Which Shoulder Holster?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by CA357, Dec 30, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have been wearing my 1911 around the house in a Triple K speed scabbard. I am not long enough in the torso for it to be comfortable. It just sits too high to be comfortable. So I've decided that when we've moved to our new home, I will use a shoulder holster. I'm also not that wide front to back, so a horizontal carry rig won't work either. So that leaves me with vertical carry.

So far, I've looked at the Galco VHS, the Bianchi X15 and the Triple K Challenger. I'm torn between the VHS and the X15. The Challenger looks very similar to the X15 and I think I'd prefer the Bianchi if I go with that design.

I also wonder if it's a problem carrying condition one in either of them.

So, would the folks that use shoulder holsters for carry kindly tell me what rig you use and please give me some input on the ones I'm considering.

2. hogrider

hogrider New Member

I have both Galco and Bianchi. The Bianchi I don't care for because they use elastic to go over the opposite shoulder. The Galco is better but uses some pretty thin leather. I can't speak to your third choice. Between Galco and Bianchi, I would go with the Galco. They both do the job they are designed for though.

3. CA357

So there's no problem carrying cocked and locked with the Galco?

I prefer the way the VHS looks although, obviously, it will be concealed.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I use the commander length in my rig. I forgot what brand, but the Ed Brown is held in a horizontal position without sticking out too bad.

5. CA357

Yeah, the horizontal won't work for me. I like El Paso Saddlery holsters, but they don't make a vertical carry model. I also can't afford a custom holster. Under $200. and preferably less work for me.

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I still like this one, and they build it for the Colt Commander

[​IMG]

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have the Bianchi Agent X rig and love it. It is all leather but It's horizontal. THe X15 is a vertical rig but I've not seen one other than pics to say much about it.

8. hogrider

hogrider New Member

No problem at all. I carry mine cocked and locked exclusively. Galco does make a vertical carry rig also.

9. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I wore a Bianchi leather for many years with my Ruger Speed Six snubbie and found it a very comfortable slap-draw, but that was in a colder climate. Still, it's good to have one for another carry option especially with heavier models and I may get one for my 1911. Let us know what you get and how it rides.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  10. CA357

Okay, but it will be a while.

11. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

A similar rig used to be called The Jackass Holster, but this is very nice, the gun is well balanced by the extra mag case and it won't slide much at all

12. CA357

That's a nice set up, but like I said, I need a vertical holster.

13. freefall

freefall New Member

I like the Original Jackass Leather horizontal rig, it has a thumb break that completely blocks the hammer from making contact, it's pretty much the same thing as the Galco Miami Classic. If your pistol is too long to hang horizontal on your torso, just lower the butt and angle the muzzle up past your armpit. I really think that's more the way these things were meant to be carried, about 3/4 upside down. PM me, I'll write you tediously boring instructions on how to make one CA, after your sheath project it won't be too tough. You'll have to buy a snap setter though, then you're almost in business. ;)

14. CA357

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll buy this rather than make it. Although it's an interesting idea. Then again, I have to think about that, it would be a hell of a project. ;)

15. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Same as previous post but in vertical. I find the tie-downs are necessary if you do a lot of physical activity. If you are short in the torso the tied-downs probably won't work though.

Attached Files:

16. CA357

I'm leaning towards the Galco VHS pretty much at this point. I still have plenty of time, so I can go slow on this.

17. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

The Bianchi you mentioned has a Spring Loaded feature that I really like, but as someone else pointed out, the elastic strap can really get old, after having it saw your shoulder all day long.

18. CA357

Good to know Bill, thanks.