White deer

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by JTJ, Jan 28, 2011.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am awarea of the white deer in Wisconsin since I live right below in Illinois. I have never seen one but I think they are an awesome treasure. Not many hunters dare to shoot one. There's also a town in Illinois that has white squirrels.

http://www.ci.olney.il.us/Visitors/WhiteSquirrel.htm

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I believe that there are places *cough-gag canned hunts cough* that have been breeding Albino animals for people to shoot for the display. I won't shoot a wild Albino animal unless it is putting holes in my dam. Then, I don't really care what color it is. Heck, it could be the first documented example of mammal illuminecence in a furry hole digging dam destroyer for all I care, it will be eliminated. Otherwise, they are too rare and beautiful to count as a "trophy" to any hunter worth a damn to me.

*Disclaimer*

I have no issues with any hunter who hunts nothing but trophies. If the hunts are legal and by the book, then have at it.

*End Disclaimer*

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Back home there's white deer. Not albino, just white. We have a few here but do have a lot of piebalds.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

+1. Same here in NH, Ma, and Me

5. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Also in NY.. The other white meat.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

There are white deer here in Central WI, Marathon County. I saw a white doe on my way to work one morning last fall. Its not legal to shoot them in WI. I hunt in LA also and have never heard that they were protected. The fox squirrels in central FL were/are multi-colored, including all white.

7. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Legal to shoot in NY, but if the animal rights ding-bats have their way.....

8. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Here in the central part of Missouri we have some wild albino whitetail

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

There is a town here in NC called Brevard that is known for it's white squirrels.

10. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Here's a video a friend of mine took of one of a white deer in his backyard,another friend of mine keeps seeing a white buck in his back yard in a subdivision right in the middle of town

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaF7CA1D4ME[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  11. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

In OK we are not allowed to kill a white deer. It's a Native American thing.

12. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I don't believe it's against the law here in MO. to shoot a white deer,I have seen some pics. of white deer taken in some gun shops...
    I personally couldn't shoot such a beautiful and unique animal JMO

13. BigMike

BigMike New Member

Where I'm from in the Mountains of East TN, this would be "The Other White Meat" served at our table.

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

He'll I have an albino buck and a calico doe in my town.

15. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

My wife's albino and I would never shoot her.
    Not seen an albino deer in the wild though. I'd imagine that it would look pretty cool. I'd still shoot it if it were in season though.

16. Wenonah

Wenonah New Member

We have goat colored deer on our little island. I'm told that there is so little predator pressure with the wolves gone that the mutation that lead to odd colors is able to spread where in the past the easy ones to spot would be eaten quickly. First time I saw one I thought it was a breed of goat I wasn't familiar with at first.