Which Round

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Polygon, Apr 30, 2012.

1. .308

28 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. 30-06

32 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. 7mm

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I'm hoping this hasn't been asked to death. I'm going to be buying my first long range rifle shortly and I want to get a Remington 700. I just don't know what I want it in.

I talked to my father and was thinking about .308 or 30-06 and he said not to bother with them and that I wanted a flatter shooting round like the 7mm. However, the 7mm is twice the price and lacks the reloading options of the other two.

Is there any truth to what he said?

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Please let me clarify. For most, I would immediately

hawk the 30.06.

As a first gun, IMHO, the .308 may be better.

But you may also want to re-think things a little bit,

as most would suggest you consider starting out with

22LR.

I've never regretted getting, having, and shooting

my .22LR rifles and pistols. Purchased primarily for

the range, they are great training tools,

and fun for the whole family.

3. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I just got to love them .22LRs. But those 7mm's are very deadly to both man and beast.

4. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Ah, let me clarify....

This my first long range rifle of my own. I have shot many high caliber rifles. They just weren't mine and it's been a while. I also already own a couple of .22LR that I shoot regularly.

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

The US Secret Service has seen the merits of the 7mm Rem magnum as a sniping round. This rifle will shoot a very aerodynamic 160 gr bullet at around 3000-3100 fps, plus has an advantage in both energy and trajectory.

They have been known to take down a bull elk weighing an average of 710 lb, standing 4.9 ft at the shoulder and averaging 8.2 ft in length.

Some hunters say that the same model rifle with a 7mm Rem magnum load and 175 grain bullet will have the recoil edge on the 300 with a 150 grain bullet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  6. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

My first long range rifle was a Remington 700 sps tactical in .308 and I love it!!
    It covers all my needs for long range as I'm still working out to longer ranges(500 yards right now) it took me a little while to work out this far and im still learning alot. So unless you are already shooting out this far and farther, I would recommend the .308. Plus ammo is widely available in different grains and won't break the bank every time you need to buy more.

Plus when I do get into hunting I know I have a round that can take most of the larger game. Hog hunting is what I will probably be doing since deer hunting is pretty hard here.

7. cottontop

cottontop Guest

By 7mm, I assume you are talking about the 7mm Remington Magnum?
    cottontop

8. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I also recommend the .308. It is a very versatile and inherently accurate round. There is a big range of bullet weights available for this cartridge. Ammunition and reloading components are usually available and affordable. The .308 can take down big game and punch tight groups in paper. It would be a good choice.

9. cbibb

cbibb New Member

308 for sure short action and countless reloading options I got a 223 for that reason my next rifle will be a 308 I have a 40x action that needs rebarreled when I get the money good luck

10. TLuker

TLuker New Member

It all depends on what you want to do with the gun. If you just want to shoot long range then .308 is the way to go. Hunting at long range is a different matter. You can still take game on out there with a .308, but there are calibers that would probably be better for hunting? I really do think most people are shooting calibers that are complete overkill. To me a .270 is an elk caliber and complete overkill on deer. I even seem to recall reading years ago that the .270 was created for elk? A .243 will kill just about anything in North America so don't ever worry about a .308 not being enough gun.

With that said, the bigger bullets still offer advantages for hunting at long distances. You have more room for error with a flatter shooting bullet such as a 7mm mag. You have time to make precise adjustments in order to hit a paper target at long distances with a .308. You might not have that time while hunting. A fast bullet lets you shoot further without worrying about adjustments and your adjustments don't have to be quite as precise for the same distance.

So it all depends on what you want to do. :)

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

While the 308 & 30/06 are great calibers to shoot long range with,the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 7mm-08 would be a better choice for just starting out with Long Range.And the 6.5 and 7mm bullets have better ballistics than the 30 calibers.
    Both would also have less recoil than the .30 calibers.

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

And when you really wanna step up, ream your .30-06 into an Ackley Improved chamber and shoot that ".308 Magnum."

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

any of the calibers you listed are good candidates for shooting long range. now is this long range hunting or target shooting? because then depending on the range and what you're shooting will have to be factored in.

there are many great bullets in the 7mm size in many different bullet weights. now buying 7mm ammo factory loaded, regardless of which, there will be a short selection in bullet weights. but reloading the 7mm, you open up options not available in factory loaded ammo.

i have all three calibers and reload for all three. so i can tailor different loads to each rifle. but i also have three different rifles in 7mm, a 7mm Rem. Mag., a 7mm-08 and a 280 Rem. so when reloading i use a variety of 7mm bullets.

14. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Thanks for all the responses so far. They've been very informative. To answer some questions.... I intend to use the gun mainly for target. I certainly don't want to rule out hunting though. I've got a desire to and it would be nice to do that in the future if I decide to.

I was referring to the 7mm Remington Mag. I really didn't think to include other variants of 7mm. Transversely to the original question, are there any that are better than another?

15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

.308..enough rifle to get the job done. cheapest ammo. less recoil= more shots. shoot more than a box or two of the other calibers and you will not like how your shoulder feels. and for longe range it takes plenty of practice shots before becoming proficient

16. akers06

akers06 New Member

I like the .270 I have owned a few but I'm not a big rifle guy bc here in Ohio you can only deer hunt with shotguns....but I have killed a few deer with a .270 and I have never had one that didn't drop and man does it do a number on coyotes the furthest I ever shot one of mine is 300 yards and I kept about a 3" group

17. TLuker

TLuker New Member

All of the 7mm bullets are great bullets (7mm-08, 7mm Mauser, .280, and 7mm mag). The problem is finding them, and then paying for them after you do. Go price a box of any of those bullets and then compare that to their 30 caliber equivalent. Sometimes you can find them for about the same price as their 30 caliber equivalent, but more often than not they are a lot higher (if you can find them). There are also far few choices in bullet sizes. I wouldn't recommend any of the 7mm bullets unless, as axe55 pointed out, you reload. Now if you reload that's another story. :)

18. Polygon

Polygon New Member

My father used to reload when I was really young and he still has all the equipment and tools. That's certainly something to consider.

So, the consensus is:

.308 > 30/06 (If you go by the posts).
    .308 ≈ 30/06 (If you go by the votes).
    7mm > .308 & 30/06 (If you're going to reload).

So, I have to ask. Was my father correct then? Is the 7mm a flatter shooting round than the .308 and 30/06?

19. akers06

akers06 New Member

I believe so a 7mm mag is a sweet shooting round a 7mm short mag is even better along with a .270 short mag

20. Polygon

Polygon New Member

The more I'm looking at the cost of all the 7mm rounds, I must say I think it's out. So, it's down to the .308 and 30/06.