Who Carries At Home

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Trunk Monkey, Dec 22, 2019.

1. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

And plenty of people have done stupid s*** in bars, night clubs, malls, their own back yard, and behind the wheel of a car, or bars of a bike. Both armed and unarmed. Hell, the firet time i got shot, 3 total, Neither one of us was carrying. He'd just finished cleaning his pistol, and was in the process of loading it, when an internal part broke off, as the great dane he had bumped his arm. He could have just as easily, in that moment, sliced me open with a kitchen knife.

S*** happens.

As to being specificly targeted, in most cases, if you are, you ain't gonna know about it until the first attempt. Better to go armed in my humble opinion.

Ghost1958 and Rentacop like this.
  2. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I know that feeling, and it was a big part of the reason my dad, uncle, wife, and I filled out, and sent in the forms in NY, when we lived there, to block FOIL requests, like that paper in NYC did back in 2012, when they put a map up on their site, showing pistol permit holder's addresses.

See there's a bit of family history we don't talk about much, outside of the family. My grandfather was a NYSP precision marksman, with not just handguns, but rifles as well, and engaged in more than one incident, as a sniper, in his 23 years in the NYSP. The best known one was the Attica Uprising. Survivors or family of survivors, would not have had too hard of a time finding out my granddfather's address, and at the time they were originally issued, dad's mom's, and my uncle's permits were issued to said address. Mine was updated when I moved back there, to help care for him, and my wife's was issued while she lived there, as well as the community being part of his old patrol area.

And one can p*** off a lot of people in that time frame, as a LEO.

I will not go into his kill count at Attica, but he knew which ones were his. Each had a third eye, in the middle of their foreheads. And there are people sick and vindictive enough to target family members of a current or retired LEO out there.

Now, the only direct threats I ever received were from p***ed off parents of exes, exes, and my current brothers in law. But, in some cases, sometimes where you live, or who you live with, being armed at all times is the smart call.

towboater and Ghost1958 like this.

3. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

If I haven’t dropped my blue jeans for the day I’m just as armed at home as I am when I’m out. 4.25” m&p .40 iwb. Once I get in to my comfortable clothes for the night I make an attempt to keep my gun in the same room as me. I live alone unless you count my black lab. The m&p goes on my nightstand with a Trl-1

RJF22553 likes this.
  4. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Its a bit different here, some occupations automatically make you a target so you will know, police prison officers etc. They try and not let you get a chance to defend yourself like bellow for example, but its better to have the option.

stream_img (1).jpg

kfox75 and RJF22553 like this.
  5. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Odds of being targeted go up for public figures even though the victim may have had little to nothing to do with the problem the perpetrator has fixated upon. Former warden moved away upon retirement. Ex-con found the new address, shot/killed him when he answered the door. Trooper shot/killed as he stood at the kitchen sink washing dishes. One murderer shot/killed Deputy responding to domestic disturbance, then shot/killed Sheriff's wife as she sat in her living room hosting a Christmas party for church group. He then shot/wounded dispatcher in his home, shot/killed Sheriff of adjoining county and female Deputy in the parking lot of the Sheriff's Office. I was there for the last two but on the other side of town. They were my friends. He was executed.

Those who think their troubles are over once they've shot and killed a perpetrator need to understand that even the sorriest, most evil person will have relatives/fellow criminals/attention-seekers who may target you in the future. Revenge can take many forms and the promise of instant fame (infamy) should not be taken lightly.

Then there are the lawyers …….got an extra $50K lying around for your defense?

kfox75 likes this.
  6. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

I'm not as rural as rural gets (in Texas standards), but still pretty rural. 20 minute response in the best of times from a firehouse five miles away as the crow flies. Closer to 30-45 minutes from the county sheriff's office, less if a deputy lives nearby and is at home.

I have no enemies that I know of, but my address, SSAN, etc. was part of the OMB data breach years ago. Most likely perps would be someone out making mischief. Or targeted assassinations from the OMB list (unlikely but possible).

"No Trespassing" signs and "Beware of Dog" sign tend to deter, as well as a locked gate to our property. Gravel drives also help, as does a dead-end off of another dead-end. With nosy (and armed) neighbors...

Years ago, one of our neighbors saw a red light "floating" in our barn at 10PM. Scared the heck out of them and they stopped their evening walks. That is when we started locking our gate and I started carrying.

We are remote enough that most folks with bad intent won't likely know we are here, but also remote enough to realize that elderly folks far away from LEOs are vulnerable. There is enough data available on the internet to show ages at each location... We also have two recent widows as neighbors, so we also look out for them when they allow.

Aside from two-legged threats (to include poachers), there are also 'yotes around that I hear many mornings, and the very rare visit of a hungry bear. We have horses and barn cats to protect...

So I carry everywhere, and my carry pistol gives me a chance to get to something more decisive than a .380 pistol. And my wife has ready access to .22LR/WMR revolvers and semi-autos most places on the farm. Should the threat level increase, she'll carry on the farm. Doesn't have a CCW permit yet. I have doubts she would ever muster the determination to use it if not protecting me, our horses, or our barn cats. Then again, she is a dead-eye shooter and should she ever face a "momma-bear" situation, I trust she'll do her due diligence.

We cherish life, so it would take a LOT to take it.

7. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

farmhouse at the end of a 400 foot driveway. nobody gets here by accident. I built my own security system and CCTV system. You are noted and documented the instant you turn off the state highway, or enter through the back of the property. you are always on at least 2, and up to 5 cameras

Fort Knox Auto Pistol safe or V-line pistol safe everywhere there is a chair. unlocked when I sit, locked up when I relocate. one gun per safe, one safe per gun.

yes, I have seen the Youtube videos about defeating gun safes, and I blocked all those bypasses.

towboater likes this.
  8. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought Active Member

If you’re still changing guns when you go out you’re not really saving any effort. In fact, you’re increasing it.

I just have weapons concealed around my home in strategic locations. I’ll carry a gun when I leave.

9. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Allow me to clarify.

Normally I get up and put on the 26. If something comes up and I end up leaving the house I go with the 26. If I get up with plans to leave the house I put on the 19.

I'm absolutely convinced you're more likely to lose them in a burglary or end up being shot with your own weapon than to actually need them to defend yourself

Ghost1958 likes this.
  10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I have investigated hundreds if not thousands of TA's and I have lost several friends and relatives just becasue they were not wearing seat belts. ANY EXCUSE OR RATIONALIZATION NOT TO USE SEAT BELT IS JUST PLAIN STUPID!!:( Not using seat belts is about the same as committing suicide!:(

manta likes this.
  11. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Ok thanks for calling me stupid.

You wear one if you like.

After working hundreds of TA with EMS and fire and rescue, actually being IN the vehicles with the victims trying to disentangle them or seeing many crushed to death because of a belt, instead of measuring, guessing what happened and waving traffic thru, I dont buy the propaganda.

As to suicide. I've worked several up close and personal. There's no comparison between not wearing a belt and blowing your own head off.

Personally I dont need a rationalization or excuse. I dont like them. Hence I very seldom wear one.

Dont care who else does . And i would not infer your stupid for wearing one.

12. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Gents, that's what freedom is about.

OLD Ron and Ghost1958 like this.
  13. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

You could not infer I am stupid for wearing a seat belt becasue the FACTS/REALITY would show wearing a seat belt is the SMART thing to do. ;) I tell people you can violate the laws of man and get away with it most of the time, BUT you can never get away with violating the laws of physics! Those who try and violate the laws of physics ALWAYS loose and thus they are VERY stupid people.:rolleyes: Nuff said!:)

manta likes this.
  14. Ozark Hillman

Ozark Hillman New Member

I remember this well when this all happened, I was working at a sheriffs dept south of you a few counties when this happened.

15. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to agree seat belts are a no brainer. Like a lot of safety devices there can be occasions where they did not help or made matters worse, driving into a river for example the belt could cause issues. But they do save lives and cut down on serious injuries. People in the rear of the car that think they don't need to wear a belt, can injure others in the front in a collision so its not just their lives at stake. PS I have never heard a doctor fire officer or any other medical emergency service personal say that seat belts do not save lives and people from more serious injuries. It is up to the individual where legal, but i don't get why some would insist on carrying a firearm in case, but not wear a seat belt in case they are in a car accident something that is much more likely than needing as gun.
    Irish Seat Belt Ad - YouTube
    upload_2020-1-20_20-59-36.png
    upload_2020-1-20_20-59-36.jpeg ▶ 1:02

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  16. Ghost1958

I'm being nice about your OPINION.

Let it go please.

17. Ghost1958

Back on topic .
    Personally I've NEVER needed a seatbelt vs needing my firearm numerous times for various reasons.

That's the grounds for my choice.
    Avoid something that would definitely have killed me, a d carrying something that has saved my hide or someone else's several times.

It's a personal choice and the discussion would have stayed that way if not for one poster bringing in an unrelated subject.

manta likes this.
  18. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I've gotten into the habit of "buckling up" every time I get behind the wheel of our vehicles. My only fear involves being knocked out in a traffic accident, strapped in, and my vehicle catches fire. :(
    Why the hell is it, I've asked at several County Board meetings, that not one damn school bus in Washburn County has a seat belt in it. Isn't the precious cargo those busses carry worth the cost and effort involved with the installation of a "harness setup", if being belted in place is such a safe method to use? Sometimes hypocrisy can run rampant when committees full of nitwits rule.

OLD Ron, Rifling82 and Ghost1958 like this.
  19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just a little personal experience anecdote, for what it's worth.

As a young officer with just under a year on the job, I carried everywhere. Even at home.

My Lieutenant was involved (off duty) in a shoot-out at a liquor store robbery. He killed one and wounded two others. He, in turn, caught a .32 ACP in the chest and one in the lower abdomen.

Two weeks in the hospital and limited activity at home. After two months, the department sent a psychologist out to visit him and assess his fitness for return to duty

The headshrinker determined that he was not yet ready to resume his duties. It seems that when the psychologist visited, the Lieutenant had his off duty weapon tucked into his belt.

The psychologist interpreted this as a sign of possible paranoia and recommended counselling before he could be declared fit to return.

As I said, just something to think about.

20. Ghost1958

The psychologist I'm willing to bet was never in a gunfight, or home invasion, or lost a loved one to an armed attack.

Just something to think about.

austin92, SGWGunsmith and towboater like this.