Who do I talk to about making rifling grooves?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Scratchammo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I'm a fan of smooth bores but not their accuracy. Can anyone help me on this?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I'm taking a guess that you want to change a smooth bore to a rifled. There should be gunsmiths in your area. That is where I would start.

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I hope he has the drill & understanding.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you have a "gut" feeling that he should not do it, then don't let him.

Ask questions first, get written estimates, and have in writing what is to be done.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Why not just buy a bp gun with a rifled barrel? They are all over the place and you can have them shipped right to your door in my free states.....

This is like the

I have a gun I don't know what it is it has a star and a crown on it and that is it. What kind of gun is it what caliber is it and who made it and how much can i get on gunbroker for it.

Good greif.

Ok so you like smoth bore rifle and......................

You think their accuracy sucks and......................

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Get bigger targets or stand closer.

7. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

if its a smoothbore it will shoot better than some give it credit for, the big qquestion i like to ask does it hava rear sight. it will make a difference as you have a consistent alignment with the front sight. I shoot smoothbore 62's and my little canoe gun with a 24 inch bbl shoots more accuirately than my 42 inch bbl. the reason being it has a rear sight on it. learn to shoot that smoothbore and when people start to laught about it as i did at one time you will make believers out of them.

8. Wenonah

Wenonah New Member

Whtsmoke has it right. I made a rear sight for my 870 years ago (flashing clamped between the stock and receiver with a hole to peep through) and it shot minute of deer (about 10 inch groups at 75 yards) with Brennke type slugs from a smooth, modified cylinder barrel using the front bead. That sight didn't last a season but it demonstrated clearly that a well designed slug can perform very well from a smooth bore if it can be aimed properly.

9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

A tight patched round ball will do even better.

10. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

Hawg you have it the ball has to be a good fit and tight for the best accuracy.

11. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I've bought plenty of black powder weapons before & one was actually for ccw during the ammo drought. I've made a few black powder weapons but none were rifled & the design I've had in mind doesn't exist.

12. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

BP for Ccw?

There was never enough of a shortage to substantiate that.

13. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Yep, in Norfolk there was such a shortage of ammo that there was a waiting list for backorders. So I made my ammo & used my 5.5" 1858 as my truck gun.

14. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

bp for ccw hell yes willfully armed i tuck my 54 caliber single shot in my belt every where i go lol, like you id like to know when this shortage was.

15. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

It was late July of 2009. I just came back from deployment & wanted to pick up a 1911 but when I looked I noticed the ammo shelves were nearly empty, the only calibers left were oddballs. I asked the clerk what happened to all of it & he told me people bought the ammo by the case, clearly an Obama scare. I checked every store I knew that sold ammo & they were just not getting them in fast enough, even the black powder components were bought up. That's when I resorted to stump remover, charcoal, fishing sinkers, strike anywhere matches, & a few instructionals. It was WAY cheaper & the libs can't tax kitchen ammo. :D