Which Remington 700?!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Trip83, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Trip83

Trip83 New Member

Im looking for a Remington 700.. Im trying to decide from a Model 700™ SPS™ Tactical, Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint, Model 700™ VTR™... These are a few I like and are in my price range.. Any advise or suggestions are welcome!! Thanks!!

2. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Everybody is going to give you a different opinion on this one. Everybody is going to probably tell you it is a good caliber but it is a crappy stock on the SPS models. With that said, I owned a 7mm Rem Mag with an SPS model stock, never had any problems with it and it shot great. I sold it so I can buy a Sendero with the stainless fluted barrel and HS stock. I don't know what kind of shooting you're going to be doing, but unless you are going to be shooting a lot of rounds and really warming up the barrel, I would think the SPS would be fine. I kinda have my eye on a 22-250 SPS Varmint.

3. Wambli

Wambli Member

What are you going to use the rifle for?

4. Trip83

Trip83 New Member

Well I will be using the rifle for target shooting. I will also be carrying it on duty. Im already on the rifle team on our department and carry a Rock River AR15... Im not a sniper but this would kinda be a O Sh*t rifle. So I was thinking of 308 or 223. ive talked with 2 of the snipers on our swat team one shoots 308 and the other 300.

5. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

.308 sps tactical is a hoot to shoot.... my friend has it and I have an sps varmint in .270....feels a little too plastic-y

6. Wambli

Wambli Member

If there is potential use to end a threat the .308 has the clear advantage only because it has a better chance of defeating a barrier. The .300 (WSM or WinMag) is WAY overkill for urban police snipers. Acording to the FBI numbers just about all police sniper shootings happen inside 120 yards IIRC. The SPS tactical would fill your need very nicely. Make sure you get your dope real tight from 10-150 yards. The last thing you want in actual use is to be guessing where your bullet is going to land at 45 yards if you only have a few inches to thread it through.

7. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I would get the tactical esp. in .308, depending on where our job is I usually have my M14 with me. I'd rather have the extra power and not need it then need it and not have it.

8. Trip83

Trip83 New Member

thanks guys for the advise.. i ended up getting a remington 700 sps tactical in 308... im looking forward to taking it to the range soon and sighting it in!! thanks again!

9. Wambli

Wambli Member

Good choice! I'm probably picking a .308 SPS Varmint for my son this weekend. great rifles.

10. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

If the gun feels a bit too "plastic" you could always have someone make you a custom stock and have it bedded properly to keep that outstanding accuracy.

At the moment I'm waiting to start my build project on my Remington 700 in 338 Win Mag. If all goes as planned I'll have a nice long range sledge hammer for steel shooting. Give us a range report when you get the chance to take that SPS out for a trial run.

11. Trip83

Trip83 New Member

The rifle has a hogue stock on it thats real nice.. I have no plan replace the stock... BUT, if I did.. i would like something with urban camo.. or urban tiger camo...

12. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

That can be easily accomplshed on a synthetic stock (as long as its not rubbery) or wood with a simple process called Hydro-Dip. Check out their website Hydro-Dip.com, plenty of camo patterns and several of them you can adjust for a custom color and look. The stuff acts as a sealer on wood and is tough as all get out, since its used on automotive stuff as well.

13. Trip83

Trip83 New Member

well.. the hogue stock has a rubber coating on it for gripping... but i might buy a synthetic stock just to have it painted! thanks for the website!!

14. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

No problem, I plan on using the stuff on my extra fiberglass stock for my Remington 700. Just havent settled on a pattern yet.

15. choctaw

choctaw New Member

The Hogue overmolded stocks are junk. They flex when using a bipod and will change the POI. I recently purchased the Rem 5R, what a rifle for the money, great stock with no need for replacement and accurate as all get out. 308 of course.

Don't fall for the hype on the triangular barrels either.