Which to buy: Mossberg 500 series

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by HawkI, Apr 20, 2010.

1. HawkI

HawkI New Member

Looking to spend around $300 for a mossberg 500 shotgun in 12 ga. It's for home defense and possibly SHTF. I have narrowed down my choices to the Persuader and Road Blocker models.

With the Persuader, a synthetic stock is attached along with a breach barrel. I myself wouldn't have use for a breach barrel. The Road Blocker seems to rarely come with a stock but rather a pistol grip and muzzle brake. I know MB's are loud, but what shotgun isn't? Does the muzzle brake make up for lack of control without a stock?

So basically my main concern is this: is recoil with pistol grip pump going to throw my shoulder for a spin, even with muzzle brake? Otherwise I'd go with the persuader.

2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I dislike pistol grip shotguns because of the kick. I can take 2 accurate shots with a shoulder stock shotgun much faster than a pistol grip but that's just me. Also though that muzzle break, I have not heard it but if it works as good as it looks it would be deafening inside a home. I can't even imagine how loud it would be in a narrow hallway or something.
    /Just my 2c

3. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Muzzle Brakes vent the propellant gases sideways to help with felt recoil and muzzle flip during rapid fire. I really don't like shotguns with pistol handgrips, but that's just me.

4. HawkI

HawkI New Member

Yeah, I agree about the pistol grips. I'd take the road blocker if I can find it with a stock or can attach one for cheap. But the Persuader is still in the lead for my purchase.

5. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

So, you must be wanting to get this one... :cool:

[​IMG]

6. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

I've never had any problems with a Mossberg 500.
    I currently own a 590 and it is a joy to behold.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I bought the Mossberg 500A package with a 26" and 18.5" barrel at Big 5 for around $240. some years back. I sold the 26" barrel and keep the 18.5" on it. I installed factory Mossberg Ghostring sights for about $40. if I remember correctly.

It has a full stock, handles well, doesn't break and I can hit clays with it. Maybe I'm cheap, but it's all I need. If you want "tactical" go ahead, but I think it's a waste of money. You can buy a bunch of shells for what you'd save.

JMHO

8. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

CA357,
    Can I ask why you sold the 26" barrel? :confused:
    I think that's a pretty cool package: 18.5" for HD and 26" for sport shooting.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I sold the long barrel because for me, it's a dedicated SD/HD shotgun. I don't normally shoot clays or hunt, so there was no need for it. The few times I did shoot clays with the short barrel were a hoot though. It took me a while to get dialed. ;)

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I don't mind a pistol grip on a shotgun but I don't like them without a shoulder stock. Pistol grip in front bothers me to no end.

11. HawkI

HawkI New Member

Yes this looks similar, except the one I saw had a breacher barrel on it. Look up the 930 tactical 5-shot. It was the persuader but with a barrel like the 930.

12. HawkI

HawkI New Member

UnderFire: your picture looks similar to what I've been eye-balling, except the barrel is different. Look up the 930 5-shot tactical. It has a barrel like that one.

13. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

[​IMG]

HawkI,
    How about this one?
    The one you're interested in...has a barrel like this Mossberg 930,
    but it's a Persuader 500?

14. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I have a 500A and I outfited it with a folding stock with a pistol grip. I have the 18 1/2 barrel for HD. I do have a pistol fore-grip but I have learned to love it, not to mention I can remove it if I really want for whatever reason. I find the pistol grip with a stock is a good deal, it feels more natural to me and gives me the option of shouldering the weapon or having just a pistol grip if I want for really close quarter HD situations.
    I've shot with just the pistol grip while using 00 buckshot just to see how it would be and it didnt hurt me none. :D

15. HawkI

HawkI New Member

UnderFire: I may have been mistaken when I was shopping around. Perhaps the Persuader 500 doesn't come with a breacher barrel? If it came down between the 930 Tactical and the 500 Persuader, I'd go with the 500.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

My Mossy is a classic old & very used 500 with new plastic furniture & the 18.5" barrel. It is by my bed at this moment, closer than the snooze button. Consider one of the "side saddle" type shell holders for keeping a few extra shells at hand (inexpensive & hid some scuffs on mine).

[​IMG]

I don't know if you can tell in the crappy celpic, but this buttstock has a full stock AND a pistol grip to offer some options for tight spaces. I have since added the shell holder (left side of receiver) and dumped the strap.

17. FlBob518

FlBob518 New Member

Mossberg 500 breecher.

Attached Files:

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Pistol grips are for firing from the hip, you try to shoulder fire with one and you lose a few teeth. Here's what I got...out the door for $279.00

[​IMG]

Mossberg 50516 12ga 18"Bl With PG Kit for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $279.00

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  19. FlBob518

FlBob518 New Member

Light mounts for a Mossberg 54125

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010