who does jerky?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mountainman13, Dec 10, 2013.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Sesame Ginger jerky (in about 8 hours)

Attached Files:

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have recently bought a dehydrator and made some jerky. It turned out pretty good but was a little gooey. I'll do better next time. Years ago, I made jerky in the oven. That turned out pretty well. I know others here have made some good looking jerky, like Limbkiller.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've never tried in the oven.
    If it's gooey just throw it back in for a while. Or the meat had too much fat. Fat doesn't dehydrate well.

4. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I used to make it quite a bit,, not so much these days,, the equipment to make jerky that is available anymore is great in my opinion. When I was a kid, my father used to make jerky by soaking it in his brine for a day or so, then we would hang the strips, cover with cheesecloth and air dry it for about a month. It had a texture like leather boot laces, but tasted great and would last a very long time.

5. string1946

string1946 New Member

I do a batch of jerky 2 or 3 times a year mostly for the kids and grand kids. I usually start a batch with around 100 lbs. of london broil or eye round roasts cause they are pretty lean cuts of meat. I can do about 40 lbs at the time. Oh look to the right. A box of mini 14 and ar magazines. Where did those come from?:D

Attached Files:

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Damn string. Makes my dehydrator look like a pos.

7. cotex

cotex New Member

Haven't done some in a while but firme it's soy Worcestershire sauce garlic powder and onion powder, cut into strips after freezing steak for a half hour, then marinate for two to three days then dehydrate it great Christmas gifts!!!!!

Tex

8. winds-of-change

That must cost you a ton of money. :eek:

9. string1946

string1946 New Member

To be honest I have never tried to figure out how much it cost. I keep my eye out for sales on the cuts of meat I use and buy it then and freeze it till I have enough to get started. The meat slices better when its half froze anyway. Its not that much more work to do 100 lbs. than it is to do 10 lbs. I mix up about 2 gallons of marinate, slice the meat and put it all in 2 1/2 gallon ziploc bags and put it in the refrigerator for 3 days before dehydrating. I'll share my recipe for anyone that might want to try it. This if for 5 lbs. of meat so multiply or divide as needed.

1/2 cup Soy Sauce
    1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
    2 tbsp. Dejohn Mustard
    2 tsp. Salt
    1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
    2 tsp. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. Garlic Powder
    2 tsp. Ground Cayenne
    2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
    2 tsp. Tabasco Sauce

Some people don't like it with as much zip as others. You can just shake on the Tabasco some of it after its in the dehydrator. I eat a lot of hot stuff. It keeps you from having worms. lol.

10. string1946

string1946 New Member

I started out with one of those round ones with 6 or 7 racks. Later I moved up to one about the size of a microwave with 9 racks. A couple of years ago I treated myself with that one from Cabelas. Now they have a slicer I want. My motto is anything worth doing it worth over doing.

11. winds-of-change

Instead of Tabasco, I put a couple squirts of Srirachi sauce in mine. I also like it a little 'teriyaki-ish'.

12. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Man I am jealous of ya'll I wish I had the money to get a decent dehydrator and make jerky damn kids gotta eat though and they eat me out of house and home

13. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

What is that grocery bill and do you get a discount for the bulk? Never thought of buying that much meat.

14. string1946

string1946 New Member

lol. I just buy it when its on sale. I might buy 15 or 20 lbs. at the time. I can usually find it for between $2 and $3/lb. That kinda spreads out the cost over time. When I see how much my kids (kids?? 35 and 42. lol) and grand kids love it its worth every penny. I can send my daughter 6 bags and she will share 3 with her brood and hide the rest for her self. She sent me this picture after the last batch. She has one more that started college this year and she can't get enough of it.

Attached Files:

15. winds-of-change

I don't have a fancy dehydrator but this one does the job okay for me.

http://www.target.com/p/nesco-4-tray-food-dehydrator/-/A-10347255

I used round steak for my first try at jerky. I was too cheap to buy a London broil or a skirt steak. Heck, if I were to buy that cut of meat, I'd be cooking it for dinner, not making jerky out of it. :)

16. string1946

string1946 New Member

You don't have to have fancy stuff. When I'm a little tardy making a batch my daughter will make her own in her oven. I used to watch a show called "Good Eats" with Alton Brown. I saw him make jerky on the cheap and decided to try it and see if it worked or if he was full of it. It worked. I just have to try things myself sometimes you know. What I did is took a box fan, one of the square cheap fans from Wally-world you set in the window when your too poor to have A/C. You lay it down on some books or something to raise it up a little letting it blow straight up. Then take 3 or 4 of the filters that goes in your return of your house heating/cooling system. Don't get fiberglass ones but just ones with paper. Lay one on top of the fan and spread out your jerky, add another and another and so on. Then bungee the whole mess together and turn on the fan.

17. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Hi Mountain Seasonings has a variety of flavor that make great jerky. My wife bought me a dehydrator a couple of years ago for Christmas. I use ground venison mostly.

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I use ground venison, no fat added. Very lean. (Or 96 percent lean hamburger)

I add 1 teaspoon black pepper, one teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper per 5 pounds of meat. (Teriyaki sauce is also good to add.)

I roll it out between two sheets of wax paper and cut into 6X2 strips.

Dry in a "Harvest Maid" dehydrator overnight until "bone dry."

Looks good, tastes good, isn't hard on the teeth and easy to make.

Cabela's "jerky gun" works well if you don't want to bother shaping the strips by hand.

19. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

You all are making me hungry for some jerky!! That looks really good Mountainman!

We've been making deer jerky for quite sometime now,we started using the oven first and hanging it by toothpicks,then went to a small dehydrator which works well.

20. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

You all are making me hungry for some jerky!! That looks really good Mountainman!

If you all have any extra jerky,my zip code's 65202! :D lol

We've been making deer jerky for quite sometime now,we started using the oven first and hanging it by toothpicks,then went to a small dehydrator which works well.