Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Smith & Wesson 642-2, Governor, and SD9 VE - Glock 45 - Mossberg 500A 12 - Remington 870 police
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the biggest complaints of the .270 at its inception about 100 years ago was that it was ruining meat for hunters after woods deer.

Mr. Gun Blue here says that a few ammo makers will offer low-velocity rounds in the 2,500-2,600 fps range just for saving meat in thick cover. Close shots with typical .270 ammo tend to ruin some venison. It seems as if you have the right loads for any special task at hand, you can make your .270 do everything right from woods deer to plains 'lope to black bear to mountain/meadow elk to even closer moose. The .270 was Jack O'Connor's baby.

The trouble with .270 is that no lever-action rifle I know of was ever offered in this caliber. Not even the venerable Savage Model 99. Long-action .30-06-derived cartridges are more or less bolt-action material. Ideally, many Americans like a lever job deep in the woods.

·
Supporting Member
14,678 Posts
Guns
Very nice and interesting Video!
Thanks

·
Supporting Member
14,678 Posts
270 Win. is a good round and it has taken down game of all sizes in North America and everywhere. I have a Tika and my best friend has a Howa. In fact last Wednesday morning he shot a huge sow pig that was also pregnant. So, he may have killed as many as 8 pigs with one shot! :p The big bore got away! :(
In fact, after he shot and killed her, He went out to drag her off later that morning. And after her death she had actually delivered a dead baby pig on the ground by her. He was shooting a Federal 150 gr. Bullet.
And once again GUNS what a great Video!

Reactions: j102

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
What does this have to do with deep-woods deer hunting? FPS is only one part of ammo choice. The .270 Winchester will humanely kill anything with hair depending on shot placement and bullet choice. Every rifle will "like" a particular load over others as far as accuracy's concerned. Only shots from a cold, clean barrel interest me - preferably from a machine rest.

Tearing up too much meat? Uh ...depends on where you hit the deer. Pass on "iffy" shots, no problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Depends what angle you shoot at. Broad side behind the shoulder, very little damage. I shot up a ridge entered behind the shoulder and exited on top leaving a silver dollar exit wound. Destroyed some of the back strap but not entirely. Just that one deer, but the rest, just through vitals.

·
Premium Member
8,014 Posts
The Browning BLR lever-action is listed as currently produced in the .270 Win caliber.
You beat me to it!!! ;) And in this case, like most hunting situations, it is ALL about selecting the RIGHT bullet!:)

Reactions: sheriffjohn

·
Registered
Smith & Wesson 642-2, Governor, and SD9 VE - Glock 45 - Mossberg 500A 12 - Remington 870 police
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What does this have to do with deep-woods deer hunting? FPS is only one part of ammo choice. The .270 Winchester will humanely kill anything with hair depending on shot placement and bullet choice. Every rifle will "like" a particular load over others as far as accuracy's concerned. Only shots from a cold, clean barrel interest me - preferably from a machine rest.

Tearing up too much meat? Uh ...depends on where you hit the deer. Pass on "iffy" shots, no problem.
Deep-woods hunting often has everything to do with short-range firing. How often can you get a 150+ yard shoot in the deep woods? Supposedly, velocity too high will tear meat up close. Mr. Gun Blue's Winchester Model 70 seems to like each and every .270 load placed in her during his bench test video with ammo courtesy various companies. Using various boxes of loads from various ammo makers, and one home-brewed hand-load batch, all six groups fell well within "minute of woods deer". No problemo. Mr. Blue was getting mostly MOA and sub-MOA from a "dirty" barrel that was periodically cooled down. No, he did not clean the barrel intermittently for the test involving a mere 18 total shots fired. Still damned good on paper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would be correct. The 270 is not a close range caliber. 30-30, 35 rem…
Unless loaded with the likes of Sellier & Bellot .270 Winchester Ammunition with 150 gr. SP to keep that close-in deep-woods velocity "BELLOT" meat-ruining levels. That is, it keeps FPS down in the "SELLIER".

Features and Specifications:
Manufacturer Number: SB270A
Caliber: .270 Winchester
Bullet Type: Soft Point (SP)
Bullet Weight: 150 Grains
Rounds: 20 Rounds per Box
Muzzle Velocity: 2625 FPS (Mr. Gun Blue was getting down in the 2,500's on his chronograph even.)
Muzzle Energy: 2296 Ft/lbs
Bullet Diameter: 0.257"
Casing: Brass
Bullet Ballistic Coefficient: 0.382
Primer Style: Boxer

·
Registered
78 Posts
150 grain is a bit on the heavy side for deer even at those velocities. The 270 with a 130 grain bullet maintains velocity even at extended ranges and slows down enough not to do extended damage. I've killed enough deer to know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you're ruining meat, then you're not a very good shot. The cartridge and bullet velocity doesn't matter as much as correct bullet placement in the kill zone of any game animal.
in the vitals is away from ruining meat..... but a bullet that has more mass has more expansion, hence more damage. My shot up a ridge went behind the shoulder and went through the back strap. Can't help that, and a little wasted meat didn't bother me none. Wasn't enough to be concerned about.

·
Premium Member
8,014 Posts
A lever kinda defeats the purpose

Not in this case. For deer? Nah. Shot placement is more important. Deer are not that hard to put down, if they are then the bullet wasn't placed right.
Shot placement is REQUIRED at all times in ALL of our shooting period, so what is your point???? o_O Bullet selection is still necessary if you want proper results!:)

Reactions: Southernguns

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think Mr. Gun Blue's point is you don't have to trade in your .270 on another gun to go for woods (short-range) deer if your lifelong big-game .270-caliber hunting has always been 'lope, muleys or elk in more open country. Get sensible loads for the task and be sure to sight your rifle in and be sure accuracy is good enough. I don't think there is one single perfect .308 or .30-06 load to cover every species and each and every hunting scenario. If I were to find a minty Husqvarna 3000 Crown Grade in .270, I certainly would not pass it up because it is presumed by some to be of a "lousy" woods-deer chambering. My main interest is blacktail or whitetail deer. Particularly does. Particularly does. My grandfather had such a beautiful walnut hand-checkered deep-blue bolt-action rifle in .308 and this line, made from the early 1950's through the early 1970's, was also offered from Swedish gunsmiths in .30-06.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
.270's are used in "the woods" just as much as any other caliber. I see very few 30-30's and other short range guns in "the woods". It's a personal choice. That simple.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
_

1 - 20 of 33 Posts