure everyone had an enjoyable experience.

I won't know how I placed until later in the week. But as usual, these competitons end up teaching me areas I still need to work on. So it was fun and I got training value out of it as well.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have been shooting IDPA for almost a year. I also shoot similar matches once a year with the sherrif's dept. I am not a cop. I am with the jail ministry. I usually end up in the middle somewhere. I shoot CDP with a Citidel 1911. It works good for me.

13. rubikees

rubikees New Member

Yes, but they have created classes for the stock firearms. The big difference is that you can drop a loaded mag and you are limited to a track boundary.

14. RustyShackleford101

Cool. The empty mag thing doesn't really apply to me as I just always reload from slide lock, but I might give it a try. Thanks.

15. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I've been playing for about 6 years now and its the most fun game I know of. I've probably done a hundred or so local matches, about 15 state matches, one national and the worlds.

I've met the nicest folks through IDPA, learned alot from them. Taught some too.

If you remember to make your shots count, and don't screw up, you will do well. But, for most people, they shoot for the practice. They don't fixate on how well they do.

16. RustyShackleford101

Sounds like you had a nice day :). That 105 index sounds brutal. Yeah, I was racing through when I first started, getting a lot of 1 and 2 downs. It is definitely best to take your time, and then get faster as you go.

17. RustyShackleford101

Wow. How did you do at the Nats and the worlds? Even going is very sweet. I use IDPA for training and fun usually. The sport is so much different that standing in the open, and shooting targets at a known distance.

18. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

What exactly does IDPA mean again?

19. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

WWW.Idpa.com

International defensive pistol association

A competetive action pistol game loosely based on concealed carry.

I was 8th SSP SS in 2010 nationals. 11th ESP EX at world's. I did really. In the 2011 postal match. Basically any IDPA member worldwide can shoot this match. Everyone shoots the same courses of fire. Basically, you see how you rank worldwide.

I was 3rd ESP Sharpshooter of 179. 26th overall, out of 2200+ shooters.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  20. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

International defensive pistol association