Which one

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by woody63m, Jan 17, 2012.

1. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Want to get a 1911 which one ahould i get im thinking about a springfield any opinions would be apprecuated

2. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I have an SA Loaded model...
    Around 1500 flawless rounds through it. I can recommend it. A Range Officer would be a great choice too.
    [​IMG]

3. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Member Lifetime Supporter

I have the SA Range officer and love it. Depending on your budget, there are a lot of quality 1911's on the market. Go to your LGS and try them all.

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Alot of options out there,are you wanting a fullsize or a commander size? Springfield makes a damn good 1911. They also have a mid size "champion" that is nice

5. woody63m

woody63m New Member

I dont know tje difference

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Full size = full size frame/ 5" barrel
    Commander = full size frame/ 4.25" barrel

Commander may be a little more concealable, but you sacrifice almost 3/4" in sight radius (would that matter in a 1-5 yard engagement? Personal question only you can answer)
    Commander will also serve well on the range, but the full size may be a bit easier to group with.

7. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

In my humble opinion, the most difficult part of a 1911 to hide (from a concealability standpoint) is the grip portion of the gun. Those are the same exact size on a full-size and commander 1911.
    If this is your very 1st 1911 - I would say go with a full size (5" barrell). That is what I did when I 1st got one. You can always pick up a smaller one later (don't think that, once you get this one, it will be your last 1911).

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Ed Brown Kobra Carry and the Dan Wesson C-BOB with the "bobbed" main spring housing address the grip print issue (I have both).

1911's have a large range of prices when new. The used market has some great deals, but you have to be careful. There are numerous "parts changers" that have been known to create problems in an otherwise good 1911.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have been very happy with my Colt Model O1070XSE.

[​IMG]

In it's original condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With some mods.

[​IMG]

My Colt with the CCG 460 Rowland conversion.

10. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

That's awesome!

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

What is your intended use for it? That drives a number of choices.
    How much are you willing to spend?

For general range use: SA Range officer or one of the standard size (5" barrel) Loaded models that strikes your fancy. I have have a SA Trophy match that is brilliant, if you budget reaches that high, it's worth a look.
    Concealment, as you've seen, there are a number of opinions on what's best. My CC 1911 is a DW CCO. Officer sized frame (Compact) w/ a commander sized barrel. I don't believe that SA makes any Officer frame based 1911s (The EMP is a different breed of cat as far as I know.) Colt and others do, however. Worth noting, the SA Armory Champions are 4" rather than the more traditional 4.25". A friend of mine found this out after he bought it. It is a source of irritation to him, he likes swapping & tinkering with things and the non-standard size bugs him. I'm sure 98% of buyers don't really care.

12. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Just a range gun i wouldnt be CC this one i have my XD 40 for that

13. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

here are a couple beginner types

[​IMG]