Which Savage big game rifle to get?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by almostgotme, Feb 8, 2012.

1. almostgotme

almostgotme New Member

Im looking at purchassing a big game rifle for some future hunts. Ive made the decision that it has to be a Savage. I have a couple models in mind but am wondering if anyone has any favorites of their own and if so why. The gun preferably needs to be able to be chambered in a .300 win mag. Thanx

2. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

Savage is is a great choice,I hunt with a .300 WSM Browning A-Bolt but I have a savage sniper rig chambered in a .308 with accu trigger .300 win mag is your best bet lots of options in ammunition

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

It depends on the type of stock you would like,wood or synthetic.
    The metal finish,blued-matte/gloss or stainless steel.
    Type of barrel,Sporter weight or Heavy barrel.
    With or Without a factory muzzle brake.
    Savage makes several models of rifles chambered in 300 Win Mag.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Savage makes wanna be sniper rigs, Not real toys. Where are you a Sniper??

5. jpattersonnh

You may want to consider a used rifle. I know of a "new" as in never fired F series Savage 110 for less then $400.00. She needs a front sight blade, which Savage has for a couple dollars. They were shipped without them. 7mm Remington magnum. I have a G Series Sierra lite in 7mm Rem Mag. Great rifle and round. I like it much better then the new Glock style trigger.

6. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

Im not a sniper but my rifle I set up was sent with two of my co workers to a FBI sniper school where they passed with flying colors the instructors there where impressed with the rig I set up 3.5x10x50 Leupold Mark 4 TMR reticle,but if you really want to get down to a real rig it doesn't top my rifle built by GA precision but the savage will get the job done for a small municipal SWAT team,I mean these guys are not shooting mountain top to mountain top using a McMillan TAC .50

7. jpattersonnh

There are so many that call a rig a sniper rifle, when they are simply a very accurate target gun that has a few extras added. I have a few "Snipers", but my Howa HB although it was intended for a NH police dept for the Sniper roll did not come in w/ the correct stamps. In my hands it is a fun, accurate target/ hunting rig.

8. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

Yeah well,Gunny Hathcock and lots of other snipers used hunting rifles and a M2 Browning machine gun to snipe with.That's like a M-21 hey just rigged up M-14 combat rifle.I just thought I would help a guy out with a big game rifle and hey Savage is a good choice,by the way a sniper is the person not the rifle.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

JP is right. many use the term, "sniper rifle" to decribe an accurate rifle, and IMO is way overused and misused too much. just because it's accurate, has a heavy barrel and a big scope on it, doesn't make it a sniper rifle. so what make a rifle a sniper rifle? IMO, an accurate, precision made rifle, used to eliminate a target with pinpoint accuracy, by a highly trained military or LEO in his current job. so IMO, any rifle, regardless of it's potential accuracy, unless used by someone in the military or LE who uses that rifle in his day to day job, as a sniper is just an accurate target rifle.

10. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

Not if that's what its designed for,then go buy a Knights M-110 or a M-40 "SNIPER RIGS" and hunt with it

11. Axxe55

sorry, but IMO, regardless of manufacturor or builder, doesn't make it a sniper rifle, in regard for whatever it what it's intended purpose. i can buy a Barrett M82A1 rifle in 50 BMG, still doesn't make it a sniper rifle, regardless of the fact it's been used as one, beecause i'm not in the military or LE using it for that purpose. it's just a big caliber target rifle in my hands, period. we can argue the point until the cows come home, but the fact is, regardless of the builder or it's intended marketing or use doesn't make a rifle into a sniper rifle. like i said, the term is misused and overused by the unimformed. until a rifle is actually used by someone in the military to engage a suspect or combatant from a sniping position, it's just a target rifle, period.

12. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

Your right,its not a sniper rifle its a anti material rifle

13. Axxe55

i guess if i buy a 6 1/2" barreled S & W M29, that makes me Dirty Harry?

14. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

No lol,but if I buy a 7" inch barreled AR its a PDW a Personal Defense Weapon.That's like my 10-5 inch SBR is a entry weapon "combat rifle" ETC.

15. jpattersonnh

Almost, You need to go and try a few different rifles on for size and function. Sometimes something as minor as the safety position can make a difference.
    As stated, Savage does make a fine rifle, but I have a hangup about the ball used in the bolt. You really can't feild strip a Savage bolt without the chance of loosing the ball. Without it the rifle is useless. I do own a Savage 110 and I've never had to feild strip the bolt thankfully. I like the simplicity of other bolts better. Classic Mausers are very simple and can be stripped, cleaned and reassembled in a matter of minutes. The M70 is a great platform in pre '64 and new rifles. CZ makes a great rifle, as does Howa and Remington in the 700. All are very simple and proven designs. Again, try a few on and see what you like best.

16. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

Yeah for the price savage is a great rifle,as I said before I hunt large game with a Browning A-Bolt .300 WSM with BOSS system that's my preference,but hey Savage is a good choice too

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I've never had any problems stripping a Savage bolt down,it's a pretty simple task to take apart,and reassemble.

18. jpattersonnh

In the Field? Simple at home, or on a table. I just feel there are simpler bolts on as accurate rifles. I really dislike the Glock like accutrigger also. What is the point?