Which Stainless 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by mesinge2, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Dan Wesson

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  2. Smith & Wesson

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Para USA

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Something else, but what?

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  1. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I always wanted an all Stainless government model 1911. I have 5 others; three are blued one is two-tone and the other is a stainless defender. All are Colts but one and I think I'd another non-colt 1911, just for something different. I want to keep it single stack though.

The Smith is the new "E" Series that is a series 70 style with a FLGR requiring a bushing wrench.

The Dan Wesson is also a series 70 but with a GI guide rod.

The Para is a series 80 style (I think?) with a FLGR requiring a bushing wrench.

Here are the ones I can't choose between:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Of the 3 you listed, only the Dan Wesson doesn't have a FPB (like a series 70 Colt). You should look at a Springer Loaded as well...

[​IMG]

3. tmoore912

tmoore912 New Member

I voted the Dan Wesson, but I agree with NGIB...............you ought to consider the Springfield Loaded SS.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Voted DW, you didn't have Ed Brown. The DW uses a bunch of Ed Brown Parts.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Get the one with the Lazer.:)

6. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I liked that the new Smith and Wesson "E" Series is sans series 80 safety

7. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Does the long slide springer have the same screw in guide-rod that the 5" models have?

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It uses a bull barrel and no bushing like most smaller guns do. It does have a 2 piece rod but that's just the nature of the beast - doesn't bother me at all. On the 5" Springers, it's simple to replace the 2 piece rod for a 1 piece of a GI style rod & plug...

9. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I am gonna toss the Kimber Custom II stainless into the mix. I think they are right around 1,000.00$

10. tmoore912

tmoore912 New Member

I wasn't agreeing on a Springfield Loaded Longslide. That isn't an Apples to Apples comparision to the Dan Wesson Heritage. A comparable Springfield Loaded SS can be gotten NIB for around $775. Now if you want to spend over a grand, then I would consider the TRP SS.

ETA: Just say no to full length guiderods (FLGR):)

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

There are a few apples/oranges around these parts.

External extractor or internal? Don't care? Neither does S&W.

Lazer or not? Choose. The only reason the S&W is in the same range is because of it. It is not really in the same league as the Wesson.

Night sights or not? The SA Loaded has them, but the suggested Kimber does not.

I think you should choose what features you want or don't want and THEN choose the gun that fits. Until then, I voted "None of these." I'm not going to offer my opinion for you.

I know I just bought a Kimber Pro TLE II for a little less than the range you are suggestion and I am IN LOVE! I can't believe the Colt XSE SS Government isn't on this list!

12. General_lee

General_lee New Member

13. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Les Baer...... <---------I wish

14. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

The only reason that the Colt XSE SS Government isn't here is because I have a colt combat elite, 1918 Repro, a Commander XSE, and a Defender.

I actually don't have a preference for FLGRs or internal vs. external (as long as it works).
    I prefer a Novak rear sight with no dots and a night sight front sight (as far as I know nobody does that).
    I can live without a laser but it is about the same price as the others with it so I figured, why not?

P.S. Does the Kimber require anything other than a bushing wrench to disassemble?

15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Depends on the Kimber. I don't know their whole line, but mine is a bushingless bull barrel and requires a little paper-clip thingy to take down. It is also a 4", not a government.

You've got quite a 1911 collection. I'm not so blessed. Only 2 for me.

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Someone said SA Loaded NIB for around $775? Please tell me where.

Another said the SA Loaded with night sights? No, rear adjustable, but can be changed out.

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      61.2 KB
      Views:
  17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The Loaded does indeed come with night sights where the Loaded Target comes with adjustable sights. As far as price, my NIB Loaded Champion was like $795 + tax...

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Voted Dan Wesson because of the ones you listed I like the looks of it better and because it doesn't have the firing pin block. Of course more research is in order but you're getting good feedback in this thread.