Which Shotgun To Get

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Polygon, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Polygon

Polygon New Member

This summer I went shooting. Some of that was shooting clays. Most of my shooting is with rifles. I hadn't been shooting clays since I was in the scouts. Anyhow, I hit all of them but one. I'm surprised how well I did and had a lot of fun.

Long story short, I want to get into skeet shooting and I need to know what shotgun would be best. I assumed at the start a semi-auto would be good and I automatically thought of a Benelli. However, my dad likes to go pheasant hunting and he said I should get an over under. Then I thought about a side by side.

So, what would you suggest for skeet shooting?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. dmp

dmp New Member

"Best" is a crazy word. I use my 1100 Classic Trap for skeet and trap and I love it. Works great for my needs. I suggest you try many varieties, and find one which gives you a feeling of comfort and capability. :) Sorry for the non-answer, but it's an impossible question.

3. Slugo

Slugo New Member

Beretta 3901 auto from Bass Pro, Cabelas, Walmart, etc. Less than $600 bucks and good for any clay game and hunting. Indestructible and will last a lifetime. It's in the top 25 best shotguns produced...

4. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Can't believe I said pigeon hunting. I meant pheasant hunting.

I guess, I'm not really wanting to know a specific "best" shotgun. More, which kind of shotgun would be best. A semi-auto, side by side, or over under.

Thanks!

I'll look into that.

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

6. unclebear

unclebear New Member

for hunting, clay shooting, and other fun stuff I use a rem 870, but that's just me.

7. dmp

dmp New Member

Well, I'm a fan of the semi-auto. Unmatched volume of lead downrange :)

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Unclebear,

In your photo, who are you aiming the muzzle at? (I was never any good at over the shoulder shots):D

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Look for a good USED name brand gas action semi auto. After you shoot a while and form your own tastes, you may want something else, but you won't get anything that will really work any better, and you won't lose any money if you take decent care of it and decide to sell it later. GOOD O/Us are very durable and some people love them, but i am convinced the number one reason people buy an O/U is because they think its fashionable. A cheap O/U will not impress anyone, or handle all that well, or last very long with hard use.

10. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I would absolutely love to encourage you to go right to a nice Benelli.

But, I won't. I love Benellis, but they are tooooo much money for the average beginner shooter. ( unless the price tag is not an issue for you)

I have owned 3 different 391s. Had problems with them all. To be fair, I shot them all ALOT. I tried a Benelli, and never had any problems after shooting them ALOT.

That being said, for a beginner, (until you are sure you will be a long-term shooter) I suggest getting a nice, less expensive (used) auto. If you need to resell it, the financial hit will be far less.
    I recommend the autos because, if you ever want to shoot a 3 bird shoot, or auto only shoot, you can.
    By the way, MAKE SURE the gun fits you well.

11. Slugo

Slugo New Member

Define "nice". Any O/U less than $1000 bucks new will prove to be deficient in many areas. Mostly, reliability, durability and fit and finish. You're much better off with an autoloader such as a Beretta 3901...

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

It is an entry level O/U, intended for those who don't want to pay up into the thousands for a shotgun. I agree with those who recommended the semi autos, I shot a Remington 1100 and a Winchester Model 1897 when I was younger and they were virtually indestructible, although not always reliable.

I have friends who have purchased CZ shotguns and have shot hell out of them with no issues.

What have you heard about these, other than they are made in Turkey?

The least expensive Beretta O/U starts around $2000, their semi auto 3901 at $1000.

13. spektr

spektr New Member

Benellis are recoil operated. there is no recoil reduction like a gas gun. they are also a bit on the light side.. I would expect them to take a lot out of you at a trap range. great dead reliable guns, but I think you might get beat up by one. Also ask a simple question.. Why dont i see morre of them on the trap line???

14. unclebear

unclebear New Member

ya it's pointing into the open woods with a empty shell stuck in the chamber (Since have fixed the extractor). We were out in BF Egypt when my sister took that pic after a weekend of camping. :D

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

no it's not a $2500-3000 Citori or Perazzi or some of those other fancy shotguns, but it gets the job done, and it's fit and finish aren't bad IMO. not everyone can afford expensive shotguns and not everyone will shoot competitions with them. people will tend to buy what they can afford or need. i don't have a need for a $2500 plus shotgun, but wouldn't mind having one or two.

Attached Files:

16. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Wow!

There have been a lot of great posts in this thread. Two really hit home with me. Price isn't a huge issue to me, but it just makes sense not to go right to the top when I'm a beginner at this. Regardless, I want a SBS and O/U at some point. But I don't want to cheap out and I know that a good O/U is going to be at least $1,000.

I'm going to go with a Beretta 3901. I'm going to start looking for a used one.

Thanks for all the help everyone!