Which WW2 Submachine Gun was Best

Discussion in 'History' started by GatorDude, Apr 13, 2014.

1. M1 Thompson

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. M3 Greasegun

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. Sten Gun

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. MP40 "Schmeiser"

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. PPSh-41

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

Here's fuel for a debate. Which World War II Submachine gun was the best? Was it the Tommy Gun, the Grease Gun, the Sten Gun, the "Schmeiser," the PPSh-41 or something else?

Here's my list and choice:
    Which World War II Submachine Gun was Best?

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

It really depends what you consider "best" .. do we include cost dependent or cost independent? just as in performance or reliablity included?

The mst affordable was the Sten.
    The ergonomic and reliability of the PPSH were terrible despite its nice capacity
    The Tommy gun was the best made
    The MP40 had a good balance of all features

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

frankly beings all of these are restricted firearms and at least 70 years old or older, and most of us will probably never even get to fire them, anything we might offer would be more of guess than anything.

so pretty much most of what we can determine comes from a few that have fired them, maybe some veterans that got the opportunity and what we might have read in some magazines or history books, it kind of makes it difficult to make an informed opinion on this subject.

4. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i've fired them all. IMO: The PPSH is the best by far.

5. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

I reckon it's a toss up between the MP40 and the Thompson both good close combat guns and both firing a 9mm round and a good rate of fire.

6. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

The only submachine guns I have ever shot where a sten and a Reising .45 ACP. I did not like the sten because I am left handed and the reising jammed about 3 times. Now if I could only find a tommy gun to shoot.

7. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course you say that:)

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Thompson was 45 ACP.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would take a M1 carbine over the lot of em.

10. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

HARD choice!!...

I have shot most of the above also (sorry, but Sten's are kind of rare in these parts)... If I had to choose (and that's also based on if I had the money and could afford one of these...) I vote for the Thompson.
    It was well built, iconic to the American firearm lexicon, compact (if you're airborne.. a BIG plus), has a high round capacity available AND shoots the reliable (I.E. stopping power guaranteed) and (for now at least..) easily available and reloadable 45acp...and if you own a 1911 as well..... one type of ammo to carry in a combat situation!!

The only real drawbacks I can see about it is weight (over 10 1/2 lbs empty!!) and as with all submachines, limited range... But I would carry a rifle if I wanted to really reach out & touch someone!!

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would love to have a Thompson. I would take a semi-auto version and be happy with it. In fact that is on my short list. However if I were offered any of the listed guns I would not turn any of them down. As far as experience with the weapons...sorry but the only shooting I have done with these would be on "Call of Duty". I obviously can't draw a conclusion from a video game.

12. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I'd say it's a draw between the Thompson and MP40.

13. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

Interesting responses. These would all be fun to shoot. For shooting, I think I'd definitely go with the Thompson.

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The Germans re-issued (and renamed) the captured PPSH's. That's a first hand endorsement.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

This is about sub machine guns so at least make it an M2. They do have a bad tendency to climb though.

16. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Just to correct a common error. Heinrich Vollmer designed the MP 38 and MP 40, not Hugo Schmeisser...although both variants have been incorrectly called "Schmeissers" in popular literature, movies, etc, for decades.

The only sub-gun on the list that I have experience with is the .45 M3 blowback. It wouldn't make my top-ten list of weapons I'd want in combat.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  17. readytogo

readytogo New Member

The MG 42 (shortened from German: Maschinengewehr 42),Nicknamed "the buzzsaw," by our boys in ww2.

18. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Famous weapon but not a "sub" machine gun. The 42 set the standard for light MGs for many years and our M60 was just one offshoot of that great design. Most light MGs in service today have the basic 42-design as an ancestor.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  19. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

German mp40 in 9mm. The stem is stunning crude, but cheep and numerous. The tom tom is tenecly a ww1 gun. A very refined gun but hevy for combat