Which to buy??? The 1911 or the 1991 colt

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by doug4523, Feb 26, 2012.

1. doug4523

doug4523 New Member

I have been trying to decide on which is the better investment. The stories of the plastic parts in the 1991 or the buying of a old design of gun that people tend to buy after market parts to update them (1911). Both guns our hard to find on a shelf. And both guns brand new our marked up 200 dollars above colts suggested list price. I've always wanted a gun that shoots farther then I can spit. The guns I have are for up close defense. You can'nt hit **** with them beyond five feet. I want a gun that will hold up over the years and retain its value. And of course easy to get replacement parts. Colt seems to be the best name out they're, and every gun shop is out of them all the time. So which is the better gun??? The 1911 or the 1991 with plastic internal parts.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

3. spack762

spack762 New Member

Loved my 1991. Loved my 1911. Both are great guns. You'll be good with eithet.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not sure what plastic parts your talking about. Do you mean the composite MSH? Most production 1911's have them today.

From what I can tell about your desire in a new gun, I think this is one I can recommend with no hesitation.

The Colt Gold Cups - they ARE the standard, take your pick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. doug4523

doug4523 New Member

I've never heard of the gold cup version. What makes them special

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

WOW- Been special for many years for many reasons :cool:

7. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

It has a match grade barrel, lightwieght skelitonized trigger and hammer, all around better performer. Ill be getting that one in blue and ima deck it out with wilson combat parts and make it look like the punishers gun.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I like the 1911A1 70 series myself

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I've got the 1991 series 80. Been a great shooter for many years with no problems. I would like to find a blued series 70 without the front cocking seration but have not come across one yet.

Tack

10. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Wait a minute!! If'n they're so great, why ya gotta go changing a bunch of stuff?? ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself! :eek:

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i was kind of wondering the same thing. i have shot the Gold Cups many years ago, they don't need anything but ammo and magazines.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

From Colt;

"The Colt Gold Cup is known as the finest shooting semi-automatic in the world, and is the standard for competitive guns. The first Colt Gold Cup pistol was introduced in the late 1950’s to give competitive shooters a gun to take directly from the dealer’s showcase to the firing line. Colt Gold Cup pistols have been used to compete in local club matches through the National Matches at Camp Perry."

13. doug4523

doug4523 New Member

That's the answer I need. Thank you. I'll start looking for one.

14. doug4523

doug4523 New Member

These guns are very popular. I've tried eight gun shops and they are all sold out. The price for one is outrageous. Thousand dollars after tax.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My friend bought a Colt 1991A1 and it's a great pistol. But we both agree it doesn't measure up to my 1976 Series '70 which as a much better finish and is a smoother running gun, even though both are reliable.

16. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Whats the diffrence between the gold cup trophy and the natipnal match gold cup, I can get both for under 900 nib. Just dont know which one is better