Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I use these for opening mail and packages. If a person were to carry one of these, which would be best? Push button like the white one or lever lock like the green one? Both are fast to lock up.

Reactions: towboater

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
View attachment 245777 First of all I use these for opening mail and packages. If a person were to carry one of these, which would be best? Push button like the white one or lever lock like the green one? Both are fast to lock up.
Best will be up to only yourself. Me, I do prefer a push button one.

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
Switch blades are illegal in some states.
Neither. I carry an assisted open Kershaw Cryo. If I needed faster I would carry a fixed blade.

·
Registered
Whatever tickles my fancy in the morning and what I'm going to be doing
76 Posts
I don't carry a knife for self defense but if I did, it would not be either of those.

Reactions: OldGnome

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've never had a switchblade....not sure if I even seen on except in a pic.
I have carried a folding knife before for utility, but never for protection.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've carried a 3 blade stockman pocket knife since I was about 10. Used them for a lot of things but never defense. 'Course I guess I could if needed.

·
Supporting Member
12,913 Posts
My everyday Carry!
Tool Knife Kitchen utensil Everyday carry Tableware

Automotive lighting Font Material property Rectangle Carmine

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
Off the subject, Sharps do you own that TF or is it just an avatar?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes sir JTJ, that's mine. It's a 1955. There's also a 1956 MG-A, an all original 1974 MG-B and a 1967 Morris Minor 2 dr. in the shop. All are very good drivers, none are concourse winners....or even entrants. The wife and I, especially me, enjoy them immensely. It's rare I drive the 2017 Mercedes and my old work truck gets driven when needed or when the boss has to go along. "The Boss", he's two years older than this picture and he has us well trained now.....:)

Head Dog Cabinetry Eye Dog breed

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the bone handle one...but if you carry it, you have to wear a white T-Shirt with your smokes rolled up in one sleeve.
If you do carry smokes rolled up in the T-shirt that have to be lucky strikes or camels.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wouldn't Pall Mall or Chesterfield work as well?........ :).......and a "Hollywood" haircut?

Good grief...are we telling our age or what?!?!?!

Reactions: Clifffalling

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
Wouldn't Pall Mall or Chesterfield work as well?........ :).......and a "Hollywood" haircut?

Good grief...are we telling our age or what?!?!?!
Luckies were the top selling brand in the 30's&40's and it was what the kids carried. I think it was 2 packs for a quarter around 1948.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I was 5 or 6, '58 or '59, Mom would give me 2 quarters and I'd walk the 2 blocks to the local Shell station and get 2 packs of Winston's, one for Mom and one for Dad. Can you imagine the prison sentence someone would get today for selling a 6 year old kid 2 packs of cigarettes? 'Course at 10 or 12 we bought 22 ammo at the little neighborhood grocery store. 35 cents for a box of shorts. If we found enough soda bottles to sell to make 50 cents we could get long rifle's.

Everything got a lot quicker when I got a bicycle and learned to ride. My little one horse, no stop light back then, Ozark hills home town...I still love it.

In the late 40's I wouldn't doubt in the least 2 packs for a quarter. Even when I was a kid you could get 6, full size candy bars for a quarter.

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
Boy, did this thread change directions. In the city it was normal for kids to go to a bar and get a growler.
Switch blades were popular in the "Hoods" and there were a bunch with different ethnic make up. Irish and Italian were prominent but there were others too like Polish and Armenian. You could get any kind of food.
As a younger kid I would see the teens with their T shirts and cigarettes in the sleeve. Most had switch blades in their back pocket. Every "Hood" had it's gang of kids protecting their territory. Different world than rural. In the Italian hoods some of the tougher or smarter kids moved on to organized crime. Tough were soldiers and smart started as runners. Jobs outside were hard to come by and NINA was real. Stores or small business owners used family for staff.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
When I was 5 or 6, '58 or '59, Mom would give me 2 quarters and I'd walk the 2 blocks to the local Shell station and get 2 packs of Winston's, one for Mom and one for Dad. Can you imagine the prison sentence someone would get today for selling a 6 year old kid 2 packs of cigarettes? 'Course at 10 or 12 we bought 22 ammo at the little neighborhood grocery store. 35 cents for a box of shorts. If we found enough soda bottles to sell to make 50 cents we could get long rifle's.

Everything got a lot quicker when I got a bicycle and learned to ride. My little one horse, no stop light back then, Ozark hills home town...I still love it.

In the late 40's I wouldn't doubt in the least 2 packs for a quarter. Even when I was a kid you could get 6, full size candy bars for a quarter.
I remember as a very little kid that the local hardware store sold dynamite sticks at $1.25 each. They were kept in the open on a high up shelf. Good thing I didn't know what to do with it......

I also remember in high school when a state conservation magazine we got named "The Louisiana Conservationist" had an article on how to create your own duck hunting potholes in the marsh using ammonia nitrate, kerosene, and a blasting cap. I still remember the recipe, how much of the two ingredients to use and where to get them then. Try doing that today. McVey must have read the same article......

·
Registered
76 Posts
Boy, did this thread change directions. In the city it was normal for kids to go to a bar and get a growler.
Switch blades were popular in the "Hoods" and there were a bunch with different ethnic make up. Irish and Italian were prominent but there were others too like Polish and Armenian. You could get any kind of food.
As a younger kid I would see the teens with their T shirts and cigarettes in the sleeve. Most had switch blades in their back pocket. Every "Hood" had it's gang of kids protecting their territory. Different world than rural. In the Italian hoods some of the tougher or smarter kids moved on to organized crime. Tough were soldiers and smart started as runners. Jobs outside were hard to come by and NINA was real. Stores or small business owners used family for staff.
Wow! What a completely different world from the one I grew up in. It sounds like "The West Side Story" whereas ours would sound like Ma and Pa Kettle. Still had the cigs rolled up in the T-shirt sleeves though...lol!

Southern, we bought ammonia nitrate in 50 lb. bags for ice melt because it won't attack concrete like salt will and the grass and plants liked it a lot better. Those days are over. I remember Dad talking about buying dynamite at the local hardware store but I don't remember it. Could be I just didn't know it either, they had everything else and, we could buy low brass shotshells for a nickel each.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts