Whinchester wild cat yes or no?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by bushpigkilla, Jan 1, 2012.

1. bushpigkilla

bushpigkilla New Member

Should I buy one or not. I want a gun to last for long time that I don't have to muck around with. Can you thread the end of the barrel for sup.

2. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

why would you need to supress a 22 sporting rifle?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can thread any barrel if you throw enough money and/or effort at it.

22lr rifles can be effectively suppressed if you are using subsonics or go integral suppressed if you want to use standard velocity.

22lr isnt a great suppressor friendly round for a couple of reasons. its verry very very dirty so any suppressor you get needs to be user serviceable. second the normal 22lr round is super sonic with very little muzzle blast out of a typical rifle barrel. so unless you are running subsonics its kinda pointless. the sonic crack is louder than the muzzle blast out of a 22lr rifle.

there are two ways to get around that problem. integral supressed barrel or super short under 5 inch barrel. both will allow you to use standard velocity rounds. integral bleeds off enough gasses to push the round at subsonic speed. short barrels dont generate enough speed before the barrel ends to go super sonic.

if your firearm is semi-auto subsonics will probably not have enough energy to cycle the action. bolt action it doesnt matter.

just some things to think about in regards to suppressing a 22lr

4. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I have a review of the rifle from last year. An inexpensive (read cheap) Russian manufacture. I'll try to dig it out for the particulars, but it wasn't a glowing report. Of course the writer went through the review telling what was wrong (he first had to send it back for repairs to get it to work). Then he proceeded to say he'd open his checkbook and keep it! I would guess it was too beat up from being hit, smashed, and abused when it wouldn't function properly.
    Personally, I wouldn't waste the money.

5. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Find an old Marlin in a pawn shop...usually $150 or less for bolts & semi-auto's.
    The Marlin model 39 series Lever-actions are the standard for levers...built like a main battle tank & last 100 years...just ask Annie Oakley :D
    I've found 'em for $200-300. I prefer the pre-crossbolt safety...as I'm old-fashioned....safety is in your HEAD.

6. bushpigkilla

bushpigkilla New Member

Thanks I want a new bolt rifle, but a cheap will one do for all intensive purp. Occasionally knocking a few bunnies for the pot. Down under here cz's are the standard. I have seen a couple of wild cats around but not had a chance to have a shot. Marlin's sound good but are they pricey

7. bushpigkilla

bushpigkilla New Member

Pricey brand new

8. bushpigkilla

bushpigkilla New Member

But are they pricey brand new?

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

marlins are some of the most accurate and inexpensive 22 rifles there are. usually can be had for less than $170 NIB, sometimes picked used for less than $120. i bought a M60 several months ago, that was cosmeticly challenged, for $70 +tax refinished it, scoped it and still have less than $100 in it. there are some good deals out there if you get out and look for them at gun stores and pawn shops.

10. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Well bushpigk, I've looked all over for the magazine with the review on the Wildcrap and can't find it. It must have been one of the mags I took to work and left. Sorry.
    I will say, based on what I read about it, I wouldn't touch one. As others have said here, you can get a good deal used on much better rifles.
    Let us know what you get.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The wildcats are actually a very good rifle. If they have been kept in decent shape that is. Mine in 22 mag is obe of the most accurate rimfires iv ever seen. The new marlin xt series are some truelly amazing bolt 22s

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

13. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Marlinman, I'm talking about the new Russian mfg. Wildcats. After reading last years review, I'd still pass. I'll try and track down one.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes i know but the OP is talking about winchester wildcats not russian made crap

15. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I have the Russian TOZ-17 that the Winchester (made in Russia) is based upon. 'Winchester gets the nod for fit & finish - much nicer stock. The TOZ looks like Ivan was blind drunk when he tried to do the checkering, then just said "Sod it all!" and dunked it in the first barrel of orange goo he found. I plan to strip and refinish it this winter.
    However, TOZ gets the nod for a much better (adjustable!) trigger.
    Mine is very accurate, shooting right with my Marlins. I would not pay more than Marlin prices for either the TOZ or the Winchester. Good basic twentytwo rifle.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

My winchester has an adjustable trigger and it was NIB when my aunt bought it at the pawnshop 7 years ago...but like i said mines a 22 mag.

17. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i own both. i would say go with a marlin. between the two i think the marlin is more accurate. wildcat looks a little better. if you believe that actions speak louder than words... i shoot my marlin all the time. i shoot the wildcat once a year. maybe two years. hehe