Which rifle should I go with?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by brianhurley707, Jan 21, 2014.

1. brianhurley707

brianhurley707 New Member

Thinking about getting a new deer rifle ready before next season. Wondering what you guys think between a few different rifles. Note that I am still young and have plenty of time to build up some nice rifles when I really have the money. The three I'm thinking of are a Ruger American in 30-06, browning xbolt or Remington 700 in 7mm Remington mag. The obvious choice for quality would be the rem or browning, but dropping nearly a grand on a new rifle doesn't sound that great. My current deer rifle is a 700 in 308 but it has a bull barrel making it a little to heavy to shoot standing while running brush. I'd match the rifle up with a leupold vx series, not sure exactly which one. Preferably a 4x12x40. What do you guys think?

2. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Sorry, I cant help ya...
    Im a Savage guy.;)

Jim

3. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I have a Rem M700 .308 bull barrel set-up for long distance hunting and a Rem M700 BDL in 30-06 set-up for the woods with iron sights and see through scope rings. I take it anytime I have to do a lot of walking. My recommendation would be for you to go that route and stick with Remington that way everything is the same between rifles expect for the weight. All though the Brownings are nice, but if you do decide to go Browning look at the A-bolt II's before you get an x-bolt. Cycle the bolt on both a few times and then decide.

As for the price, it's never going to get any easier to pay that much for a rifle. But think of this way, if you get a good Remington or Browning now it will last you from now on and you will never need to fork over that sort of cash again. If you get a cheaper rifle you're still going to want that Remington or Browning later and you'll end up spending what that cheap rifles costs plus the extra later on. :)

4. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Remington, if it's the BDL or higher end rifle.

The American is what, $400? Which 700 is it?

But like phideaux, I'm a Savage guy myself. :D

5. brianhurley707

Haha I've never been a savage guy.

Tlurker that's exactly what I'm weighing.. Whether having a rifle that gets me by now, or possibly waiting til next year for a nice one haha. But I think that you're right, not to waste the money on something that kinda does the job. I was also thinking the same with my current 700, using that on stand or from the jeep when shooting fast and un-rested usually isn't the case. But I have heard great stuff about the American rifle.. Main reason I'm even considering a cheaper rifle since I usually don't do that.

6. brianhurley707

I've had the opportunity to pick up the ruger for 300$, the 700 in 7 mag that I would get would be somewhere around 800$ at least after dros and tax.

7. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Of the lower end rifle's I sold and handled while working at Walmart, the Ruger American was the best IMO, smoother action than Remington's 783, never had a 700ADL or SPS in to check between those, but every American, .30-06, .308, etc, was smooth as silk, and the bluing looked good! Only 700ADL I can compare it to is my dad's but that's a vintage 1974, so it's broke in.

8. brianhurley707

I too sell guns for dicks sporting goods, so I've worked as many actions as I can showing guns all day, that why I'm putting the unproven ruger in with such proven quality rifles. Because it feels like quality! Have you fired one or know someone who has?

9. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Congrats on the New American Ruger,i've heard a lot of positive reports on the rifle....And at 300.00 sounds like a good deal.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

11. brianhurley707

I've actually already got one.. Haha. Thanks for the input though. I'm just looking for something that I could shoot out 500-600 yds. But do you know anything about the PPU soft points in 7.62x54r? How's your Winchester sp's?

12. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

If you were willing to consider the Ruger American, take a look at the Marlin XL7. I have one and it is amazing. And you can find them for under $400 normally. I got mine for $300.

13. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

I don't know what the fascination is with trying to shoot deer at 500yds when you can surely sneak/stalk in closer and close the range to 100 - 200yds and make a confirmed killing shot instead of having to track a badly wounded animal for miles and also increase the chance of losing it which also gives the anti mobs more ammo against us.

Anyway a good hunting rifle to me will be nicely balanced with a good 6x -8x 'scope on it probably weigh in around 3-5kgs total a good smooth trigger and for the hunter the ability to be able to hit an animal out to 200yds either standing up or using a rest like a tree or rock and also be able to use the wind and any cover to lessen the range to make a clean 1 shot kill.

Calibres for deer from what you've mentioned is basically personnel choice but I like the 30/06 as it's got a good range of projectiles from 110gn up to 220gn especially if you reload with plenty of knockdown power for deer.

I would try and get a shot out of the 3 calibres and see which 1 suits you recoil wise because the wrong calibre will make you develop a bad flinch and once you develop that it's hard to cure.

14. brianhurley707

We'll I didn't say that I wanted to kill something out to 500-600 for that reason. I have a club competition that we shoot bowling balls out to that distance. Can't shoot like that with a 30-30 for example. I can take recoil at this point I'm still young. It's mostly about the trajectory of the round I'm interested in,note the two rounds I mentioned(7 mag and 30-06) both rounds capable of that shot.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Whatever rifle you choose I would find a rifle that fits you, just like a shotgun. Any of the calibers you have selected have some recoil. If you have a stock that is way to long for you it will be difficult to enjoy shooting that rifle.

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You can shoot your 91/30 that far. Winchester SP ammo might do it. Usually 174 gr HPBT ammo will shoot very well. You need a long, heavy bullet for the 91/30. It is rifled to shoot 212 gr bullets.

17. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

No, the only Ruger rifle that has appeals to me is the 10/22, other than that, it's just Ruger Pistols for me.

I don't know of a friend who's shot one, but all over just about any forum for firearms/weapons I've seen is good reviews. Ruger makes a quality product.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you considered shortening the barrel on your current rifle? 19" or 20" would balance better and even less barrel whip. Most accurate rifle I have shot was a 19" Winchester in 243 I set up for my wife. The barrel was heavy for caliber and it would shoot 1 hole 5 shot groups that looked like 1 shot at 100 yards with hand loads.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

Winchester white box is moa out of all my 91/30's I've got a pu sniper and two regular 91/30.

Shooting deer at 500yds isn't kosher.

Shooting targets at 500 yards cheap rifles like ruger american or savage axis really don't cut it because they have thin hunting barrels. Thin hunting barrels are designed for one shot to about 200 yds well not shot after shot as in target shooting.