White lithium

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NvRbanArms, Feb 1, 2012.

1. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

WHat about white lithium grease for the slides? Think it would bind up? Should I just stick to rail grease?

2. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Here's a good article on lubrication. I experimented with the ATF/STP formulation & it is slick as all get out & stays where you put it, but the way I applied it, was kinda messy & a nuisance to mix it. Heard about Finish Line Dry Lube, a bicycle chain lubricant with Teflon, & opted to use it instead.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

3. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I don't think that the white grease will be able to stand up to the temperature change in a gun, I started to use high temp wheel bearing grease after ruining several dress shirts and slacks with gun oil. It may or may not be better than oil but the grease will stay where you put it and not run when warmed up. With over 1K rounds through my Glock and almost that many through my 1911, I can not see any wear problems or gumming issues at all. Everything runs smooth and cleans up easily, I do clean each gun after every trip to the range. I'm not sure about using ATF as it is a detergent or has detergent properties I should say, it is great for polishing metal, and will run easily.

4. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

You're using grease on your Glock?!!!
    Never heard of anyone doing that before. I'm actually surprised it hasn't gummed up on you. not saying you don't have an idea of what you're doing but Glocks take only a tiny amount of oil.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I use it & never had a problem - A little goes a long way-

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I like to use it at places like sear to hammer contact.

7. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

I used it on my glock. But just on the slide rail only. No internals. And I tried it on my m9. Again slide rail only. I'll use it till it proves not to be a good thing. See how it holds up After the range.

8. levelcross

levelcross New Member

So far so good, I use a small plastic hook tool to apply just a small amount to the same spots you are supposed to use oil. It is just a thin coating and I rub down the outside of the barrel with just enough to tell it is there. We are taking a group out to the range in a couple of weeks to get them accustomed to shooting different guns and expect to run 500 rounds thru the Glock so I will check it when I clean it up that evening to see what it looks like.

9. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I'd like to hear the report

10. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

White lithium grease is a good lubricant, for some equipment I guess, but I would never use it on my firearms. It can be very messy. I also think it would attract more dust and other grit than other lubricants. I have a Springfield NM M1A. I was very concerned about what lube to use with it. I did some research and tried different oils and greases. I found a great product that is designed to protect chains and gears under high pressure. It is synthetic aerosol product that comes out as a liquid and quickly turns into a clear grease. I use Q-tips to control the application of it in small places. It sticks to metal surfaces better than anything I have tried so far. I have been using it for a few years and it has worked very well. No, I don't sell the stuff. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  11. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

ditto on the wheel bearing grease. since it seems more durable than lithium & has a higher melt temp it holds up better in the long run.

i've been using the pennzoil red wheel bearing grease on the slides of my autos for a couple years now & man they run like they're on ball bearings. once you run the action a few times to clean out all the excess it stays in place pretty good

12. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

I always use grease on my firearms. Some of my instructors explained it in a few words. "machines that create heat and high cycles love grease" I always used EWG products with the little applicator. I am sure it is the same as some regular other grease but I stick with what I know.

http://www.slip2000.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=EWG

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

The slip 2000 is the only product I've found that my AR10 won't burn off almost immediately. Regular CLP makes it smoke like an old freightliner. The slip smokes, but VERY little. The BCG never dries out with moderate round counts. Love the stuff.