Which Rifle For Me?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Olympus, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'm having a hard time deciding on a new 22 rifle. Gun has to be a heavy barrel bolt action and decent looking wood is a priority. I'd be comfortable spending up to about $800 on the gun. But I keep going back and forth on what to get. Savages are good guns, but their wood is plain and I don't want laminate. I was about set on a CZ, but their wood is pretty plain with the occasional nice piece. None of my local shops carry any CZs so I'd be taking a gamble on getting one with nice wood. I even called Buds to see if I could pay extra for a hand-select and they said no. I love the Sako Quad Varmint, but you can't find one for sale. Browning T-Bolt Target is an option but there seems to be a lack of information on them like theyre not very popular. Annies just look too plain and are really out of my price range. As are Coopers. Kimber stopped making a target 22. I've been all over Rimfire Central forum and still can't find "the one". Any suggestions or recommendations?

Gun won't be used for any kind of competitions. I just want a good looking, good shooting target 22. Gun will have a scope mounted, so no iron sights.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe you should concentrate on the barreled action and have a stock made for it. My CZ 452 has a Walnut stock but it looks very plain. It is so dark it hides the grain and figure. It would be possible to strip and refinish for a lighter tone to better see the wood. This may be the case with the other rifles. There is a 452 in 22m at the lgs that has a really nice stock so it is hit or miss. Possible direct contact with CZ might get you what you are looking for. I have seen several T bolts that had nice wood. Ruger 77/22 has some decent wood but the heavy barrel stock is laminate.

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

It doesnt have a heavy barrel, but what about a Weatherby MK. XXII?

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I stopped by a shop that actually had a CZ 453. I was very unimpressed with the trigger, particularly the set feature. Very gritty feeling pushing forward and it had a noticeable amount of side to side play. I called CZ about buying a replacement stock and even said I'd pay extra for a premium piece. They said that would not be possible. I am hesitant to buy an aftermarket stock. I've bought a stock from Richards Microfit and it was a horrible experience, long wait, and there was a ton of work that still had to be done.

Can't find any shops that have a T-bolt in stock that I could look at.

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If they still made them and if they offered a heavy barrel, that would definitely be what I'm looking for.

6. hotrod1016

hotrod1016 New Member

Why not build a Ruger 10/22. You can find everything for the fun and build the way you want it.

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I thought they did still make them? Just in a bolt action with no open sights...
    Maybe you could find a used one and put a target barrel on it?

I have one of the older Italian semi-auto's and I love it.. I wish I had a nice older Mk. V in a Weatherby cal., but their so expensive...

I dont know about competitions, but I can out-plink all my buddies and their spiffy 10/22's ;)

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I already own a 10/22. I want a bolt action now.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Used ones are pretty difficult to mind. By the time I buy a new barrel, reblue it or get a stainless, widen the channel of the stock, and have the barrel installed in the action, I'm going to be outside what I'd prefer to spend.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

11. JTJ

Just got back from the range and there is a NIB Weatherby MK22 on the rack. He is asking $850. NIB means it was previously owned but is in new condition. I see a lot of guns in this town that people bought but never fired. I can get you contact info if you are interested.

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I appreciate the offer. I will keep that option open, but I'd really like to find something with a heavy barrel if I can.

13. JTJ

I did not handle it but did not notice sights and the barrel looked to be on the heavy side. I will check it out next time I am over there. Price is high to me. I could not bring myself to spend $850 on a pretty rifle in 22lr.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

PM me the contact info and I will call and get the scoop.

15. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Another option is the Marlin XT22-VR, heavy barrel .22lr (Marlin part #70835), about $183, depending on where you shop.
    but you'd have to slap on a Walnut Stock...which are currently out of stock at Boyd's, but they've got other offerings on hand...
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Repla...9&cat=124&show=12&page=1&brand=MARLIN 800 900
    All Marlin 800/900 series stocks fit the XT22's, with little hand-fitting.

Of course, one could find an OEM Marlin 880SQ stock for a direct fit...or one for a Marlin 2000...
    Richard's Microfit Gunstocks occasionally has 800/900 series stocks, and can build specifically to the customer's wishes...

I love taking inexpensive Marlins with kickin Microgroove barrels and slapping good stocks on 'em...
    once bedded, they rival anything out there...and it makes it easy to keep the Wifey shooting & happy!!
    [​IMG]

16. JTJ

I looked at the Weatherby and it is a medium weight barrel with no irons. Nice taper not a straight bull barrel. I dont think it would look as good with a straight bull barrel and Weatherby is all about looks.

17. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Thanks. I will keep that as an option. I'm going to try to locate a T-bolt target so that I can get a firsthand look at it to see if it's really what I want or not.

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Well, I ended up going with the CZ 455 Varmint. The Lilja barrel option sealed the deal for me. The problem is none of the distributors in my area had any in stock. I was able to find an online dealer that had one left and I ordered it. It was a great price. $375 for the gun and including shipping and transfer fee, the OTD total will still be cheaper than if one the local dealers could have ordered it. Now I'm going to order the Lilja!