Which to buy

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by elfmdl, May 21, 2013.

1. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I am going to purchase a 1911 and am between a Remington R1, Ruger SR1911, and a kimber custom ii. It will mainly be used for target use, but will also probably be taken in the truck with me from time to time. What's your guys opinion?

2. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

Don't forget about sig sauer. I love mine and it silky smooth. Be carful with kimber. They are very nice but some of their models they have gone using aluminum frames. My next 1911 will probably be fusion 10mm when I have more funds to play with.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Check out the Smith&Wesson E-series.

Out of the ones you listed, I'd pick the Ruger.

4. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Should have mentioned that I would like to keep the price at $800 or less

5. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Ohh sorry lol. The E-series is out then. Lol

I'd go with the Ruger if it were my pick.

6. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

Sig is still your price range then depending on the model. I don't know where your gonna get any kimber for $800.

7. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

The kimber custom ii at my local gun store are priced at 800

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

On your list: Ruger. Why? Their reputation for excellent Customer Support. Along with the best chance of not ever needing it.
    Other options: Springfield Armory. Huge line-up, something for nearly all price points and tastes.
    Sig? A matter of taste. I have never liked the "signature Sig cut" on the slide. It just bugs me, YMMV. That said, the Sig "Traditional" line has some nice options.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd go Rem, S&W, Ruger, Springfield, and avoid the Kimber.

They have hit or miss QC, and mediocre CS. Which, IMHO,

makes them way overpriced.

10. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

Springfield has a nice 1911 also... I love mine... mil spec a1 around 800.. very reliable shoots great and Moe accurate then I am...

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  11. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

I like the look of the slide on my sig. That said it is frustrating to have to find a custom holster. I got a Kramer leather that works great after being broken in. Springfields are nice too. I'd look into a kimber for $800 before I bought it. Smells fishy.

12. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

Yeah I agree with rifleman I haven't seen a kimber around here for less then a 1000.00

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I just love Kimber.

14. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I would beware of the Kimber. Chances are great that you will get a good one. Based on my experience, if you don't get a good one you may have a problem with their repair service. They never did fix mine after 3 tries, and each try made it worse. They did refund my purchase price, but I had to get nasty to get it.

If it was me I would consider a Sig. Mine is flawless.

15. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

You looking for a GI model or a tactical model?

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

A Kimber Custom II goes for just under $800 from Bud's. The only thing fishy is that the similar offerings from Remington or Ruger are cheaper.
    Kimber is not "special" in the premium sense of the word. Their one year warranty and hit-or-miss customer service are, however, "special" in the "riding the short bus" sense of the word. IMHO, Kimber makes an average pistol with an above average price.

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

You should be able to get a Sig at that price point. Mine was $845 including sales tax and background check. Of course they were better times for buying a gun. Now I don't know what the same gun would go for. THIS is the one I have.

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I do not have any room in my safe for any Kimber.

Have you checked out the used firearms? There are deals to be had if you don't mind buying used.

But either way, do consider the additional costs of holster and extra mags.

19. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I'm starting to wonder if this is regional. I got a Stainless Compact for $700 and Super Carry Custom for $1100 (both new) from my LGS. However, I've never seen a Colt on the shelf for less than $1000, and that's for the "base" models. My Defender & New Agent were both about $1100 after tax.

20. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some areas understand the real value of Colts. ;)