Who has the best firearms coverage for renters insurance?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ARnoob, Nov 20, 2009.

1. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

I need your help. I've been looking for the insurance company that offers the best firearms coverage for renters insurance? I called Geico and they contract other companies (Fidelity, Assurance, etc.) The max claim that I could submit in the case of theft of my firearms would be 2K. Well, that's ridiculous. I mean, one one my rifle costs about that much alone.

They wanted me to increase my property damage coverage to 75K. My valuables don't even come close to that amount. So, if you guys and gals know of a good renters insurance company, with good coverage of firearms (in the case of theft), please let me know. :)

2. Jess

Jess New Member

State Farm Insurance has a standard amt for firearms, but you can increase it without changing the entire policy. Well at least that is how it was last time I had renters, and that is how our home owners policy works.

3. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Thanks. Do you like the coverage and service that you have with them? :)

4. Jess

Jess New Member

We have our vehicles, home, and life insurance through them. They are fantastic :D And they have an actual office, I'm a bit old fashioned and can't deal with purchasing things as important as insurance without a hand shake. ya know?

5. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Thanks. I'm going to call them today. :D

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Membership has it's benefits...

NRA Endorsed Insurance Program - Products

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

8. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

USAA, they want a photo copy of the purchase receipt. If the gun is older, more an estimate from a gun appraiser.

9. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Wow.. Something I've been thinking about but didn't think this was the place to ask..
    Thanks for the tips. Learn somethin' everyday as Pop's would say..

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Are you sure about this? I'm with USAA and they never mentioned it when I opened my renters policy. I will definately be calling them to make sure. I will say this about them, their customer service is absolutly second to none!

11. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

X2 on USAA. They are just a great company, bottom line.

12. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

Through the NRA you can get firearms coverage for any ammout:D. It covers the guns, clips, scopes, etc, etc. It doesn't cover the toaster, cd player, or sofa:(.

13. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

I called State Farm and they told me that in order to increase the insurance coverage from the max limit (2K) of regular renters insurance, I would need to take out a separate "personal articles policy" though which I could list all the individual articles (firearms included) that I'd like to be covered. The price for the coverage I'm looking for seemed to be alright. I will be shopping around first, but the personal articles policy seems to be the way to go. I need to double check, but I believe that this type of policy is for theft only. I'll let you guys know more once I find out. Thanks for all the help. :)

Here's a link to State Farm to help define what a personal articles policy covers and how it works.

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/other/personal.asp

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

A personal articles floater is generally more liberal in terms of the types of loss covered. For example, they cover mysterious disappearance which basically pays if something turns up lost, very convenient as many firearms get lost in tragic boating accidents. Just make sure that the articles are covered in your home as well as away from home, in your car, on your person, etc. Also, they may require an appraisal and specific scheduling of every firearm that you are insuring, some folks would have an issue with that as it serves as a de facto registration of your firearms.

BTW, expect State Farm to try and up your liability coverage now that they know there are firearms in the house.

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm also with USAA and didn't have to do that. They are the best by far imo!

16. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

My Nationwide policy is exactly the same way. They simply require you to submit receipts or appraisals (works the same for musical instruments if you want to up the coverage as well).

17. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

I signed up with State Farm for the Personal Articles Policy that insures against theft. There's no deductible and I got about 8K worth of coverage for around $12/mo.

18. feltonfitz

feltonfitz New Member

Sorry to jump in a little late. I just found/joined the forum. Lots of folks including myself, insure their guns with a specialty carrier - NRA program, CoreVens, SCI and Collectibles Insurance are some of the ones I am aware of.

I work for and have my gun insurance with Collectibles Insurance. Only have to provide list of guns worth 5k or more - no serial #s required. You should keep a list of your guns and pictures in case of a claim.

Collectibles Insurance - Protecting Books, Stamps, Antiques and other Rare and Vintage collections in Baltimore, Maryland

Be happy to answer any additional insurance questions, Annemarie