Which Press is right for me? The Answer.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by cpttango30, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

Greg, my JR2 is a 1969 version, an the RS is a 1977 version. both have the ram linkage like that pictured in your first picture, the JR. they have cast on one side "RCBS" and "JR2" and "RS" on the other. if they didn't have the model number cast into them, they would be almost identical. the opening size is the same as well. the only real difference is the handle grip. the JR2 has simple plain black one and the RS has ribbed and fingered green one like a bicycle grip. the 1969 JR2 was given to me by my father many years ago. he bought it brand new. the 1977 RS i bought at a garage sale in the late 1980's best i remember with a bunch of other stuff.

so going by your pictures and descriptions, then neither of mine have the compound linkage.

thank you for providing the link. i'll save it to my favorites.

Greg_r likes this.
  2. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

Interesting. I learned something. Did a quick search after reading your post. Seems the JR3 and the RS are the same press, just renamed. Downloaded the operator manual and RCBS titled it the JR 3 or R.S.

From what I read, it seems the RS2 added the compound linkage, and the RS3 was when they changed to aluminum.

Thanks!

Dallas53 likes this.

3. Dallas53

i didn't know either, just that they appeared to be similar. there are some very minor differences, like the grips on the handles, and some of the retaining clips are a little bit different. and the model cast into the frame.

but i did learn that mine doesn't have compound linkage as i thought before.

one thing i learned a long time ago was that RCBS stamped the last two digits of the year the press was made into the boss where the dies thread into. i don't know if they still do that or not. i was told they do the same with their dies as well. i'll go out and look at some of them and see if they have a date on them too.

4. PaPow

PaPow Active Member

There are far cheaper presses than harrell that will do the same thing.
    But hey, its your money, overspend all you wish..!

Dallas53 likes this.
  5. Ireload2

Ireload2 Member

Not really true.
    Like most high quality tools I own I bought it used and cheap off of Craigs List. For the most part I pay less for that equipment than the cheap guys pay for their new Lee stuff.
    Few people really use their equipment hard. They use it a little for a year two and eventually get rid of it. So I get stuff that is like new for half price to 25% of new. That is how I wound up with so many tools. Many of the tools are just extras when some guy sold me everything when all I really wanted was his brass. Some of this was inherited from a friend when he died.

To sum it up
    Reloading is supposed to be a more economical way to ammo for me. I buy most brass once fired. All my equipment is bought for less than what you pay new. I never over pay so I can make a profit on any thing I sell. I buy bullets from guys that sell out of reloading. About all I buy new is powder and primers.

But if you want to over pay for cheap stuff it is ok with me.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    SWSinTN likes this.
  6. Dallas53

and just what is wrong with Lee Equipment?

you really come off as brand snob to me. i have several sets of Lee dies and they turn out just as accurate ammo as my more expensive RCBS dies.

and i wholeheartedly recommend people searching Ebay and Craigslist looking for deals on used reloading equipment, but i use to scour our local Craigslist listings and very, very seldom would see any reloading equipment for sale. so if i had to rely upon Craigslist to outfit myself for reloading, i wouldn't be reloading right now!

and i'm kind of curious as to your intents and motivations of joining this forum. is it to share information and learn, or to criticize and toot your own horn as to how great you are? because much of what comes across in your posts is arrogance and a condescending attitude of a person with poor people skills. just an observation personally!

but i'm human and i have been wrong before and i sometimes make mistakes. after all i don't consider myself perfect like some people!

Shopfox likes this.
  7. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I scour Craigslist and find gems like this:
    https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/spo/d/lee-precision-shotshell/6386029343.html

$55 for a press that can be bought new and shipped to your doorstep for $60 (or less), with a possibility of return.

I don't believe a complete collection of quality reloading equipment and gear is being bought at 25%-50% off new prices via Craigslist - at least not in a few month period, and not without racking up some mileage in that "not free to drive" car.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. Shopfox

Fast, cheap, accurate (quality). Pick any 2. If the tools are really bargain priced and good quality, that means they weren't acquired fast - in reality "deals" are rare, and if a "deal" is found, I doubt time and vehicle expenses are factored in - at least not when bragging.

I made a firearm trade that required about 2 hours of driving (each way, so 4 hours total). It would be easy for me to brag about how astute of a trader I am, and neglect to mention I spent $120 in gas and depreciation to pull it off. Plus, if I put $10 an hour on my time, there's another $40 chip-in.

Same logic applies to reloading gear. Aquiring it used is not free.

Dallas53 likes this.
  9. Dallas53

i suggest searching Craigslist, but my "local" Craigslist area covers a few hundred square miles! so if i have to drive 150 miles one way to buy something, by the time i factor in the cost of fuel, just how much did i save? maybe not that much! and used reloading equipment very seldom shows up on our local listings.

now i have gotten some really decent deals on used stuff on Ebay though. i factor in their shipping costs to see if it beats what i can buy it for new. then if it does and the seller has a good rating, then i'll buy it.

but i buy a lot of reloading equipment and components from MidwayUSA and Midsouth. they have some decent pricing on their stuff.

10. Shopfox

"I never over pay so I can make a profit on any thing I sell."
    This is a gem. My hobby is buying, fixing, and reselling things. I fund my gun money almost exclusively by doing this. Over the past 4-5 weeks, I've made enough to buy a new AR-15 with a Vortex Strike Eagle. In short, I buy and sell a lot.

I don't screw up often, and research before I buy - and I can honestly say, "I have overpayed" on occassion.

The crew on this site are seasoned and not easily impressed with delusions of grandeur and BS.

Dallas53 likes this.
  11. Ireload2

Ireload2 Member

Jumping to conclusions big d?
    Did I say anything was wrong with Lee?
    I will say that the Lee beam scale is a steaming pile of garbage. If you want mine you can have it--- but YOU have to pay the shipping. I have 3 Autoscales, 3 RCBS 5-10s, a Bair scale, a Lyman 500 and a RCBS 505. They are all better scales than the sorry poorly dampened Lee scale.
    Maybe you are just trying to be a Lee snob?
    I might have more Lee stuff than you. I know I have enough to have well informed opinions about it .

You seem to be the self appointed resident critic to me. Why did you join this forum? To follow others around with endless "protect the noobies" comments even in threads that you do not contribute to?

Or this thread where you are sticking your nose into other's discussions for no apparent reason. You are not contributing a thing. You should get a thicker skin because I get to have my opinions whether you like them or not.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  12. Dallas53

oh by all means, please carry on then! don't let my opinions get in your way!

enjoy yourself!

13. Ireload2

Ireload2 Member

So your bragging is superior to everyone else's bragging? Who says time has to be factored in? If you buy something new you also spend time shopping for it. If purchased from a store you have time and mileage too. So what is your beef?
    Where did you get the idea I acquired my loading equipment fast and why would fast be a criteria. It is not a race. I have been acquiring loading tools for almost 50 years.

14. Ireload2

Ireload2 Member

Does that mean that you think you are the only diligent shopper in the country?
    I can say that I do not over pay. The Harrells press was picked up while running an errand and the seller met me on the frontage road of the interstate.
    So don't kid yourself. You are not the only one who tracks prices on the internet.
    I have been buying stuff at gun shows for about 40 years and off of ebay more than 15 years. I have also bought a lot of stuff from forum classified ads and gun broker too. So go ahead and brag if you enjoy wasting your time.

15. Ireload2

Ireload2 Member

Thanks I knew you would see it my way.

16. Dallas53

Whatever partner. :rolleyes:

enjoy talking to yourself. i have suspicion that you are going to be ignored by most here.

17. Ireload2

Ireload2 Member

Don't you bave a hall that needs to be monitored?
    Based on what I see so far I have much to contribute here. I am sure the rest of your opinions will be worth exactly what tbey cost.

18. PaPow

PaPow Active Member

This thread has run its course, it should be shut down.
    Hopefully the new year will bring happiness instead of madness.

Dallas53 likes this.
  19. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I generally do not fix and resell, but I have a habit of going to a yard sale in the middle of the afternoon when the sellers have lost patience. Make a low ball offer for everything that's left and then sell it on one of the auction sites. It's amazing how much somebody will pay for things!

SWSinTN likes this.
  20. Ireload2

Ireload2 Member

If you are patient you can get good deals.
    I already have a full range of loading equipment several times over so there is little motivation to buy anything that is not a steal.
    I have 5 Forster and 4 Wilson case trimmers. So it would be nearly impossible to sell me another trimmer. Most were just extras when I bought out someone's stash of cases or entire collection of reloading tools. Same goes for scales, measures and dies.
    I once bought a RCBS A4 BIG MAX press with some other stuff including a Bonanza COAX Bench priming tool. I sold the priming tool and now have relatively little in a great press.
    Another time I got a similar deal on a MEC Sizemaster, a RCBS A2 a lead pot and some dies.
    I bought a bullet sizer for $30 and passed on a near new RCBS turret press that I should have bought.
    Good deals on presses are out there but the Obama panic years has made competition for them greater.

?

Shopfox likes this.