Which to buy?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by JackieBrown13, Aug 16, 2013.

1. JackieBrown13

JackieBrown13 New Member

Walther PPK, Sig P238, or S&W Model 60 Pro?!?!?!

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jackie,

In my opinion even though the other pistols are good pistols. I believe the top quality pistol of the ones listed is the Sig P238. Not knocking the others but the qaulity, performance and accuracy of the Sig P-238 is unquestionable.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

2 options I know are .380ACP, but isn't the S&W Mod 60 pro a .357 revolver?

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

If you're talkin the Smith model 60 wheel gun, it it were me that's the one I'd buy. No question.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Have you looked at the Bersa Thunder380? It is styled very much like the PPK and is MUCH more affordable. It is also available with a double-stack magazine that holds 14~ but at the expense of a thicker, heavier pistol.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Smith and Wesson. After reading reviews of the PPK, I wouldn't even consider it much of an option, but that's with no personal experience either. All reports I've read say they're uncomfortable as hell at the best, and damn near worthless arrty the worst, with the bersa as the better between the two.

Sig makes amazing guns. I can't say anything bad about them. They also have one styled after the PPK that I have shot, and it's awesome.

But Smith and Wesson wheel guns... oh yes. Oh yes.

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

And of course, because it's less expensive,..like a Kel-Tec p32 or P3-AT it's almost impossible to find a Bersa Thunder. I only see the .22LR around here,.in the 3.5" tube. I understand the 4.25" only comes in the larger calibers....wouldn't mind a .380 with a long barrel like that!...

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Many moons ago, when I did PI work to supplement my teachers income(my Cousin had a law firm in Westchester co. NY) I had a pre-68 PPK in .380 as a Back-up. now we have the Stainless PPK/s in .22LR, and a stainless PP in .32, Plus an FEG.Walther copy in .32ACP. The SIG 230-232 is the PPK like SIG you speak of Trip....very sweet piece indeed...but Hard to find.

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

PPK has a long proven track record. Sig and Walther are high quality and reliable guns. Easy to shoot and very accurate. I would go with the German guns. I would love to have a PPK myself, but it does not meet my needs.:( I am a little confused why you pick to semi-auto .380s and one .357 revolver though.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

You always do seem to gravitate towards the German guns. I know you live there and everything, but is there any other reason why?

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Doesn't S&W manufacture the PPK in the U.S.A. nowadays?

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Thanks for the question.I have owned American, Italian, Austrian, Czech and German guns. The German ones had the best quality, trade/resale value, engineering, accuracy and reliability. This is my opinion. We all have one:D I am not talking out of my ass. I would be if I only owned German guns. Peace.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

HK and Sig manufacture in the US too. They are still made with same engineering and quality. V w Beatles were made in Mexico too...

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Soooooooooooooooooo, how do you feel about the Taurus PT92 in comparison to the Beretta 92FS?
    :D

(Westfalia all the way)

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting. I figured it was something like that. Solid reasoning. I've never owned German guns. At least not yet. I have no qualms against them.

:)

16. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I owned the Baretta and fired the Taurus. Oh I owned a .357 from Taurus too. I think the Italian gun has better quality materials. I also fired my friends 1911 from Taurus. I liked the quality of the Mark IV I used to own much better. Taurus is cheaper, and they work, but they are not as good as the originals they copy. Oh, I owned a PPK nock off from Taurus too. It failed to eject casings. I took it back and bought some weird plastic, fairly recent gun to the US market, called a Glock 17....

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

***Break****

Of the original 3 options in the original post, I would take the PPK if I wanted a .380.
    The S&W if I wanted a revolver.

(I've had good luck with my PPK/s.)

18. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I own a PPK 380. It is a good little shooter that has eaten everything I've put through it after the first couple magazines. And I have put some crappy ammo through it! I handled the Sig also, but the PPK felt better in my hand. Especially with the magazine with the finger rest. Put them both in your hand and see what gives you the warm fuzzies. They are both good guns. I also seem to have an affinity for well made, steel guns that have been around a while. I have a SS Colt Gov't to pair with the PPK.

19. ontime

ontime New Member

No doubt ,Kahr cm9

20. JackieBrown13

JackieBrown13 New Member

Those are the three I've narrowed down for the lady. She does not like recoil much. Was looking for some personal experiences, so thanks. Anyone comment on a j frame .38 special recoil vs a subcompact 9? I imagine it is less than the 9. She does not like the 9 I carry. She likes my beretta though, just too big for her hands, and she is familiar and comfy with the operation, so i thought ppk since it has the decocker/safety. She likes the looks of that and the p238. i have shot that a bunch. super easy to manipulate. The .380s are something she can handle and would have fun shooting.

Just another helpless man hoping to get his woman involved in something he loves....