Who browses with a smartphone? (tapatalk)

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Gojubrian, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

What is a smartphone?

3. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Its like a smart wife. But does'nt answer back.

4. Colossal Urprising

Colossal Urprising New Member

Already suggested, already answered.

Taptalk opens up a security hole. Firearmstalk is already working on an app.

5. KennyFSU

KennyFSU New Member

I would love to see this too, I browse on my phone way more than I do on a PC.

6. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I do and I use a custom app on another forum that I believe is owned by the same guy.

7. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I use a Droid X, and have no problems using the regular site, but I'm rarely out of 3g service. I'm assuming that's the great advantage of the apps?

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I can cruise the forum fine with mine, what is the advantage of having an FTF app?

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, on another forum i go to that has tapatalk, non-tapatalk users get constantly stalled by popup messages encouraging them to learn more about tapatalk's services, so users get a speed advantage over holdouts by avoiding the popups.

Not a fan.

10. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Yes, I have to admit that I have found forums that I can't hardly use with my phone, because every time I click on something it pops up saying it's a Android Native, blah, blah, blab.

I hope the app that Notdku is working on will not do that if we chose not to use it, but I will most definitely install it and try it.

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Homebrewtalk is the other forum I browse using an app. The advantage is the ease of use. While browsing this site on my mobile phone is decent, I can more easily click the links I want to and view the topics/threads I choose on HBT because of the app. It's basically a lite version of the site, it's more difficult to do advanced tasks through the app but easier to do the more common tasks like read and reply to threads.

12. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

I use Tapatalk on my Moto Droid for a couple other forums I'm on. It's great. I wish it would be enabled here.

13. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I surf all the time on my droid X and get on here fine.. Not sure about the app in question.. And what are all these other forums you guys speak of ?? I was certain that FTF was the only one :confused:

14. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

Well, I use Tapatalk frequently on two forums, and have been doing so for well over a year. I am aware there have been a couple reported security issues with Tapatalk, but as best I can tell they have all been resolved.

One is Calguns, which as about 70,000 members. Pretty sure it's a much bigger forum than FTF, with much more traffic. They have not experienced any security issues with Tapatalk.

The other forum is an off-road forum with approximately 24,000 members. The user base there is primarily from North America, but a significant portion of the members are located around the world. Again, no reported security issues with Tapatalk.

Frankly, I'd be much more confident with an app that's being used by over 1000 forums and many times that number of users across multiple smartphone platforms (Apple iOS, Android, Blackberry), than an app developed and used exclusively by FTF. No software of anything beyond the most basic level of complexity is perfect. A large user base is often the best way to surface problems and ensure they are addressed in a timely manner.

Tapatalk does inhibit the display of advertising - that's one of the ways it speeds up your smartphone browsing experience. That's a legitimate business concern that may be an issue for the forum owners.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I'm on the iPad right now... I surf on the iPod touch at work and in the ****ter...

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I have more posts on this forum than all the other gun forums combined. Thus us my #1 go to forum for everything firearms related, bar none.

S&W, the , tfl, and 1000's of others use tapatalk without issues. Some have 100,000 or more members.
    If there's an issue with tapatalk, I sure don't know of it.

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I just have my fav websites on my "Bookmarks" page. One "tap" and I'm on.

Phone is an HTC Evo.

And, am I the only one that sees the irony in Brian going off on a Pastor?:p

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Lol!! We all have our moments. :eek:

19. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I don't think the app Notdku is working on is just for FTF. I believe it's something vBulletin has put out.

Either way I'll be grateful for whatever he decides to do with his site. My ONLY REQUEST would be that it doesn't constantly bombard us with pop ups advertising it's availability.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  20. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It's all good, bro.:p