Which RRA upper

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by humboldtshooter, Apr 28, 2012.

1. humboldtshooter

humboldtshooter New Member

So I have a dilemma. Not a huge one, but I'm debating on getting either the Rock River Varmint 20" or the RRA Predator Pursuit. Does anyone have experience with these 2 uppers? Or like one more than the other? I understand there isn't too much difference in the 2, but am not sure which one to buy!?!

2. Vincine

Vincine New Member

3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

When I was getting ready to buy my RRA, I sent them an e-mail with a bunch of questions and concerns and they came right back with the answers. They're really busy these days, like everyone else, but I think their customer service is still good. Their Varmit and Predator lines are supposed to be very accurate. Good luck!

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Both use wilson barrels which are top notch accuracy barrels.

Just comes down to what features you want. Weight is good for varminting or target shooting where you wont be moving much. It just boils down to which feature set you want.

5. humboldtshooter

That's a good idea, I'll send them an email here soon. RRA definitely has a good line-up and I've watched a few YouTube videos where there reps are extremely knowledgable! Thanks for the insight guys...

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I've had a RRA Varminter for several years,it has been an excellent rifle with zero problems.It shoots very good with anything from 55gr to 75gr bullets.
    Also RRA rifles have the Wylde chambered barrels,and you can shoot 5.56 or 223 ammo out of them without having chamber pressure issues.

[​IMG]

You will have a good rifle in either the Varminter or the Predator Pursuit,and you'll never notice the 1lb difference between the two guns.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

That would be Wilson Arms that RRA use's, better barrel than wilson combat.
    Seen a couple of RRA 24" varments shot some .38" groups with federal 69gr match ammo. Even better with handloads.

9. humboldtshooter

I wish I could see them in person and determine which one I want that way. I know they are both great upper and both have great reviews. Also, I think I'd like to get the bead blasted barrel option. Is there any upside to having the bull barrel over the heavy besides just heat?

10. humboldtshooter

Also, I'm trying to get that "sniper" look to the rifle. That's why I'm being kinda picky.

Attached Files:

11. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I've seen that stock before. What kind is it?

12. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Magpul Precision rifle stock

13. cbibb

cbibb New Member

Mag pull prs I have a 20in rra varmint I have a mag pull prs stock it came with a 2stage trigger which feels like a 1.0 on final stage you will like it.I know I answered one post and commented on another but I have the rifle with that stock on it I also have the 1/8 twist barrel shoots every thing from 80s down to 40s and with the wylde chamber I just neck size and I don't have any problems shoots under 3/4in group at 100m all day long well good luck on your decision

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Appreciate the answers. But for the cost of that stock? I'll save another hundred and change and get an Aimpoint RDS. I like my stock, but that one looks cool. But, looks cool doesn't matter when throwing rounds down the hill, does it?

15. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

If I remember, when I purchased mine it was somewhere around $260. Very solid/comfortable.

16. humboldtshooter

I actually bought this one brand new for about $100 less. There is this man where I'm from who has a shop basically in his garage!! Completely legal might I add. Cost me $180. He only marks his stuff up 10% of cost. I def lucked out. I love the stock, just need a barrel to test it. Lol

17. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Be careful. Magpul is one of the most cloned manufacturer in airsoft. The also license their products for reproduction for airsoft. The **** comes from China and is passed of as the real thing. I have looked into it and they are not the same as the real deal. The licensed product says PTS the cloned stuff is a malicious rip off.

18. Vincine

Vincine New Member

So Amy at RRA responded with:

"The only difference in the 2 rifles is the barrels, the Varmint has a heavy bull barrel, which is a large diameter, and the Predator just has a heavy stainless .750 diameter barrel."

I'm guessing the presumption is Varmint = Prairie Dogs, and/or a lot of repetitive shooting like range work. The Predator, not so much.

19. humboldtshooter

Thanks for that. I figured it was just the barrels, I just needed to hear others POV on them to help me make my decision. Thanks again.

20. humboldtshooter

I've heard of this as well, not to worry though, I know him pretty well. I also picked the stock out of his magpul catalog. Just for ease of mind, this "PTS" is located where?